• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover fading...How much does it affect?

88 posts in this topic

This seems to be a very nice book the only thing that REALLY keeps me from wanting this book is the fading on the cover.

Does anyone know how much of the grade the fading is affecting?

Such a shame :(

cgc-asm-1-cgc70.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200209493463

Wow I surprised by the amount it's already been bid up to. :o

Fading drives me nutz I dont know how much C.G.C. dings for it, but I am amazed at the 7.0 status of this book, I would expect less with the fading. I too would be interested in others opinions.

Fading drives me nutz

Totally. My ASM 1 is a 2.5 with a decent color strike, and quite honestly, I wouldn't trade it for this copy.

I'd be more willing to live with fading on a scarce GA book, but not on a readily available SA book, and not at this price point.

Fading drives me nutz

Totally. My ASM 1 is a 2.5 with a decent color strike, and quite honestly, I wouldn't trade it for this copy.

I'd be more willing to live with fading on a scarce GA book, but not on a readily available SA book, and not at this price point.

I wouldnt go THAT far :baiting:

I wonder if some of the fading happened after this book was graded. It looks like a 7.0 without the fading.

I wonder if some of the fading happened after this book was graded. It looks like a 7.0 without the fading.

Doesn't the holder protect from something like 97% of UV rays? It would take more than the 4+ years this has been holdered to get that faded.

Fading drives me nutz

OK, but I would. That's what makes it an opinion. :gossip:

Even on a book with everything else going for it, the fading would detract too much from my enjoyment of the cover. Color strike is a huge factor in whether or not a book's cover appeals to me, and a factor which has nothing to do with the current numerical grading system.

It looks like a 7.0 without the fading.

I agree. (shrug) I don't have experience grading this particular defect, but just intuitively I'm surprised this book would make it past 6.0/6.5.

Fading drives me nutz

OK, but I would. That's what makes it an opinion. :gossip:

Even on a book with everything else going for it, the fading would detract too much from my enjoyment of the cover. Color strike is a huge factor in whether or not a book's cover appeals to me, and a factor which has nothing to do with the current numerical grading system.

I agree. I don't care what the label says, that's not an attractive 7.0. I would also rather have a sharp 2.5 with unobtrusive defects like back cover chips or stains, but nice cover eye appeal and colors.

I agree. I don't care what the label says, that's not an attractive 7.0. I would also rather have a sharp 2.5 with unobtrusive defects like back cover chips or stains, but nice cover eye appeal and colors.

To me, fading that bad would drop the value comparable to an extensively restored copy.

Reminds me of something garthgantu posted once.

"I can remember a Spidey #4 hanging in the window of Plant's and Beerbohm's Comics & Comix shop in SF for several years starting around 1974, in very nice shape, with a price of $8 or $10 on it... every time I visited the shop, that Spidey 4 looked more faded and sun-bleached... and every time I'd think "someone's gotta save that book!" ...but then I'd remember that for the same money, I could get DD 10 - 20 in FN or so, or FF 20 - 30 in VG or so, and just leave the Spidey hanging there..."

:(

From the grading guide, it states that fading is allowed with a grade of 4.5 and below. Unless that is not fading and an effect from the original printing it may have occurred post slabbing. I don't think the holder does anything for UV protection at all, mostly mechanical damage. I've seen at a LCS that is completely devoid of natural light with books on the wall that have severely faded with just the flourecent light.

Doesn't the holder protect from something like 97% of UV rays? It would take more than the 4+ years this has been holdered to get that faded.

Slabs don't provide any addtional UV protection that other ordinary transparent plastics provide, that being a very minute degree of protection. Mylar sleeves, however, according to advertising, offer the protection you mention. But I don't know if that has been tested.

This definitely looks like post-slab fading, as there is no way CGC would give that book a 7.0 as-is.

That is one of the dangers of CGC books - they can be mishandled, left in page-destroying climates, set out on display and faded, yet the grade stays the same. Then you get it in the mail, and the PQ is Tan, yet the label reads White.

If that book were in a Mylar, no way a dealer would try and get away with grading it a 7.0.

I'm going to have to post my copy of Green Lantern #1 in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade?" section and let you guys tell me what you think it grades out at. The colors are VERY washed out on that cover...otherwise it's not in bad shape. I too was wondering how much to deduct for the color loss on that issue. I'll see if I can't get it posted tonight if you guys will look for it and let me know what you think. Been pondering whether to send it in for grading or not.....

Thanks!

Mike

This definitely looks like post-slab fading, as there is no way CGC would give that book a 7.0 as-is.

That is one of the dangers of CGC books - they can be mishandled, left in page-destroying climates, set out on display and faded, yet the grade stays the same. Then you get it in the mail, and the PQ is Tan, yet the label reads White.

If that book were in a Mylar, no way a dealer would try and get away with grading it a 7.0.

If I buy a CGC book that I plan on keeping for the long-term I always crack it out. I have had people tell me that I shouldn't do it because I'll have ot get it reslabbed when I want to sell. My response is simple - 10 or 15 years from now I'll have to get it reslabbed antway because no one will buy a book that has been slabbed for that long. In 2020 I certainly won't be willing to buy books that has been sitting in the same slab for 15 or 20 years without a regrade.

Mike

My response is simple - 10 or 15 years from now I'll have to get it reslabbed antway because no one will buy a book that has been slabbed for that long. In 2020 I certainly won't be willing to buy books that has been sitting in the same slab for 15 or 20 years without a regrade.

I honestly think that CGC will be forced, by the buyers, to institute a "Date Graded" field on the label, and make this information freely available to *any* interested buyer.

In 10+ more years, any buyers left will be very hesitant to trust the number the label.

If I buy a CGC book that I plan on keeping for the long-term I always crack it out. I have had people tell me that I shouldn't do it because I'll have ot get it reslabbed when I want to sell. My response is simple - 10 or 15 years from now I'll have to get it reslabbed antway because no one will buy a book that has been slabbed for that long. In 2020 I certainly won't be willing to buy books that has been sitting in the same slab for 15 or 20 years without a regrade.

Mike

I hardly saw Borock's lips move! :baiting:

Joking aside, you have a legitimate point, although I would certainly buy an old slab from someone I trust. CGC casing/certification would be a plus regardless when it was done, but as the years drag on one will have to consider that slabbing does not guarantee a book's CGC grade will be maintained.