• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's It Take to Be An Overstreet Advisor?

38 posts in this topic

With all of the discussion surround OS (it IS that time of year), the many boardmembers who are advisors for OS, and one who has recently become one (again), I'm wondering what does it take to become an Overstreet Advisor as well as what responsibilities this job entails?

Thoughts?

Seriously, at the beginning all the advisors were dealers. There was no Internet or other network available for communication, so real market reports were important to Bob in determining pricing. If you were a major mail order dealer and/or show dealer and you asked Bob if he would be interested in getting a market report from you, he would say send it in and it'll be considered. That's how I was first selected 22 years ago.

Market reports are still important obviously, but I would tend to believe not to the same extent (except someone like Doug Sulipa who documents every book he sells).

I thought it was a great idea to include collectors a few years back since so many have specialized knowledge in particular areas.

When the grading guide was being considered, all the advisors made the trek to Timonium and we worked together to come up with a process that made sense at the time. The same thing happened when CGC was preparing to open. We all had input. The last meeting was held last summer or fall (I had a business conflict and couldn't make it) when the format of the Guide was discussed.

We try to give Bob (and Tom Gordon now) as much info as we can so the Guide is as accurate, meaningful and relevant as possible.

Speaking for myself and many of the other advisors I know, it's a true labor of love. In my home office I have a Senior Advisor plaque on my wall and a few years ago was given a commemorative watch. They're both pretty cool.

I'm very proud of my association with the Guide. It's the most important book about comics that has ever been published, and l truly appreciate the opportunity to contribute to it. It was a blast to show the article that Mark and I penned this year to my family and friends. They know my passion for this hobby and when they saw the article they were impressed.

I hope the Guide is around forever and I'm an advisor forever!

--Gary

With all of the discussion surround OS (it IS that time of year), the many boardmembers who are advisors for OS, and one who has recently become one (again), I'm wondering what does it take to become an Overstreet Advisor as well as what responsibilities this job entails?

Thoughts?

Seriously, at the beginning all the advisors were dealers. There was no Internet or other network available for communication, so real market reports were important to Bob in determining pricing. If you were a major mail order dealer and/or show dealer and you asked Bob if he would be interested in getting a market report from you, he would say send it in and it'll be considered. That's how I was first selected 22 years ago.

Market reports are still important obviously, but I would tend to believe not to the same extent (except someone like Doug Sulipa who documents every book he sells).

I thought it was a great idea to include collectors a few years back since so many have specialized knowledge in particular areas.

When the grading guide was being considered, all the advisors made the trek to Timonium and we worked together to come up with a process that made sense at the time. The same thing happened when CGC was preparing to open. We all had input. The last meeting was held last summer or fall (I had a business conflict and couldn't make it) when the format of the Guide was discussed.

We try to give Bob (and Tom Gordon now) as much info as we can so the Guide is as accurate, meaningful and relevant as possible.

Speaking for myself and many of the other advisors I know, it's a true labor of love. In my home office I have a Senior Advisor plaque on my wall and a few years ago was given a commemorative watch. They're both pretty cool.

I'm very proud of my association with the Guide. It's the most important book about comics that has ever been published, and l truly appreciate the opportunity to contribute to it. It was a blast to show the article that Mark and I penned this year to my family and friends. They know my passion for this hobby and when they saw the article they were impressed.

--Gary

Thanks for the post Gary! Very interesting to hear how you got involved with this. It's interesting (to me anyhow) to hear that CGC had input from Overstreet before opening its doors. I always hear about how CGC grading standards differ from OS (and I would agree with this to some extent), but I didn't realize there was a connection between the two--at least from its inception.

Thoughts?

--Gary

Thanks for the post Gary! Very interesting to hear how you got involved with this. It's interesting (to me anyhow) to hear that CGC had input from Overstreet before opening its doors. I always hear about how CGC grading standards differ from OS (and I would agree with this to some extent), but I didn't realize there was a connection between the two--at least from its inception.

A good read in grading with many CGC examples and contributions is the The Official Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide - the criteria that's there is generally consistent with CGC grading.

I have a copy of that. I really like the grading rubric they provide, but I can't say the pictures necessarily bump with the grades. For example, take a look at p. 224 with the Green Hornet 29 as an example of a VG/FN (5.0). It seems to me that this book wouldn't hit a 5.0 if submitted. But maybe I'm wrong. lol Sure wouldn't be the first time that happened!-) But I agree that it's still a valuable tool and one I always recommend to friends who are getting back into the hobby.

True, some pictures don't say the entire reason for the grade, but I like the criteria at the beginning of each grade that goes through everything from cover conditions, date stamps, staples, etc.

I love the 0.5 pictures...especially that Hawkman that got sliced in half. I can't see why that one would even receive any grade.

--Gary

serious question Gary- Why do some books seem to be so innacurrately valued in the guide? FF#1 would be a good example as i believe it's valued around $3700 in 6.0. You can't touch a genuine 6.0 (raw or slabbed)for under $4000 today and the going rate for certified books seems to be around $7K. It seems to me it would be a simple adjustment to list the fine price at $7K.

Why isn't it done for the sake of accuracy? Is it deemed prudent to administer slow steady adjustments that are less subjective to market swings? Just trying to gain some insight to the mindset if possible cause its something i don't fully understand and am ignorant of the inner workings of the guide. Any light you can shed on this would be apppreciated. -Dave

--Gary

serious question Gary- Why do some books seem to be so innacurrately valued in the guide? FF#1 would be a good example as i believe it's valued around $3700 in 6.0. You can't touch a genuine 6.0 (raw or slabbed)for under $4000 today and the going rate for certified books seems to be around $7K. It seems to me it would be a simple adjustment to list the fine price at $7K.

Why isn't it done for the sake of accuracy? Is it deemed prudent to administer slow steady adjustments that are less subjective to market swings? Just trying to gain some insight to the mindset if possible cause its something i don't fully understand and am ignorant of the inner workings of the guide. Any light you can shed on this would be apppreciated. -Dave

:popcorn:

--Gary

--Gary

Dave:

I'm just an advisor who provides pricing information, not the pricing editor. This is a question for Bob Overstreet.

--Gary

--Gary

Dave:

I'm just an advisor who provides pricing information, not the pricing editor. This is a question for Bob Overstreet.

--Gary

(thumbs u

As one of the newer OSPG advisors (so named in 2006), I would imagine the "standards", or the reasoning behind the invitation, has varied over the years. I obviously can't speak to why invitations were extended to any particular person, including myself, because I have no idea what led to the choice. Nor do we participate in choosing new members.

However, those who have been invited in during the last two years have been, while perhaps not household names, fairly young (30s/40s) and quite active in the community as dealers, collectors or both. Advisors are sent various inquiries throughout the year asking for their input (and I suspect that this outreach has increased in the last few years), and are always invited to submit market reports to the OSPG, and certainly any type of sales/purchase data that they might come across. I try to provide as much info as I can (of course, non-advisors are always welcome to submit data too - I have served as an intermediary on several occasions though that is not necessary).

Advisors are certainly encouraged to contribute to the organization (whether price guide or grading guide) wherever possible, such as with the article Moondog and I had published in this year's guide on ashcans. We also, as was mentioned above, had a meeting this past Summer and I hope that this trend will continue annually or at least bi-annually.

My suggestion for anyone who is interested in one day becoming an advisor is, among other things, to get to know the leaders in the community, become outspoken on certain issues of benefit to the community and promote them, provide sales/purchase data to the OSPG, and definitely submit articles to the OSPG or even Scoop (and elsewhere).

Just my opinion, but inaccuracies in the OS are always going to be there.

The OS just cant keep up. Its a guide just that not a final say in price or even price information. As we all know there are several books that sell on any given date well over OS. Its is scarcity and demand that drive the price. OS can give us an good idea on some books, but being published once a year it just cant keep up.

It will especially drag on price variants, scare books, last issues and such. This is where your skill comes into play accurately judging the market and its ebb and flow.

I wish it would go back to at least 4 times a year. I wish it would go monthly, but I guess Wizard and CBG scare it off.

Just my opinion, but inaccuracies in the OS are always going to be there.

The OS just cant keep up. Its a guide just that not a final say in price or even price information. As we all know there are several books that sell on any given date well over OS. Its is scarcity and demand that drive the price. OS can give us an good idea on some books, but being published once a year it just cant keep up.

It will especially drag on price variants, scare books, last issues and such. This is where your skill comes into play accurately judging the market and its ebb and flow.

I wish it would go back to at least 4 times a year. I wish it would go monthly, but I guess Wizard and CBG scare it off.

No arguments from me. Some advisors suggested at last year's meeting that some form of supplemental guide be issued during the year, or offer some sort of online updates.

And if anyone thinks being an OSPG advisor begets special treatment, just look at the table of contents of this year's guide!!!! doh!

No arguments from me. Some advisors suggested at last year's meeting that some form of supplemental guide be issued during the year, or offer some sort of online updates.

And what was Bob Overstreet's response to this?

I can understand that such a guide is a massive undertaking, but surely he has a lot of help and perhaps some tech-savvy people who can help bring the book to a more modern audience. Leaving out comics such as Mouse Guard and remaining behind GPA's acute online tracking is dating this book to many younger collectors.

And what was Bob Overstreet's response to this?

I can understand that such a guide is a massive undertaking, but surely he has a lot of help and perhaps some tech-savvy people who can help bring the book to a more modern audience. Leaving out comics such as Mouse Guard and remaining behind GPA's acute online tracking is dating this book to many younger collectors.

I don't know that we did get a response. But all of us I think were behind the idea of some sort of online guide or service.