• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do dust shadows bother you?

61 posts in this topic

"How much do dust shadows bother you? "

How much does it bother you? Look at it :baiting: Its obviously not very attractive.

Part of my decision making process when buying a book is considering its resale value should I decide to part with it, so other peoples' opinions on something like this are important.

It bothers me enough that I haven't even been able to bring myself to make an offer, much less meet the asking price.

It bothers me enough that I haven't even been able to bring myself to make an offer, much less meet the asking price.

Well, that's pretty much your answer right there. I wouldn't buy an 8.5 that looked like that either.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! I appreciate the input. (worship)

I'm not turned off by dust/sun shadows. They're a part of collecting GA that I've come to accept. Browning pages is another thing all together. I hate brown pages!

Hey Gary, find me a high grade Supes 18!

I can't say definitively, but I believe I owned that Supes 18 with the sun/dust shadows! Maybe that's why it's not bothering me!

Hey, you never know what may turn up, Jeff!

Another problem that I have with Superman #18 is that I used to own a beautiful copy. I bought it from Mark Wilson at the San Diego Con about 18 years ago. It may have been cleaned as it had an absolutely beautiful cover. I had it for a few years, then sold it to chase some Action Mile Highs. Now, I compare every Superman #18 that I see to that copy, and they all come up short, except for the Reilly copy.

There are a few pretty nice copies in the Heritage archive. I wish I could get my hands on one of those!

yes, the shadows on that Supes #18 bother me, otherwise that book would already be mine :shy:

I look at it also from a price standpoint, I wouldn't pay over $1,000 for a book with dust shadows of that type, up to $1k , sure, but not over. be patient and a nice copy will turn up and I'm betting at a lesser price than this one.

and the Tom Reilly copy is just a little slice of heaven. :cloud9:

I guess it comes down to how bad you want the book. Personally, I'm not a big fan of dust shadows, but that wouldn't necessarily stop me from snagging a key issue either. As others have said, it's just part of the game so to speak (thumbs u

I've been semi-seeking a Superman 18 for a couple of years. I'd venture a guess that 75% of the copies I see have a dust shadow. That could be that nobody wants to sell the copies that don't have a shadow, but it seems much more common on that book.

And personally, dust shadows bother/don't bother me depending on the book. If it's a dark red cover and the dust shadow doesn't stand out much, no big deal. But on a book like Supes 18, it does detract a bit - partially because the background color is a big part of the art.

One thing that is a possiblity is to have the dust cleaned off. Not sure if there are any methods that can be used without dis-assembly. I know this sounds a little edgy to some of you but I had a terrific attic find I came across a few years ago that had dust shadows on several of the books. . The worst affected book was a Hulk #4. The book had a fairly dark dust shadow across the top of the front cover. I simply "wiped" off the dust shadow from the front cover with a soft tissue. It was hardly noticeable when I was done. I believe I sold as a 9.0 or 9.2 on Ebay raw.

That book was SWEET!

Any how, just a thought. Maybe something to look into.

(shrug)

R.

One thing that is a possiblity is to have the dust cleaned off. Not sure if there are any methods that can be used without dis-assembly.

I already spoke to Matt about it, and it would necessitate a wet cleaning, which would result in a big, bad PLOD.

I've been semi-seeking a Superman 18 for a couple of years. I'd venture a guess that 75% of the copies I see have a dust shadow. That could be that nobody wants to sell the copies that don't have a shadow, but it seems much more common on that book.

And personally, dust shadows bother/don't bother me depending on the book. If it's a dark red cover and the dust shadow doesn't stand out much, no big deal. But on a book like Supes 18, it does detract a bit - partially because the background color is a big part of the art.

Dust shadows do seem common on this book, although there are a few in the Heritage archive that have escaped that defect, a slabbed 7.5 and a raw 8.0. I wonder where they are these days?