• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nearmint's rather petite Wizard World LA Con report!

74 posts in this topic

RyanH's AWESOME Keen Detective Funnies #20...

P1020624.jpg

You can't cover up a Marvel Mystery 9 with a KDF #20 :P

You can when it's the Church copy!

That marking on the cover kinda resembles the little cursive D on the Crippen copies...

Glad you two made a love connection .. .......I'll have to tell ya though , I've never seen four guys in a hotel room more content , focused and excited , ........w/ out strippers that is ... \(shrug\)

The strippers were all with me, behind the camera.

Glad you two made a love connection .. .......I'll have to tell ya though , I've never seen four guys in a hotel room more content , focused and excited , ........w/ out strippers that is ... \(shrug\)

:makepoint: photography 101 :strippers first, comic geeks second!

:makepoint: photography 101 :strippers first, comic geeks second!

Exactly, you should have had the (coff coff) "ladies" pose with the books like so many Ebay auctions we see, intead of watching a bunch of dateless nerds gawk at them strewn around the floor. :D

Thanks for posting the photos Jeff, some really nice books in this thread.

Sorry to chime in so late. Been super busy these past few days.

Show was amazing! Thanks to Richard, Ryan, Steve, Matt, and Jeff for the great geek out session. I look forward to doing it again (on a much grander scale) in Chicago this year :)

It was a lot of fun getting to spend a day with so many passionate GA collectors.

Ronaldo will tell you that I stared at this book so long, that this image was burned into my retinas until the next day:

marvel60detail.jpg

Ryan was most definitely smitten with this book!

You should have heard the sexual favors he was offering Bedrock for it :o

Ronaldo will tell you that I stared at this book so long, that this image was burned into my retinas until the next day:

marvel60detail.jpg

Ryan was most definitely smitten with this book!

You should have heard the sexual favors he was offering Bedrock for it :o

NOT TRUE! NOT TRUE!! :o

... I didn't know he was accepting favors for this book. :tonofbricks:

Great read and photos to boot. Looked like a good time (sans strippers even).

Just curious, but I think I see a CGC 5.0 and an unslabbed copy of Daring Mystery Comics #1. Who do those belong to? They look like they belong to one of Bedrock's funny book stacks hm

Jeff and Ryan,

Great report and photos. The show was great fun. The return trip was not.

Let me list the ways.

Left Blythe Az on Monday morning, the start the first half of the drive back.

Got to Ft Stockton Tx about 11:30 pm. No hotel vacancies.

Three hours later and three small towns and still no vacancies so I figured I would make the overnight drive and get into Houston at about 7:30am. Man was I wrong!!!!!

Got the weather service tornado warning at the same time as the tornado itself (or at least the peripheral high winds) about twenty miles west of Junction TX at 4am.

Managed to make it under an overpass with a wind break so the van didn't blow over. After a couple of minutes it mellowed out a little so I pulled out to try to get ahead of the storm.

About a mile and and half down the road the hail started. And it got bigger. And it got bigger. And it got bigger. And it is very, very loud on a metal van roof.

At about golfball size I stopped and waited for the windshield to pop, or the van to blow over, all the while smelling ozone as lighting bolts are hitting everything.

I might have screamed a little...

Well all ended well...about 6am I stopped in Seguin Tx (just east of San Antonio, and a couple of hundred miles from home), got some food, stretched, gassed up and got back on the road.

And as soon as I pulled back on the freeway... a blowout!

Yeah!!!!! I love changing flats. Especially on a van loaded down with comics.

Wrestle with the lug nuts, get the jack up, get the flat off, and I am starting to put the spare on when the truck falls off the jack.

Fortunately I was in front of a car dealership and when they got there they helped get me back on the road.

No bodily damage, thank goodness, but I am wondering if I might have charged too much for one of the comics I sold at the show.

No bodily damage, thank goodness, but I am wondering if I might have charged too much for one of the comics I sold at the show.

I don't know but it sounds like you will need to charge more for a few at the next show. Sounds like scary stuff. Glad you're okay Richard.

Jeff and Ryan,

Great report and photos. The show was great fun. The return trip was not.

Let me list the ways.

Left Blythe Az on Monday morning, the start the first half of the drive back.

Got to Ft Stockton Tx about 11:30 pm. No hotel vacancies.

Three hours later and three small towns and still no vacancies so I figured I would make the overnight drive and get into Houston at about 7:30am. Man was I wrong!!!!!

Got the weather service tornado warning at the same time as the tornado itself (or at least the peripheral high winds) about twenty miles west of Junction TX at 4am.

Managed to make it under an overpass with a wind break so the van didn't blow over. After a couple of minutes it mellowed out a little so I pulled out to try to get ahead of the storm.

About a mile and and half down the road the hail started. And it got bigger. And it got bigger. And it got bigger. And it is very, very loud on a metal van roof.

At about golfball size I stopped and waited for the windshield to pop, or the van to blow over, all the while smelling ozone as lighting bolts are hitting everything.

Well all ended well...about 6am I stopped in Seguin Tx (just east of San Antonio, and a couple of hundred miles from home), got some food, stretched, gassed up and got back on the road.

And as soon as I pulled back on the freeway... a blowout!

Yeah!!!!! I love changing flats. Especially on a van loaded down with comics.

Wrestle with the lug nuts, get the jack up, get the flat off, and I am starting to put the spare on when the truck falls off the jack.

Fortunately I was in front of a car dealership and when they got there they helped get me back on the road.

WOW!

Well thank goodness you are alright. I think it was Karma because of how hard you hit that stripper with the desk chair (shrug):makepoint:

In all seriousness it was a great weekend Richard and I had one hell of a time. (thumbs u

Jesus! Glad you're okay.

Marc

(This thread is amazing btw.)

Geez, Richard, it never rains but it pours(golf balls for crying out loud!). I'm very glad you came through it okay. So when are you going to wise up, sell the Houston stores and move the family out to Orange County? Sporting equipment doesn't fall from the sky out here, and you could open the only decent comic shop in the county!

you didnt happen to be giving Chucky a ride home were you?? Only Chuck gets a road story like this happen to him. But YOUR story I believe. Glad you made it..

Chuck would've told the same story with 50 times as many words. Instead of golf balls, it would have been basketballs falling from the sky, and when the van fell off the Jack, Chuck would have simply lifted the van with his left arm while changing the tire with his right.

Good Grief Richard! Certainly glad you (and the van, and its precious cargo) made it home safely.

You deserve a Prize four weathering that storm. Enjoy, my friend... :)

(p.s., PM me when you get a chance) :acclaim:

you didnt happen to be giving Chucky a ride home were you?? Only Chuck gets a road story like this happen to him. But YOUR story I believe. Glad you made it..

Chuck would've told the same story with 50 times as many words. Instead of golf balls, it would have been basketballs falling from the sky, and when the van fell off the Jack, Chuck would have simply lifted the van with his left arm while changing the tire with his right.

you got it! ha ha

Great read and photos to boot. Looked like a good time (sans strippers even).

Just curious, but I think I see a CGC 5.0 and an unslabbed copy of Daring Mystery Comics #1. Who do those belong to? They look like they belong to one of Bedrock's funny book stacks hm

Glad you made it home to tell the tale Richard. I'm already looking forward to the next geek session!

Snitzer: the slabbed DARING #1 is Bedrock's, the raw (restored) one is mine.