• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover fading...How much does it affect?

88 posts in this topic

It is not BS to say that CGC takes very much into account HOW a book got its defect; they've said it over and over again, and they've said dealers and customers want it that way.

I would love to see where CGC said "over and over again" that it is the *intent* of the fading that determines the grade, because I've got a 9.X faded X-Men 94 "wall book" that was totally, 100%, unintentionally faded due to years of exposure on a store wall. Somehow CGC mistakenly gave it a 4.0, but now that I know they were wrong...

That's a HUGE return on investment there. ^^

It is not BS to say that CGC takes very much into account HOW a book got its defect; they've said it over and over again, and they've said dealers and customers want it that way.

I would love to see where CGC said "over and over again" that it is the *intent* of the fading that determines the grade, because I've got a 9.X faded X-Men 94 "wall book" that was totally, 100%, unintentionally faded due to years of exposure on a store wall. Somehow CGC mistakenly gave it a 4.0, but now that I know they were wrong...

That's a HUGE return on investment there. ^^

I think he's refering to books that were printed "faded" due to ink inconsistencies from the printing press. In that case the book isn't "faded" it's just printed with weak colors that give it a similar effect as a sun faded book. This would make sense since CGC is very soft on production related defects. I don't think by "intent" he means one book faded unintentionally because a dealer left it on a wall too long and another was faded intentionally because someone purposely put it out in the sun to see what would happen.

If mylar blocks UV rays

But Mylar doesn't block *all* UV rays, and if a CGC book is on display, even in a legal Mylar or other UV contraption, it'll still fade in the long term.

That's why you're going to have to just rely on collectors to have common sense. Treat your CGC books like you do your raw books, Mylar-ed or not. Most people with this common sense are going to know that a CGC case does not give one carte blanche to display the book in direct sunlight/harmful light for prolonged periods of time. Surely by now everyone has learned about this effect and will take steps to prevent any further damage in the future.

I see mandatory re-grading as a non-issue in 15-20 years as well, because nobody's going to sell slabbed books without nice scans or some other kind of visual technology afforded us at that time to discern fading. I wouldn't bother to have a book re-graded just to get an updated label as many books such as the Church Action #1 have obviously held their grade/condition well over many years in lesser "bomb-proof" conditions than a slab.

That's why you're going to have to just rely on collectors to have common sense.

Yeah, like the general population, right? doh!

And I am not proposing a mandatory regrading policy, only that the "date slabbed" field is available for those who want to use it. Otherwise, in 10-20 years, all books will be suspect.

I think CGC will adopt a policy like this long-term, as it has the potential of a huge $$$ windfall in resubs.

If mylar blocks UV rays

But Mylar doesn't block *all* UV rays, and if a CGC book is on display, even in a legal Mylar or other UV contraption, it'll still fade in the long term.

That's why you're going to have to just rely on collectors to have common sense. Treat your CGC books like you do your raw books, Mylar-ed or not. Most people with this common sense are going to know that a CGC case does not give one carte blanche to display the book in direct sunlight/harmful light for prolonged periods of time. Surely by now everyone has learned about this effect and will take steps to prevent any further damage in the future.

I see mandatory re-grading as a non-issue in 15-20 years as well, because nobody's going to sell slabbed books without nice scans or some other kind of visual technology afforded us at that time to discern fading. I wouldn't bother to have a book re-graded just to get an updated label as many books such as the Church Action #1 have obviously held their grade/condition well over many years in lesser "bomb-proof" conditions than a slab.

Here is an interesting link about the damage caused by UV exposure. Very informative......

http://www.pegasusassociates.com/products/UVFilters/UVfilter.html#UVRadiation

I'm not surprised at all. Right now the stock market is stalled and rich investors are looking for other places to put their money. Places like Heritage have always pimped comics as an equal or better investment than the stock market (they even mailed me a book about it once). Other big slabbed dealers do the same.

So right now, there is a minor influx of investors with lots of money, looking for a better investment alternative than stocks. They don't know a hill-of-beans about collection, grading, etc. They do know that every place says AF 15, ASM 1, Hulk 181, etc. are all must haves for your "portfolio". They also have been brain washed with the 10 point system and how great CGC is, so if a label says 7.0, then that must be what it is, so pay that price or more for it.

If you look across the board right now, all these "investmemt portfolio" books are selling for prices way above the GPA average for the past few years. It's the result of a poor stock market. I saw this coming a year ago. I just wish I would have had more cash available to buy up some of these books then. I'd be sitting pretty now.

My next prediction is that the stock market will have another lackluster 2-3 years, but then things will start to pick up a little. When they do, these investors will want to sell to get back into the stock market (there will be a small flood over a year or two), and unfortunately they will learn that a book like this one that brings $6k+ now, will only fetch them maybe 3k then, because mainly collectors will be buying, and they will recognize that this book needs a regrade (which will probably come in lower, or at least should).