• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 35

32 posts in this topic

I sent several books in to be graded and was surprised to receive the Tec 35 back unencapsulated. When I questioned Steve about it he told me that he had graded it a 3.5 due to the spine splits but it was not slabbed as CGC was concerned about damaging the book. Now, I am not in the loop as tight as most board members so i don't know how common this is. I have had several book from the Central Valley Pedigree which were not encapsulated due to overhang (as well as a large amount of Modern books!). I also would not want anyone to believe you can get a CGC grade without getting the book slabbed. This just happened to be an instance where i contacted Steve right after he was done grading the book but before he knew it would not be encapsulated. Hopefully that answers all questions. No restoration on the book. Brian Peets.

Ben can't they just add one of those spine braces like they use to have in some of the older GA slabbs to hold it a bit more secure? Must be one heck of a spine split. Maybe its time to get a professional to add some tape along the inside of the cover so it can get slabbed? Just a thought.

Not sure if I'd add any tape just to get it into the slab...I would think a note from Borock stating the 3.5 grade and a reason why they would not slab this copy would suffice for a lucky buyer :) The colors and paper on this book are really nice...

Ben can't they just add one of those spine braces like they use to have in some of the older GA slabbs to hold it a bit more secure? Must be one heck of a spine split. Maybe its time to get a professional to add some tape along the inside of the cover so it can get slabbed? Just a thought.

Not sure if I'd add any tape just to get it into the slab...I would think a note from Borock stating the 3.5 grade and a reason why they would not slab this copy would suffice for a lucky buyer :) The colors and paper on this book are really nice...

that won't happen... in fact, borock himself commented to another board member last year how inappropriate it is, being able to call up a grader from a competitor, and be given a grade verbally on the phone before the book was encapsulated...

Brian if it makes you feel better I had a low grade Tec #35 that CGC wouldn't slabb either, actually they didn't want to grade it because they worried that it would fall apart. The only conclusion I can draw from all of this is that Borock is anti Tec #35. :grin:

:signfunny: