• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

88 posts in this topic

But the real question is- will they ever do a re-make of one of the greatest movies of all times Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb? I heard Steve Martin may reprise Sellers' Pink Panther so who knows. No way I will get my wife to waste a baby sitter night on the Massacre so I guess I am stuck until payper view or dvd. But it sounds great - I was worried it would turn out like the new Planet of the Apes that I finally saw on HBO - very bad idea! Well it is about that time for the cable networks to start running the all night horror flicks so hopefully they will have some of the Hammer films - I think one network is showing 2 80s greats - Evil Dead 2 and Reanimator!

But the real question is- will they ever do a re-make of one of the greatest movies of all times Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb? I heard Steve Martin may reprise Sellers' Pink Panther so who knows. No way I will get my wife to waste a baby sitter night on the Massacre so I guess I am stuck until payper view or dvd. But it sounds great - I was worried it would turn out like the new Planet of the Apes that I finally saw on HBO - very bad idea! Well it is about that time for the cable networks to start running the all night horror flicks so hopefully they will have some of the Hammer films - I think one network is showing 2 80s greats - Evil Dead 2 and Reanimator!

Just for the record, I think some movies should be off-limits in terms of being re-made, and Dr. Strangelove is definitely on that list. I think Steve Martin is generally brilliantly funny, but I wouldn't go see a remake of Dr. Strangelove with him (or anyone else) in it if they paid me... what's next, a remake of Citizen Kane? How are you going to improve on a perfect film - by casting current, recognizable, overpaid actors and cutting out 'the slow parts'? Is nothing sacred?

Remaking TCM is one thing - the original left plenty, and I do mean plenty, of room for improvement - but remaking Planet of the Apes is just a sliver of the horrible mess that can result from messing with a 'classic.'

Clobberintime's references to Evil Dead 2 and Reanimator reminded me of a few more quality B horror films worth a look:

- "From Beyond"...stars some of the same folks from Reanimator, and the same director (Stuart Gordon?) Very loosely based on an H.P. Lovecraft tale, I think...

- "Frankenhooker"... from the same semi-brilliant mind that brought you "Basket Case" and "Brain Damage" - guy re-builds dead girlfriend, but can't stop "upgrading"...

- "Brain Damage"... alien brain invades hapless victim via frontal lobe, turns him into a grey-matter-eating goon touring Manhattan nightclubs for victims...

- "Mindwarp"...a Bruce Campbell throw-away that appeared between Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness... almost feels like an alternate 'sequel to ED 2, but not nearly as good as Army of Darkness... *If you're a big Evil Dead and/or Bruce Campbell fan, check out his book "If Chins Could Kill," about the making of the ED movies...

- "Night of the Creeps"...this one's got something for everyone... alien slugs from hell, zombie head explosions, totally campy hard-boiled detective hero, etc.