• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Schomburgs!

379 posts in this topic

I considered reviving the Shark and GGA threads for this one, but "Post your Schomburgs!" won out....What the heck, no posts here since January?

This issue wasn't super high on my want-list, but I watched it on the Comic Connect's website for so long, I finally decided I would be sad if it disappeared into someone else's collection. That and it gives me a mini-run of some of the later issues. Very nice copy in-hand.

Fighting Yank #20

87361.jpg.ad043353c5fa655523cb5213e79b33db.jpg

I considered reviving the Shark and GGA threads for this one, but "Post your Schomburgs!" won out....What the heck, no posts here since January?

This issue wasn't super high on my want-list, but I watched it on the Comic Connect's website for so long, I finally decided I would be sad if it disappeared into someone else's collection. That and it gives me a mini-run of some of the later issues. Very nice copy in-hand.

Fighting Yank #20

Sweet!! Love the subtle coloring.

I picked this up about a year ago in a Comiclink auction. I have always been a bit conflicted about owning this book. The cover is clearly an attempt to deal with the information that was becoming public at the time about the Holocaust. At the same time it is a "comic book" portrayal of the events. Anyone who has read Maus know that a "comic book" can portray these events in a profound way, but I am not sure this cover captures the gravity of the situation. There were no superheroes to save the millions (some real heroes though.) That said, Schomburg would likely not have know the full horrors of the Holocaust at the point he drew this cover, so I think that it can be seen in that context.

This is actually the second copy of this book that I have owned. I purchased my first copy in the late 80`s at my LCS for $60 ($40 in trade and $20 cash.) It was the first GA superhero comic that I ever owned. I foolishly traded it away about 10 years later for a fraction of its value. I wasn`t fully aware how desirable the book was even then, and I guess I was conflicted enough about the above mentioned issues that I didn`t want to own it. The copy I had was quite distinctive. It was lower grade, maybe a 3.0, and it had 2 extra staples that were added with their prongs facing the outside of the spine (very amateur restoration indeed.) I wouldn`t be surprised if the book has has pro restoration since. If anyone happens to have a copy like this, I would be interested as I am curious as to where the book might have ended up. Without futher ado:

cap46.jpg

Just picked this up in Baltimore.

fd4d5927.jpg

I have got to get to a mother f-ing con. Apparently all the best stuff is there. I go to every dealer's online site, feebay, all over and can't find half the books that people post on here that they nab at cons.

Great book Roy. I had a pretty cgc 7 (i think) awhile back but sold to a boardie. Sell it back to me if you see this. :grin:

I posted some of these paintings before but I found that Martin Prine had loaded these up from a book called "Pass the Ammunition".

Enjoy

4014875844_da4c9173fd_b.jpg

This one was done by August. The air craft carrier was signed by Alex. The first one may be by August too. I have a couple of magazines that printed these pictures and I had several puzzles that printed them too. Loved the puzzles but didn't have the aircraft carrier which is my favorite.

fd4d5927.jpg

I have got to get to a mother f-ing con. Apparently all the best stuff is there. I go to every dealer's online site, feebay, all over and can't find half the books that people post on here that they nab at cons.

Great book Roy. I had a pretty cgc 7 (i think) awhile back but sold to a boardie. Sell it back to me if you see this. :grin:

Coming up to a Comiclink auction near you.

lol

MCMiles handed it to C'link in B'more.

I wasn't really in a position to spend but this book was bought from a board member to help him out a bit as he had his money bag stolen in B'more.

BTW, this book did originally sell through these boards...maybe you just need to pay more attention.

:baiting:

fd4d5927.jpg

Coming up to a Comiclink auction near you.

lol

MCMiles handed it to C'link in B'more.

I wasn't really in a position to spend but this book was bought from a board member to help him out a bit as he had his money bag stolen in B'more.

BTW, this book did originally sell through these boards...maybe you just need to pay more attention.

:baiting:

Ahh! That's right. It was Miles. Here's a scan of my old copy. I miss it. Gotta get it back. :)

mysticcomics10.jpg