• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery 132-pg Annual on eBay

50 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me why I can see the winning buyer's name? Why is it with some auctions you can't or is it just underbidders' ids that are blocked? (shrug)

during the auction, all ID's are masked...however, the winning bidder's id is always displayed at auctions end (unless private auction)

And the runner up bidders are not...to prevent anonymous people from contacting them to offer them 2nd chance offers, bypass ebay etc.

R.

Can someone explain to me why I can see the winning buyer's name? Why is it with some auctions you can't or is it just underbidders' ids that are blocked? (shrug)

start following some real comics on ebay and you'll learn these things for yourself.

:Plol

$7,750 final bid? Wasn't this offered for $5,200 a few weeks earlier? :eek:

It is worth more than everyone thought.

The final amount surprised me. For what it's worth, I looked at the scans and noticed that the splash page was from Cap #22, suggesting the rarer variant version, rather than Cap #18 in the regular version. That may explain the slightly higher bids than expected...

Nevertheless, once the bidding went past $5k, due to the fair condition, I was out.

GE

Well I remember when PCE had two copies for sale at the same time long while back.

They graded one at VF. Its been a while, but I thought the grading looked about right. While still ultra ultra rare, honestly I think there are over 20 copies of this book. Although I couldn't tell you how many are the variant.

Owner of Silver Age Comics in New York

I know that, but how about some history. Anyone know? How does one all of a sudden come into possession of all of these books seemingly from nowhere? I've only seen him mentioned sporadically in the recent past. How far back does he go in the hobby?

been on ebay 10 years...I know that much...mainly silver age guy, only recently started with Golden age (see next line)

he got the European collection, and that started the ball rolling... and they solicit (not him, but greg) anyone on ebay with a "decent" book that does not sell or meet reserve, touting that they (for 7%) can get them the best price, etc, and convince the other ebayers to consign...most all their really good non europe collection stuff has just been window dressing (like the AA 16, etc)

I know they paid me (and a few others) to let them list books (with really high reserves), just to draw attention (advertising tool, if you will)....nothing wrong with that, actually good marketing idea, if you ask me, as it got a lot of interest and watchers and some decent prices on other books...

Interesting.

This is Greg Jortner, right? Is he in some sort of partnership with Gus? An employee?

About 4 or 5 months ago, I almost traded my Tec 29 plus 2 other GA books for one of Gus' Batman #1's. All the communication was thru Greg Jortner, who claimed to be Gus' "partner". We never did the deal, and I never spoke to Gus. Greg seemed like a pretty cool dude though

He may be if he expects money from you, but that is not the case when he owes you money. Take it from personal experience (in my attorney capacity), I wouldn't do business with him at all. My experience has been that he breaks promises and intentionally disregards admitted debts. If he does not make good on his promises he will soon find himself a defendant in a lawsuit.

And if this is the type of person Gus, who I do not know, partners with ... hm

Has anyone actually met Gus?

Owner of Silver Age Comics in New York

I know that, but how about some history. Anyone know? How does one all of a sudden come into possession of all of these books seemingly from nowhere? I've only seen him mentioned sporadically in the recent past. How far back does he go in the hobby?

been on ebay 10 years...I know that much...mainly silver age guy, only recently started with Golden age (see next line)

he got the European collection, and that started the ball rolling... and they solicit (not him, but greg) anyone on ebay with a "decent" book that does not sell or meet reserve, touting that they (for 7%) can get them the best price, etc, and convince the other ebayers to consign...most all their really good non europe collection stuff has just been window dressing (like the AA 16, etc)

I know they paid me (and a few others) to let them list books (with really high reserves), just to draw attention (advertising tool, if you will)....nothing wrong with that, actually good marketing idea, if you ask me, as it got a lot of interest and watchers and some decent prices on other books...

Interesting.

This is Greg Jortner, right? Is he in some sort of partnership with Gus? An employee?

About 4 or 5 months ago, I almost traded my Tec 29 plus 2 other GA books for one of Gus' Batman #1's. All the communication was thru Greg Jortner, who claimed to be Gus' "partner". We never did the deal, and I never spoke to Gus. Greg seemed like a pretty cool dude though

He may be if he expects money from you, but that is not the case when he owes you money. Take it from personal experience (in my attorney capacity), I wouldn't do business with him at all. My experience has been that he breaks promises and intentionally disregards admitted debts. If he does not make good on his promises he will soon find himself a defendant in a lawsuit.

And if this is the type of person Gus, who I do not know, partners with ... hm

Has anyone actually met Gus?

Yes, at Chicago and other East Coast shows. Seems like a nice enough guy to me. I haven't done that much buying or selling with him, but I do remember many years back he was on the way to Detroit and either he or the person driving with him fell asleep at the wheel and their van flipped. Along with some injuries, comics were supposedly all over the highway. His table was next to mine and sat empty for the show.

Yes, at Chicago and other East Coast shows. Seems like a nice enough guy to me. I haven't done that much buying or selling with him, but I do remember many years back he was on the way to Detroit and either he or the person driving with him fell asleep at the wheel and their van flipped. Along with some injuries, comics were supposedly all over the highway. His table was next to mine and sat empty for the show.

And that is why it's best to fly to shows.

And that is why it's best to fly to shows.

Sometimes it is hard to put 100 boxes of comics in the overhead compartment.