• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,458 posts in this topic

good work on the answers everyone!

scrooge and rockman2008- you both rock! (thumbs u

thanks for putting up a better clip of the first video.

here's another picture of paul with the comics.

i read that the comics belonged to george harrison.

18582175-d75.jpg

kids reading a comic at a july 4th picnic.

7def5f01.jpg

have a happy and safe july 4th everyone! i hope you don't get stuck in

traffic like this family. :grin: identify the comic.

I believe that's Superboy # 3 in that video.

I believe it is no longer in mint condition.

Wow, what a picture!!! I just wanna snatch em from the clips :devil:

And do what with them?

Eh eh...

article01.jpg

A comics burning in Binghamton, NY, 1948.

Groups of students continued to burn comic books in school yards around the country, some under the sway of their parents and teachers, some in concord with them, some unsure of their own points of view and doubtful of the propriety of disagreeing with their elders, some emboldened to defiance through the burnings themselves. In one case—a grand public protest organized in Rumson, New Jersey, an affluent town near the seashore—the young people involved were exceptionally young, Cub Scouts, and they were only part of an elaborate plan arranged by a Cubmaster, Louis Cooke, a scout committeeman, Ralph Walter, and the mayor, Edward Wilson. As it was announced on January 6 at a “fathers’ night” meeting of the Rumson High School PTA, the event was to involve a two-day drive to collect comic books “portraying murderers and criminals,” a journalist at the meeting reported. A group of forty Cubs would tour the borough in a fire truck, “with siren screaming, and collect objectionable books at homes along the way.” Then the mayor would lead the boys in a procession from Borough Hall to Rumson’s Victory Park, where Wilson would present awards to the scouts and lead them in burning the comic books. The Cub who had gathered the most comics would have the honor of applying the torch to the books. When the national office of the Cub Scouts of America declined to support the bonfire, and news­papers as far-flung as Michigan’s Ironwood Daily Globe questioned it, the Rumson event was revised to conclude with the scouts donating the comics to the Salvation Army for scrap.

A few weeks later, a Girl Scout leader in the farm-country town of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Mrs. Thomas Mullen, guided her troop and local students in a comic-book burning, unencumbered. (The event had not been widely publicized in advance.) The scouts, fourteen- to eighteen-year-old members of Senior Troop 29, began gathering crime comics, as well as western and romance titles (because of their shootings and sexual innuendo, respectively), then turned the burning over to students at St. Mary’s, a Catholic high school of about 275 housed in an austere redbrick building, a refurbished old hospital. Following a -script by the parish pastor, Rev. Theon Schoen, the students conducted a mock trial of four comic-book characters, portrayed by upperclassmen who pleaded guilty to “leading young people astray and building up false conceptions in the minds of youth.” The trial, held on the school grounds after classes, concluded with a “great big bonfire,” as one of the students, Bonnie Wulfers, would remember it. As the books burned, Schoen led the assembled group of more than four hundred students from St. Mary’s elementary and high schools in a version of the now-standard pledge to “neither read nor purchase objectionable publications and to stay away from retail establishments where such are sold.”

The Ten-Cent Plague

Jack

:tonofbricks: Hiyo!

Like to be serious for a moment...

Just popped in to check out what this thread about and saw this picture-post and read the contents, plus the article-link... it literally had me tear-up; that is just devastating to my heart to see and read for that to have ever existed.

this thread needs some action. :)

here's a new york newsstand next to a subway entrance in late (november?) 1939.

19320521-d36.jpg

there's a lot of pulps for sale and here are some closeup shots.

19320525-b54.jpg19320524-b35.jpg

i was able to identify one pulp in this pic- a winter 1939 issue of fight stories.

19320523-b67.jpg19320528-37b.jpg

a closer look inside the stand and under the man's arm appears to be a copy of action 19! what do you think?

there must be other comics there and i wonder what they were?

19320527-6f6.jpg19320529-1cf.jpg

a closer look inside the stand and under the man's arm appears to be a copy of action 19! what do you think?

Action.jpg

I enhanced it a bit. Looks like the Action 19 to me.

Action.jpg

I enhanced it a bit. Looks like the Action 19 to me.

It would be in the proper time period for month/year

I was able to identify one pulp in this pic- a winter 1939 issue of fight stories.

Are you trying to ID the others? I don't have time to look right now but the one next to Fight is obviously Captain Future and it's the first issue dated Winter 1940

captain_future_1940win_v1_n1.jpg

I was able to identify one pulp in this pic- a winter 1939 issue of fight stories.

Are you trying to ID the others? I don't have time to look right now but the one next to Fight is obviously Captain Future and it's the first issue dated Winter 1940

captain_future_1940win_v1_n1.jpg

thanks scrooge for identifying a cool robot cover and a number 1 issue!

i identify pulps to corroborate the dates of the comics.

here's another great pic of a fully packed stand at union square in new york city in october or november 1939.

19422643-36c.jpg

first let's take a close look at the pulps. on the lower right is the december 1939 issue of weird tales. pulp fans can identify the other pulps.

19422648-e83.jpg19422657-3bf.jpg

some more pulps & mags

19422650-a53.jpg

there are comics of course but they slightly obscured. the first book that caught my eye was the detective.

what issue could it be? let's look at the other books first.

the only issue of the funnies with a diagonal line through the "F" is the november 1939 issue of funnies #37.

since there is a lighter color bar at the top of the tec cover and there is no bat-head logo which appear in issues 32 & 34, i believe that detective is issue #33,

the origin of batman!! :grin:

19422655-0b5.jpg

based on the approximate dates and the color shadings, i was able to deduce most of the other comics except for a few. do you see the same comics as me? hm

the comics i see are:

detective 33, fantastic 1, funny pages v3#9, famous funnies 64 or 65, the funnies 37, magic comics 4, more fun 49, champion 2, comics on parade 20, speed 3, smash 4 and maybe feature 26?

that's a pretty good month for comics! (thumbs u

19422680-8f8.jpg19422667-2c4.jpg19422670-88e.jpg19422668-3c6.jpg19422674-dfa.jpg

19422675-96b.jpg19422660-f92.jpg19422662-1d6.jpg19422679-e84.jpg19422678-c2c.jpg

who buys these comics here? i rarely see any kids at these newsstands. maybe the cop was guarding the comics and looking for truants. i wouldn't mind having a detective 33! :D

here's another great pic of a fully packed stand at union square in new york city in october or november 1939.

19422643-36c.jpg

first let's take a close look at the pulps. on the lower right is the december 1939 issue of weird tales. pulp fans can identify the other pulps.

some more pulps & mags

19422650-a53.jpg

there are comics of course but they slightly obscured. the first book that caught my eye was the detective.

what issue could it be? let's look at the other books first.

the only issue of the funnies with a diagonal line through the "F" is the november 1939 issue of funnies #37.

since there is a lighter color bar at the top of the tec cover and there is no bat-head logo which appear in issues 32 & 34, i believe that detective is issue #33,

the origin of batman!! :grin:

19422655-0b5.jpg

based on the approximate dates and the color shadings, i was able to deduce most of the other comics except for a few. do you see the same comics as me? hm

the comics i see are:

detective 33, fantastic 1, funny pages v3#9, famous funnies 64 or 65, the funnies 37, magic comics 4, more fun 49, champion 2, comics on parade 20, speed 3, smash 4 and maybe feature 26?

that's a pretty good month for comics! (thumbs u

19422680-8f8.jpg19422667-2c4.jpg19422670-88e.jpg19422668-3c6.jpg19422674-dfa.jpg

19422675-96b.jpg19422660-f92.jpg19422662-1d6.jpg19422679-e84.jpg19422678-c2c.jpg

who buys these comics here? i rarely see any kids at these newsstands. maybe the cop was guarding the comics and looking for truants. i wouldn't mind having a detective 33! :D

great "detective" work Alex (thumbs u

Darn you :sumo:

1939PulpStandIDed.jpg

I'd like folks opinion on the one between the Shadow and Thrilling Detective. It should be easy but it escapes me at the moment.

Here's another one from the same source and an early time period -

Naval Hospital Beaufort's gift shop, circa 1954

[A man in a wheelchair with his leg in a cast examines the magazine and

comic book selection at Naval Hospital Beaufort's gift shop, circa

1954]. Photograph courtesy of Regena Kowitz, Public Affairs

Officer/Customer Relations Officer, Naval Hospital Beaufort.

Comics are at bottom right.

7186880435_522baf525c_h.jpg

Don't recall this one posted?

09-5044-023 title="09-5044-023 by NavyMedicine, on Flickr">09-5044-023

Interior of ships service at Naval Hospital. Pensacola, Florida. 07/21/1958.

Cool and looks like a little girl pulled a comic and is walking away from the turn cart to pay. She's a little blurry in the pic and can't read the title of the comic