• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color touch, should I get CGC fees back?

129 posts in this topic

Nobody rides for free MF!

Wasn't that the RATT song in Point Break?

I was thinking a Jackson Browne song.....minus the MF.

But that's only on the boulevard :baiting:

Only song I remember from that cheesy group is Round and Round...from their out in the cellar album? The only album that was decent and almost all of their songs were written by their drunk friends during their drug induced sex orgies.

Alot depends on the situation...

I'm a collector/dealer, so I try to look at it from both angles.

Did he guarentee the book to be restoration free? If so, you should be refunded both the purchase price and the slab fee. A dealer shouldn't make that guarentee unless the have the detection skills to back it up.

Did you buy it in person or over the web? If you saw the book in person, and he didn't guarentee grade/resto status, then you could see exactly what you were getting and you chose to buy it. At that point, he doesn't really have an obligation to refund anything. Offering you any refund is just good customer service on his part. Take it and don't look back.

If you bought it over the web, and it was something that couldn't obviously be seen through a scan, then he has an obligation to refund you the purchase price, at least.

Now, it does get sticky in some situations, because finding out the book is resto does decrease its value, but having it slabbed does improve its ability to sell. If you sent him back a raw resto book, it would be less valuable than the slabbed resto book, so he is getting some added value out of the slab that you paid for.

So looking at it from my perspective, if the dealer is taking the book back, and keeping your slab (instead of letting you crack it out). Then he should refund you for the book, and at least half of the slab fee. Another appraoch is that if he doesn't want to refund you for the slab too, then you return the book with the agreement that he will crack the slab and return the CGC label to you. Of course that is a waste of the slab fee entirely.

Basically, if the dealer wants the slab too, without paying anything on it, he is being a bit of a d**k. If the customer demands that the book be cracked out of the slab unless he is paid in full, then the customer is being a bit of a d**k, because he gains nothing by having the slab cracked.

Both sides appear reasonable with a refund of the purchase + 1/2 slab fees.

That sounds reasonable as well given the current state of the product. If he doesn't bite on it though I think you would be obligated to return said item in the "same condition" ie not in a holder...since he's not paying for that incremental benefit.

I'd work a deal with him where he discounts the purchase price (60%-70%) and then you still have your $125 investment in slabbing.

The possibilities are endless...turning lemons into lemonade. That is a sweet Duck book though.

After the refund, will the seller get his book back? If so, will it be cracked out of the slab before returning?

that's what I was going to say.

I'd have the seller pay first then on video I would crack the slab

and send him/her the book and video of me cracking it.

nutkick.gif

I've had the same thing happen to me through ebay, but not with a $2000 book (more like $70 on a copper age comic). The auction description had in all caps "UNRESTORED" and mentioned it was a great candidate for a CGC 9.8 (came from a similar crop of his that got all 9.8s). When the 9.8 PLOD came back I was obviously pissed but restrained myself when communicating with the seller. He initially gave back $40 then a refund in full after some well-reasoned arguments from my end. A couple weeks after the refund, he asked me when I shipped the book back to him because he should have received it by now. I never agreed to do this and told him he'd have to compensate me in some way for the grading fees. Let's just say that the book is still in my possession.

First off no you don't get the slabbing fees back BUT why would you crack it from the slab? By doing this the only one who profits from this is CGC. By leaving it in the slab, you give the seller a better chance of moving the book as a PLOD and recovering a portion of his proceeds. Guess what you crack it, and I bet someone decides to try and sell it as an unrestored raw book. Secondly, you crack it open and by whatever act of God damage it in any way, bye bye $2000 and $125 and you now own a raw restored book. It's paid for already, a lot less can go wrong for you and the hobby in general by returning it slabbed instead of cracking it open.

My logical 2 cents.

Jim

By leaving it in the slab, you give the seller a better chance of moving the book as a PLOD and recovering a portion of his proceeds.

This is where the problem lies on my end and possibly Transplant's: Would the seller actually give a portion of the proceeds? In my situation, he was already unwilling to give a full refund without prodding and I wouldn't necessarily trust him with the slab in hand.

Personally I'm fine without the grading fees refund. However, if he wants the thing back there has to be some sort of compensation.

has the seller even said that he wants the book back yet or expects it?.. What would the book get on ebay graded? maybe you could sell it on you're end and take out any costs that way and give the rest to the seller if he would agree to that?.. Its highly unlikely that he paid $2000 for the book like you did so maybe he would be happy with just getting back what he paid for the book if you can

has the seller even said that he wants the book back yet or expects it?.. What would the book get on ebay graded? maybe you could sell it on you're end and take out any costs that way and give the rest to the seller if he would agree to that?.. Its highly unlikely that he paid $2000 for the book like you did so maybe he would be happy with just getting back what he paid for the book if you can

Let me make this clear. I have no reason to think that the seller knew the ct was there. He and I are working out how to handle the situation: total/partial refund, slabbed/unslabbed, etc. He's local so that makes it easier. We are going to meet once the book arrives and look at it together. Until then, I was just curious as to how other people view this type of thing. For the record, I don't see any reason to keep the book in a slab if he won't cover at least part of the cost. If I was worried that the seller would push the book on someone, keeping it slabbed would do nothing to prevent that. My goal is for everyone to be the way they were before the sale. Therefore, if one wants the benefit of the CGC slab, one must pay for that benefit.

If someone buys a book from us sold as unrestored, submits it, and it comes back restored we also refund any CGC fees. Sounds like we may be in the minority, but I think it is only fair. We stand behind what we are selling and wouldn't want a customer to be out of pocket due to our mistake or oversight.

Get your original money back, forget the CGC fees, thank your lucky stars that you're dealing with someone that will readily give you a quick refund without a long drawn out battle, and then move on...

Wasn't that the RATT song in Point Break?

you got a pretty good memory...

I didn't even remember that, but odd enough now I do

even though I haven't seen that flick in over a decade.

Yes it was. I watch that film religiously at least once a year. Beats "Roadhouse" for best guilty pleasure flick.

Sorry to hear about the PLOD.

Here's my opinion (for what it's worth):

If you decide to return the book rather than agree to a discounted price, then it should be returned in the condition you received it in (i.e. unslabbed). Otherwise, the seller is benefiting in the form of a free CGC certification by providing you with incorrect information about the book's restoration status, regardless of whether he knew beforehand. If he wants it returned slabbed, then I think it's only fair that you be compensated for the CGC fees.

First off no you don't get the slabbing fees back BUT why would you crack it from the slab? By doing this the only one who profits from this is CGC. By leaving it in the slab, you give the seller a better chance of moving the book as a PLOD and recovering a portion of his proceeds. Guess what you crack it, and I bet someone decides to try and sell it as an unrestored raw book. Secondly, you crack it open and by whatever act of God damage it in any way, bye bye $2000 and $125 and you now own a raw restored book. It's paid for already, a lot less can go wrong for you and the hobby in general by returning it slabbed instead of cracking it open.

My logical 2 cents.

Jim

I don't really get the talk of cracking it, in the big picture.

I mean you paid $125 for a service. Crack the book out and it's like you burned $125. Further, to make that slab, someone had to pump some oil, refine it, and cut down a tree. Crack it out and all that is waste that ends up in a landfill.

Then on top of that, if the book is cracked out, the dealer ends up with a resto that he will probably try to dump, and then the next dealer sells it as unrestored, and another collector goes through what you just did (and another $125 goes into CGC's pocket).

Whether he cracks it or doesn't, he is still out the $125. At least if he leaves it in, he helps the dealer move the book, and he helps keep another fellow collector from getting burned.

Sorry to hear about the PLOD.

Here's my opinion (for what it's worth):

If you decide to return the book rather than agree to a discounted price, then it should be returned in the condition you received it in (i.e. unslabbed). Otherwise, the seller is benefiting in the form of a free CGC certification by providing you with incorrect information about the book's restoration status, regardless of whether he knew beforehand. If he wants it returned slabbed, then I think it's only fair that you be compensated for the CGC fees.

:screwy: