• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

waay off topic - Bruce Hornsby/Ricky Skaggs

13 posts in this topic

I just got back from an amazing show with Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder, with special guest (?) Bruce Hornsby. Great "ole time" bluegrass like "Uncle Pen" and some other Bill Monroe covers along with Hornsby's "Long Valley Road" etc.

But the most incredible number was Rick James' "Superfreak" done in bluegrass style. Jawdropping. I couldn't believe it, everyone in the whole place was dumbfounded at how it sounded. I had to call my brother to tell him about the show, but all he said was, "yeah, Bruce Hornsby, who gave you the free tickets"? (He's obviously not as big a fan of Brucie's music as I am).

I am a huge Hornsby fan. I have seen him twice, once at Ravinia in north Chicago and once at the Rialto in Joliet. Both shows were great. I actually was just on his website the other day checking out his tour dates. Unfortunately none are near me. :(

Ricky Skaggs is a bit too traditional for me, but I'm a big fan of New Grass Revival.

A couple of years ago I sat and watched Bela Fleck and Tony Trischka (both ungodly banjo players) play and was close enough to the stage to spit on their shoes. It blew my mind - they asked for requests from the audience and weaved several songs together, ending in a Beatles medley.

I am a huge Hornsby fan. I have seen him twice, once at Ravinia in north Chicago and once at the Rialto in Joliet. Both shows were great. I actually was just on his website the other day checking out his tour dates. Unfortunately none are near me. :(
Me too but, I have never seen him in concert. :(