• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 7.0 SHATTERS GPA record

109 posts in this topic

i think that was robojoe33 that had the 7.0 for sale and the 9.6 is still up??....pretty sure....

When i was an ebay noob, i bought one of Robojoe33's (ComicKeys) AF #15 as a raw 7.5. it came back from CGC as an apparent 8.0....man if that book hadn't been restored i'd be worth $40K today.

got my money back, however................

i think that was robojoe33 that had the 7.0 for sale and the 9.6 is still up??....pretty sure....

When i was an ebay noob, i bought one of Robojoe33's (ComicKeys) AF #15 as a raw 7.5. it came back from CGC as an apparent 8.0....man if that book hadn't been restored i'd be worth $40K today.

got my money back, however................

How much did you pay for it...and how extensive was the resto?

hope there's not another thread on this already.............. :blush:

just last week i was astonished to learn from Roy that an AF #15 7.5 had sold at auction (i believe) for approx $43,000, which was almost 3.5 times the record sale for a 7.0.

Well that is no longer the case as a 7.0 just took the high GPA from $12,500 to $22,000 this month. :o

anyone know where it was sold??

anyone else think this is a crazy jump in AF 15 prices??

Maybe BA collectors are moving to SA keys. If I got 12k for a 9.8 ASM 129...I might be willing to pay more for a 7.0 AF 15.

Just a thought....

Good as any that i can come up with...........the $12,500 was just realized last July - that's what makes this so nuts. if you annualize the difference it's a one year increase of approx 100%.

isn't there an economic school of thought that suggests in tight times and poor market performance, Collectibles are sometimes seen as an attractive alternative... (shrug)

wealthy folks are expecting inflation. They tend to buy hard assets (tangibles like collectibles) when they think inflation will rise. So even though there is a recession on the horizon (or already), it is the worse type they are expecting (stagflation). Low growth but inflationary.

Doug schmell just sold a 5.0 ow/w very solid copy for $7200, within 2 days of lsiting it!

i believe that is a record for a 5.0

It is.. It shattered my record of a 5.0 for $6200 (Tremont) which I sold about a year and a half ago.. Dangit!?!?

isn't there an economic school of thought that suggests in tight times and poor market performance, Collectibles are sometimes seen as an attractive alternative... (shrug)

Here's another school of thought: comic collectors are :screwy: and aren't generally very savvy investors. :baiting:

Here's another school of thought: comic collectors are :screwy: and aren't generally very savvy investors. :baiting:

Element of truth to this, but the flipside: any collector of high grade comics who started before 2000 (and the advent of cgc) could be considered a savvy investor.

Bought an AF15 in the late 80s for $1675 from a Richmond, VA dealer. A record price for an AF15 at that time. The dealer posted it on the front cover of a CBG (Comics Buyer's Guide) issue as one of the long-lost nice copies (I guess for added PR). In reality, it was only about a 7.0 but extremely NICE!

I sold that 7.0 in the early 90s for $3k and change...

Doug schmell just sold a 5.0 ow/w very solid copy for $7200, within 2 days of lsiting it!

i believe that is a record for a 5.0

It is.. It shattered my record of a 5.0 for $6200 (Tremont) which I sold about a year and a half ago.. Dangit!?!?

Doug's 5.0 was a stunningly nice example of that grade. You can find 5.0's that look like mice were knawing on them for years.

hm

Here are the two other AF #15's I used to own:

My first AF #15 CGC 5.0 in old label

Picture010-1.jpg

My 2nd AF #15 which was a CGC 6.5 with slight(P) resto. (I should've kept this one as this one was a beauty :frustrated:.. At that time, I didn't like the purple label on SA books)

af15_front_top.jpg

Why have prices on comics been on such a tear of late? I thought the econmy was faltering?

Ok, here is my take on the recent jumps in books: it's because of my generation of fans the "comic boomers" for lack of a better term.

I was born in 1976, so I was at the perfect age for jumping on the mid 80's to 90's comic run. While so many of those comics are worthless today (Supply vs. Demand) it did spike the interest in comics very high at the time. All my friends collected comics. Those were good stories, good artwork, good times... :cloud9:

As with any stage of collecting, my generation of comic fans are now in there early to mid 30's. We have jobs, wives, kids, etc... and want to recapture the good times we remember. So with so many of us out there who loved comics during the mid 80's - 90's, now we have $$ to spend.

I always wanted an AF #15, but I just bought mine a few weeks ago. In December of 07 I bought a Giant Size X-Men #1. I plan on buying a Daredevil #1, Avengers #4, Hulk #181, ASM #14, etc... over the next few years. If you thought my generation was crazy buying out comic shops in the 90's, now we're buying the 1st Appearances of our favorite characters we couldn't afford to buy when we were 13.

Simply put, you see it 1st with AF #15 and Hulk #181, since Spidey and Wolverine were the two most popular characters. I don't see these prices dropping anytime soon.

Personally, I enjoy low grade books. I like the nostalgia of owning significant books, and don't really care about the grade. BUT... remember all those "comic boomers" who would buy variant after variant thinking it was an investment... they're back thinking high grade CGC's are the next investment of the future. hm

Man I just have the best luck.

Sell a SA book X-men as a 9.4, comes back 9.6

Sell an Bats #232 as 9.2/9.4 comes back 9.6

Sell an AF #15 6.0 for about GPA and just one day later the 7.5 pops at $43, 000 then the 7.0 a week later pops the $20,000 mark!

I'm on a friggin roll. I'd make charities look bad at this point.

:pullhair: