• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does this...

17 posts in this topic

It has been my experience that they get hit pretty hard. I'm sorry that I can't give you a quantitative figure as to the number of grade points. I have a Northland that has a ding on the back similar to that and it is graded a 9.0. Otherwise, it is a sweet book.

I would like to see the book. I figured 9.0 with the one spine ding.

My Miracleman book is virtually perfect, but on the back cover, if you hold it an an angle, you can see a faint crease which does not break color (about an inch) and they slaughtered it. I don't think it would even show up in a scan. It was an ebay nm/m raw.

I'd guess 7.5/8.0 myself (assuming front is very clean). I'd characterize that crease as "more than a spine ding". (shrug)

I agree here Anthony, thats more than a CBC. If the rest of the book is 9.8 material maybe 8.5 since this is a black back cover.

I would like to see the book. I figured 9.0 with the one spine ding.

My Miracleman book is virtually perfect, but on the back cover, if you hold it an an angle, you can see a faint crease which does not break color (about an inch) and they slaughtered it. I don't think it would even show up in a scan. It was an ebay nm/m raw.

Must have been some interior problem

and this points out an interesting dilemna in comic grading. you have guesses that range from 9.2 down to 7.5 on a beautiful book with basically a single defect.

In the OSGG you MIGHT be able to match an example with one single defect and get your grade. but the typical reality is that there's more than one thing going wrong on a book and matching it exactly is a remote possibility.

since the boys here don't publish their standards we're left to guess what this might be, except for the fact that you could submit it and isolate the downgrade for this sole defect.

I have to admit that i've rarely visited the grading and resto thread site and wonder if any effort has been made to highlight these instances for posterity?

I'd personally guess a CGC grade of around an 8.5 - 9.0............ (shrug)

Not to beat this to death, but... :whistle:

The back cover crease easily looks to be an inch long...and this is a crease through the book, not a surface crease. If a book had a 1" corner crease through it, especially a modern, I would think it would struggle to grade higher than VF. Unless the scan is exaggerating the crease? Maybe 7.5 is too harsh, but I'd still argue for 8.0.

Anyhow, my two cents.

just on the back cover. the crease is isolated to the spine, the long line you see is essentially a non color breaking buckle the initial ding caused. I think it's worth getting kirkman to sign it as i have next to nothing in it and hope for a 9.0.

thanks for everyone's input.