• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How badly could this hurt the market?

78 posts in this topic

Considering that people still pay stupid money for this book what would a set like this suddenly do to the value if it were released onto the market?

Pic is from one of NeatStuff's auctions of course:

PlatinumSpideys.jpg

the real question is are the comics in near mint condition ?

:popcorn:

Neatstuff is claiming these were purchased directly from Marvel. I have no reason to doubt them.

That would make sense as the retailer was supposed to get only one copy,from his main distributor.As there were not 10,000 comic shops,printing 10,000 copies would have been overkill.I obtained a second copy at great difficulty. Sold my "official" copy for $300.Ended up trading the second a few years ago.At the time,the only book this could be compared to was the Signed and Numbered Dark Knight hardcover. That one I sold for $500 before I even had it in stock.

If I recall correctly,there was a Batman title that came out with four different covers

in the mid to late 80s. Long before Marvel strted doing it.

Batman Legends Of The Dark Knight. The orange cover is ultra - scarce. Well, ish.

I'd question the 10,000 number as well. Alot of platinum or other "limited" comics from the era were overprinted contrary to their public claims...

Jim

10K sounds about right for a "variant" print run, remember they are only printing a different cover. Since there are less than 4k stores worldwide, to have that many left over is not out of line. Not only did we get one for each shop, they were given out at meetings and shows. Books of Magic #25, Superman plats, and others from what I can remember.

Considering that people still pay stupid money for this book what would a set like this suddenly do to the value if it were released onto the market?

PlatinumSpideys.jpg

I am always amazed at people paying crazy money for these "rare" books that are actually harder to find in low grade than high grade.

It would have the same effect as if you bought 1 lottery ticket or 1000..It would do nothing at all because there are 100s of thousands of it in exsistence.You bought the hype, Thats the mistake

If I recall correctly,there was a Batman title that came out with four different covers

Batman Legends Of The Dark Knight. The orange cover is ultra - scarce. Well, ish.

I thought that came out after SM #1... hm

Jim

Jim

Nah, ten months before, fwiw.

PlatinumSpideys.jpg

the real question is are the comics in near mint condition ?

:popcorn:

I bet they are all HG, uncirculated copies. :gossip:

Jim

Nah, ten months before, fwiw.

Spider-Man beat it by two years...

Spider-Man #1 - Coverdate - Aug 1990

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight - Coverdate - September 1992

I was pretty sure it had come out before since it was released while I was still stationed in Germany. DK came out after I returned stateside...

Jim

Of course I was stupid enough to buy one each of all four covers of the Legends of the Dark Knight series. I beleive that is the one that started it all. It also started me on the way out the door for collecting.

But now I am back, I will only buy new want I want to read and old what I want to collect. Value will drive none of my decisions.

I still wish I had my Frank Miller signed and numbered Dark Knight. I had 56/4000 and bought it for 125.00. It is long gone though.

Jim, not sure where you`re getting the date of LODK from. #1, which had the variant covers, had a date of Nov 89. It definitely came out on the last legs of Bat-mania.

Jim, not sure where you`re getting the date of LODK from. #1, which had the variant covers, had a date of Nov 89. It definitely came out on the last legs of Bat-mania.

I was just about to post the same thing. I always say that LODK #1 is the soft beginning of the Gimick (SP?) Age.

Grand Comicbook Database...but now I see that there are two DK entries and one is in error. Nov 89 it is. I would have sworn it came out after SM #1... doh!

Jim

Grand Comicbook Database...but now I see that there are two DK entries and one is in error. Nov 89 it is. I would have sworn it came out after SM #1... doh!

Jim

The onset of senility is a terrible thing... :baiting:

Jim

The onset of senility is a terrible thing... :baiting:

It comes right after the retirement party...