• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS REMOVAL OF GREASE PENCIL DATES/marks FROM A COVER.........

21 posts in this topic

CONSIDERED by cgc to be restoration?

anyone help out with this q?

I think it depends how it's done. A wet cleaning would be resto. Removing it with an art eraser would not.

True.

But removing a grease-pencil mark from a vintage book is like having a dermatologist remove a birthmark from your first-born.

just leave it alone.the grease pencil has probably been on for many years,and if you tried to remove it you will more or less ruin the book.CGC does not grade that harshly on cover stamps or pencil marks if at all in most instances.

I think it depends how it's done. A wet cleaning would be resto. Removing it with an art eraser would not.

True.

But removing a grease-pencil mark from a vintage book is like having a dermatologist remove a birthmark from your first-born.

idk man, I have seen some NASTYYYYYY birth marks.

I had a FF 19 in Universal 9.0 that had an arrival date erased by a previous owner.The erasure was noted on the slab label (old label).GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

True.

idk man, I have seen some NASTYYYYYY birth marks.

I've seen some really purty ones too though... :insane:

Do you have one of my old books? I sold many books on eBay that I bought in the late 60s and erased the grease pencil re-sale price marks (not date marks)...send me a PM/scan...it would be cool to see if it was a book I recognized...

If it has been on a book long enough, it will leave residue. Meaning, the grease from the mark will have imbedded itself into the paper. If you remove it, there will probably still be a stain on the paper.

Best to leave it alone, IMO. 2c

There was a time when I would cringe at the sight of a date stamp. Now I've come to love them. This is a pretty dramatic shift for me. Take a look at the DS here:

img085.jpg

It is even cooler because it is about 20 years LATE!!!!

Yeah, I've got some pesky Ohio's all covered in grease pencil marks... if only I could get them removed :sorry:doh!

There was a time when I would cringe at the sight of a date stamp. Now I've come to love them. This is a pretty dramatic shift for me. Take a look at the DS here:

img085.jpg

It is even cooler because it is about 20 years LATE!!!!

Nice book - never saw that cover before. reminds me of one of Frazetta's Famous Funnie covers because the heroine looks so small and young...........

one time i had a book that had a 6 inch horizontal line written in grease pencil on the cover. I rubbed it right off with my thumb and it came off cleanly almost as if it had never been there. It seemed strange that it came off so easily and i wonder why it did?

I have a copy of Venus (The blue cover picnic cover) that had a ton of grease pencil in the logo, all over the pretty lady and everywhere on the cover so you couldn't appreciate the art at all. I did erase it all, and now I enjoy the copy, even though it isn't vibrant. I didn't pay much for it, and just couldn't deal with the artwork....that's very different from removing a date stamp...(which I really enjoy on books even if it's a grease pencil mark.

My copy of Spirit 22 has a grease pencil checkmark, and it doesn't bother me at all.