• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Refund Policies?

26 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have recently sold an Amazing Spider-Man #129 CGC 8.5 Item #230229491357 on ebay to a seller who has recently "demanded" a return from a pretty harsh e-mail from him. In that e-mail, the buyer has accused me (or someone else) of replacing a "true" 8.5 copy with that of an inferior copy, as well as gluing the case back together at certain points and edges. I "robotically" replied to him that I have not (and never have) participated in such fraudelent practices. He has since opened up a paypal claim with the same argument. After talking to a paypal supervisor, it appears that buyer has the "burden of proof".

My question are:

1. How many sellers give refunds on third-party graded items? Just for the record: If this buyer would have just stated that he didnt like the comic without any wild accusations, I very well may have agreed to a refund. Then again, I would have hoped that he would have asked questions before hand, if he had any buying preferences.

2. Has anyone ever gone through anything similar?

I appreciate everyone's opinions, even though this transaction may appear to be small in comparison to some of the much bigger transactions taking place here an elsewhere,

Eric

Spider-ManInfo

they say he has " "burden of proof" well did you ask just what proof that is ?.. Because if the guy out right opened the cgc cause then he could have very well done anything to it him self... if he thought it was a fake I think he should send it to cgc & have them look at it or something

Sounds like pure bs on paypals part there imo... I'd really contact cgc & see what they can do if anything about this

& geez if that works well... I'm going to buy a fake spiderman #1 or beat up #1 & then buy a cgc in nicer format open it up stick the beat up one in there & use that as proof and get my cash back on the cgc graded one :P

Then send it in for regrading

How about posting links to the auction & pics of the cgc that were used?..

and any pics or whatever so called "proof" that the seller has...

I had someone pull a similar stunt with a Golden Age Batman. He accused me of switching books and wanted a partial refund of $300. I refused. He finally back off after calling for graders notes and knew it was the same book. That was the nail in the coffin for me selling on Ebay and I rarely buy there now either. It's been 5 years of not having to deal with that bull mess using other venues like Pedigree and ComicLink.

No refund! :sumo:

Two things here...

Either...

A) Buyer thinks the book is overgraded by CGC and is accusing you of fraud to intimidate you into taking the book back.

Too bad.

He's buying a CGC 8.5 and that's what he got.

B) Buyer did what he claims you did.

If the book was damaged in shipping, then insurance should cover it.

Thanks to everyone for their quick responses/ opinions...I save images of all the comics I sell, so I really hope he did not "swap" the comic. The buyer wasn't complaining about anything that I think would be the result of Shaken Comics Syndrome. I got the comic from a very large collection.

One PayPal's side, I understand they have to stick to their policy, but the supervisor told me that the seller cannot just go visit "Fred's Comics" and get another opinion, specially since it was originally graded by a third party grading company. Other than his opinion, the seller has not brought any proof to the table so far. I posted a link to the auction in the original post. Ive seen the buyer's feedback, but there is no way to filter buyer's unless they are under a zero rating...Or is there?

ebay/ PayPal has really been slummin' the last half-year to a year. With the fee increases, and feedback changes, I will be slowly moving my business over to Spider-Man.Info in the back issue "Galleria" section I used a couple years ago and got lazy keeping up...Yes, thats a plug:),

Eric

I suspect the buyer had "buyer's remorse" after seeing the distributor overspray on top of the book and the cover miswrap when he had it in hand...

However, these two items are very apparent from the scan, so the buyer should've considered this before bidding.

Good luck with this, whatever you decide to do!

Oh ok so I misread that and paypal is going to make the buyer show proof then?.. I read it as they buyer had already shown proof :D Hope it all works out for you & paypal does not screw you...

Hey I noticed this ... " *

Reply by marmu1 (Nov-08-03 10:11):

It seems a bit premature to make these conclusions the auction ended 11/1!!

"

How the heck and where do you go to reply to feedback?..

Thanks for the good luck wishes...The overspray is relatively not un-common for this issue. I agree that I would hope someone would look at the image before laying down over $300 for a comic.

The buyer has just his opinion as proof so far. Regardless of how this plays out, I have become more and more disgusted with eBay/ PayPal, as many others have been. Hopefully the transition to my site will go as smoothly as it did when I first did it. I plan to make a few upgrades. Paying over $400-500 eBay fees per month will gradually decrease over time as well, so there is incentive:),

Eric

The book is professionally graded. If it has spots that look like it was open and reglued that is a problem, however, his feedback indicates a pattern of deception. He has not received more packages sent to him that I have seen in a while. I have over 4000 ebay sales, probably lost two or three packages in 8+ years. I doubt those packages were lost, I think the buyers pulled a fast one..

What this guy does is get a book and then files a claim saying he never received it. If Paypal wants to keep paying his claims, let them. It's there money.

On your end, volunteeer to take the book back and inspect it yourself. Since you have pictures you can easily see if he switched the book or tampered with the slab.

Maybe he's right? Maybe he's a thief? No sense ruining your good name with paypal, give the guy his money back after the book is returned in the exact condition it was shipped in. If he switched the book, your scan will likely show that. If the slab is cracked open, send it in for a regrade, and move on. As long as the book is the same, explain you plight to CGC, hopefully you will get the same grade and be OK..

Paypal has paid me twice in the past year. Sellers ripped me off and they stepped in and made it right. If a seller is on the losing side of these disputes it's only a matter of time before paypal pulls their plug and terminates their agreement. Don't win the battle and lose the war....The book will sell again, maybe for more $$??

I tolerate paypal, even though they are the big evil giant, I like it much better than money orders and bad checks.

I specify in my auctions that sales are final for CGC graded books, no returns/refunds are accepted.

Regardless, this guy is a loser. In the forums we see all the time slabs that we scratch our heads about. I also received a slab where the outer case has looked suspicious, but I've received them that way directly from CGC, as well. The inner well and seal is actually important part and not the outer case.

I inspected the book wen I received it, and again when I scanned/ photographed it, and again when I listed it...I honestly did not see anything out of the ordinary as far as the grading is concerned.

The problem I have now is that if this buyer is claiming that something is fraudelent with this #129, then he may vey well be of the same mind of someone who may return an inferior replacement copy, or a box of rocks through the claims process,

Eric

I inspected the book wen I received it, and again when I scanned/ photographed it, and again when I listed it...I honestly did not see anything out of the ordinary as far as the grading is concerned.

The problem I have now is that if this buyer is claiming that something is fraudelent with this #129, then he may vey well be of the same mind of someone who may return an inferior replacement copy, or a box of rocks through the claims process,

Eric

One time when I got ripped off on Ebay a couple of years back, I eventually received a parcel (after a hell of a lot of effort) and it contained a Daredevil # 72 CGC graded at 6.0. Not what I bought by a long shot. :censored: I should have opened it before I signed for it. doh!

Eric, I'm really sorry to hear this happened. The direction eBay is moving does not appear to be geared to protect the seller as much. I think you'd do well to reopen your doors on your site. And for what it's worth, your site is probably the BEST Spidey watering hole out there. Adding a sales section will only make it better!