• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Silver Age Recreations

16 posts in this topic

I'm trying to remember, did Marvel during the 90s have some of their classic covers recreated by Silver Age artists? If so does any one have a list of what got recreated and if anyone has one could you post it?

Thanks!

Ernie

Kirby recreated in pencil several SA Marvel key covers that were auctioned off by Sotheby's before he passed away. Some but not all were inked. Subsequently, Ayers did some inked recreations.

Romita Sr. recreated a few ASM covers like ASM 39, 40 Gr Goblin and ASM 50 "classic cover" in pencil/ink.

Murphy Anderson recreated several GA Lou Fine covers in color like Wonderworld and Hit Comics, and SA DC covers like Brave Bold 28.

Kirby recreated in pencil several SA Marvel key covers that were auctioned off by Sotheby's before he passed away. Some but not all were inked. Subsequently, Ayers did some inked recreations.

The June 18, 1994 Sotheby's auction featured the following recreations some by Kirby only, some by Kirby and Ayers, and some by Ayers only, and some by Romita. These are fantastic pieces, and all came with a certificate noting that they were commissioned by Sotheby's for the auction:

KIRBY ONLY

Amazing Fantasy 15 (Kirby pencil only)

Amazing Spider-Man 1 (Kirby pencil only)

Tales of Suspense 39 (Kirby pencil only)

KIRBY/AYERS

Fantastic Four 1 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

Fantastic Four 5 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

X-Men 1 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

Journey Into Mystery 83 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

Strange Tales 89 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

AYERS ONLY

Avengers 1 (Ayers inks only)

Strange Tales 101 (Ayers inks only

Fantastic Four Annual 1 (Ayers inks only)

Fantastic Four 4 (Ayers Inks only)

Tales to Astonish 27 (Ayers inks only)

Journey Into Mystery 87 (Ayers inks only)

Hulk 3 (Ayers inks only)

ROMITA Sr.

ASM 39, 50, 53, 54, 64, 100

Daredevil 16

OTHER KIRBY NON-SOTHEBY'S COVERS (pencils only)

Jack Kirby also did some non-Sotheby's pencil-only cover recreations. I don't have the full list but I know he did the following because I've seen them:

Strange Tales Annual 2

Fantastic Four 48, 49, 50, 72

Avengers 1

Hulk 2

I have been told that Kirby never did the same cover recreation twice, so there is only one of anything he did. I was also told that Ayers occasionally did additional recreations on request and did more than one version of certain covers, but I have not seen anything to verify that.

Hope this helps. (thumbs u

--Steve

The June 18, 1994 Sotheby's auction featured the following recreations some by Kirby only, some by Kirby and Ayers, and some by Ayers only, and some by Romita. These are fantastic pieces, and all came with a certificate noting that they were commissioned by Sotheby's for the auction:

KIRBY ONLY

Amazing Fantasy 15 (Kirby pencil only)

Amazing Spider-Man 1 (Kirby pencil only)

Tales of Suspense 39 (Kirby pencil only)

KIRBY/AYERS

Fantastic Four 1 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

Fantastic Four 5 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

X-Men 1 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

Journey Into Mystery 83 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

Strange Tales 89 (Kirby pencils, Ayers inks)

AYERS ONLY

Avengers 1 (Ayers inks only)

Strange Tales 101 (Ayers inks only

Fantastic Four Annual 1 (Ayers inks only)

Fantastic Four 4 (Ayers Inks only)

Tales to Astonish 27 (Ayers inks only)

Journey Into Mystery 87 (Ayers inks only)

Hulk 3 (Ayers inks only)

ROMITA Sr.

ASM 39, 50, 53, 54, 64, 100

Daredevil 16

OTHER KIRBY NON-SOTHEBY'S COVERS (pencils only)

Jack Kirby also did some non-Sotheby's pencil-only cover recreations. I don't have the full list but I know he did the following because I've seen them:

Strange Tales Annual 2

Fantastic Four 48, 49, 50, 72

Avengers 1

Hulk 2

I have been told that Kirby never did the same cover recreation twice, so there is only one of anything he did. I was also told that Ayers occasionally did additional recreations on request and did more than one version of certain covers, but I have not seen anything to verify that.

Hope this helps. (thumbs u

--Steve

Cool!

Thanks for the list!

I'd love to have been at that auction!

I just googled the date and it pulled out a Kirby Collector's article about his covers. Check out the prices on those! Imagine what the real ones would go for today!

http://books.google.com/books?id=KI-et-e206EC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=june+18th+1994+sotheby's+auction&source=web&ots=9t8K8YHC3r&sig=QYB5dQzSse-z33hdGyao13IyPCc&hl=en

Thanks for the link! Actually those recreations would sell for a pretty penny today. :grin: Face it, nobody knows for sure if the originals of those covers even still exist, and if any do, it's unlikely they'll ever hit the open market. So the recreations are about as close as anybody's going to get to the originals.

A few have been offered up on ebay and dealer sites (Albert Moy had the Hulk 2 pencil cover recreation for sale at one poing -- maybe he still does, and the Strange Tales Annual 2 cover was on ebay last year, as was the TOS 39 cover). Someone also had the FF 72 recreation on a dealer site, but I don't remember which one. Conrad has the FF49 recreation that was colored by Stan Goldberg and displayed it at the Chicago ComicCon last summer -- boy was it GORGEOUS. :luhv:

How about the prices of the other OA! $1200 - $1600 for pages from FF 61!!! :whatthe: Gotta add a zero for those on today's market!

How about the Kirby 10 pages of art for Tales to Astonish #82 only went for $2300. That would probably be per page today. And as the article said, they prices were high because he had just passed away that year.

aw man Id kill for a romita #39 cover re-creation :cloud9:

Think I saw the framed Romita Sr. ASM #40 cover re-creation in April/07 with an asking price of about $5,500 at Seattle Emerald City Comicon. The ASM #39 has a better image so would be more loot $$$. :P

Nice article link. Wow, the Kirby and Ayers recreations sold for several thousand each at the Sotheby's 1994 auction.

What did the Ayers solo covers sell for back then? These weren't listed in the Kirby. Did the Marvel Ex-president lose money on this?

A former Marvel President just sold the Avengers #1 Ayers cover with a bad title:

" Ayers The Avengers Marvel Title Page Cover Artwork"

Item number: 26022103284

That may be why is sold under $700.

Best,

Wish I would have had $700 to spend. I would have at least put a bid in! I saw that the Ayers FF #4 sold a few years back on Heritage for around $1500. Wonder what the Avengers would have gotten if listed correctly.

A former Marvel President just sold the Avengers #1 Ayers cover with a bad title:

Best,

Wish I would have had $700 to spend. I would have at least put a bid in! I saw that the Ayers FF #4 sold a few years back on Heritage for around $1500. Wonder what the Avengers would have gotten if listed correctly.

One of the things that detract (for me) from a lot of these recreations, is the shakiness in the logo/lettering department.

Lettering is a real skill, and when an unpracticed artist tries his hand - the end-result often suffers.

Best,

One of the things that detract (for me) from a lot of these recreations, is the shakiness in the logo/lettering department.

Lettering is a real skill, and when an unpracticed artist tries his hand - the end-result often suffers.

On top of the skill involved, in Kirby's case he was already troubled by eyesight and other health problems when he did those covers. Ayers' health I don't know about.