• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

!@#$%^& ING USPS Nearly Killed My Sketch!

26 posts in this topic

I've been waiting anxiously for a couple of packages to arrive in the mail, one in particular: my Wolverine sketch commissioned from Herb Trimpe. When I saw no package leaning in front of the front door and there wasn't anything carefully positioned between side screen door and the side door, I was a little frustrated knowing it should arrive any time now.

Opening the front door, I looked at the mail basket (positioned below the mail slot to catch the goods) when crammed into the mail slot is a priority envelope bent nearly in half!!! :o What's worse is the return address was from Herb! :frustrated:

Thankfully, he packaged the artwork with cardboard inside which took the brunt of the damage. There is only a slight wave in the middle of the sketch. Thank goodness too cause it's a fantastic looking sketch. I also had asked him to sign a plain index card so I can place it right below the sketch when I matte and frame the piece. After his name he included another little head shot sketch of the Hulk- what a guy!

So, after a near heart attack, one of my amateur OA goals has been completed! Big thanks to Mrs. Mac Man for making it possible! :grin: I'll post some scans in just a bit.

they might have given away two things i ordered as well!! Funny thing that when i check the tracking it says both packages were delivered with signature....hmmm thats funny because i haven't received them. I wonder who's signature they have? Filed a complaint already, i wonder if they'll be able to track down another copy of this book in 8.5...oh wait, there are none....

Sorry if the Wolverine scan is a little light. I'm going to have to play around with my scan program to figure out how to darken it. You can see the slight indentation down the center... which is currently being remedied by a 30+ lb pile of books. doh!

Trimpe-WolverineSketch.jpg

And the signed index card with Hulk head sketch

Trimpe-HulkHeadshot.jpg

My $200 Picture Parade 1 arrived with the cardboarded flat rate envelope literally folded into thirds and jammed into my tiny apartment mailbox. I had to literally tear the evelope almost in half to get it out. The comic gods were smiling on me that day though, and by some miracle the book was unhurt. Now I insist that every book shipped to me comes in a box. :(

Bottom line? Ship in a box or you take your chances.

Postal Dorks.

:eek:

Glad to hear your piece wasn't damaged although I can imagine your

heart pounding a bit opening up that package. Very nice Forrest! :cloud9:

Speaking of Postal dorks I've had two books in a row lost in the

Canadian Postal system and both from different Canadian e-bay sellers. :frustrated:

Niether book was a big money book and one I was searching for

what seemed like years. :(

My new "Mail Person" is on a new kick of any package that does not

state "Do not Bend" she will make it fit into my Six x Eight inch mail

box. I've tried being nice, tried yelling at her and even bribed her and

she won't budge. It must suck to be a Mailman to be so cruel when she

knows she's damaging my books. (shrug):mad:

Sorry for the rantrant:sorry:

Very nice piece Forrest!! :luhv:

Fay, you could always hide in the bushes with a gun, "Put the comics on the ground and walk away slowly..." :grin: Joking, of course.

Thanks for the compliments all! When I was browsing through the "Favorite Sketches" post in the General Forum, I really fell in love with TheProfessor's sketch of Wolverine by Herb. I knew I had to get one!-)

Herb Trimpe...gotta love the guy...he has his own style and it was perfect for the 70's era Hulk... :cloud9:

Nice sketch..glad the !@#$%^& ING mail carrier didn't screw it up... :whistle:

I always ask to have my packages shipped to my work address, so I'm there to receive it. If I'm not there due to illness or vacation SOMEBODY in the office will take it and put it on my desk, they all know there could be some pricey stuff inside. Works well for me.

Fay, you could always hide in the bushes with a gun, "Put the comics on the ground and walk away slowly..." :grin: Joking, of course.

Not a bad idea Forrest and I wonder what the Canadian Penal System

has for receiving packages. hm

What I do to get around this if I'm home it just head downstairs as

soon as I see her truck pull up. It's the times I'm working day shift that I'm

in trouble. The comic Gods have smiled on me and they usually aren't

too bent with rarely a color breaking crease and then they go under my

pile of phone books, dictionaries, a full comic box and jars of pennies to

flatten them out.

Is that pressing? (shrug)

Not a bad idea Forrest and I wonder what the Canadian Penal Sytem

flatten them out.

If you have to roll the postman's corpse over to your book for added weight, then yes, it's pressing. If the body lands on the package of its own accord, its not pressing, its just luck. (thumbs u

Postal Dorks.

:eek:

My carrier is absolutely the BEST but I was the victim of a substitute last week. When anything(photograph, certificate, document, comic, etc) is shipped in a priority envelope with 2 stiff pieces of cardboard, you would think common sense would rule. What are some of these clowns thinking? I was home. I know for a fact it would have taken less effort to walk it to the door than it did to fold it in half.

Have you tried going down to the main post office and asking/ complaining about it to them?.. they left one of those annoying hanger things on my door stating I wasn't home for the package one time when I was so I went and asked about it nicely and since then I get all packages either in my box or to my door :D I think the thing is you got to turn them on each other because if you go down and give X person **** they get tired of it and don't want to put up with it so they go in return & give Y person **** so they don't have to deal with it :S

that or you may wind up just "not" getting in any packages anymoer heh!

ps that sketch rocks! If the bend is too much for you I shall gladly take if off you're hands ;)

You should print up the colored one as well & display em side by side that is if you are going to frame them or anything

flatten them out.

If you have to roll the postman's corpse over to your book for added weight, then yes, it's pressing. If the body lands on the package of its own accord, its not pressing, its just luck. (thumbs u

:signfunny:lol:roflmao::takeit:

Sweet sketch! :thumbsup: Looks like you'll be fine after the wave gets flattened out.

I had the chance to get a Wolverine sketch from Herb when he was at Wondercon, and he's just an all-around cool guy...his wife was very nice too.

Your experience with the USPS just emphasizes how important it is to try and ship comics and related items in boxes whenever possible...

flatten them out.

:signfunny:lol:roflmao::takeit:

Get a PO Box, cheapazz