• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay auction etiquette

36 posts in this topic

Quick question for you veterans...

I had an eBay auction end on the evening of Mar-26. I stipulated in the auction "I accept PayPal only" and "payment is to be received no later than 3 days."

This is a general rule for me, but I have yet to enforce it because I usually get my pay within that time. I have added this stipulation to my auctions to help expedite payment. Ever since I added this little "note," I have yet to have a buyer waiting a week or two before paying without communication.

That brings me to my latest auction where I had to sell a book to help accumulate funds to help purchase my grail. The "3 day" deadline ends this evening. I sent a reminder email this morning, as well as an invoice after the auction's end.

Knowing that I didn't receive anything close to GPA for a this book. Would it be proper etiquette to adhere to this hard deadline (and refuse payment) even if he pays by...let's say tomorrow.

I think I might get payment tonight but...its a thought. Just in case... hm

A 3 day deadline is ridiculously short.

I agree.

I have nearly 2000 ebay transactions and have never stipulated a time payment period. For the longest time I was just happy not to get deadbeats and actually get paid for my auctions.

But like somebody else commenting about the GPA, I don't know if we'd be talking about this had you made more money. You'd probably be more patient if you were getting more dough is my assumption.

Had the book surpassed GPA....would we be having this discussion?

Of course not. But I already acknowledged that. If I got more than GPA of course I would be more patient. But that's beside the point of my question.

Not really, what happened to treating each customer the same ? (shrug)

Everybody likes to get paid quickly, but you would be in the wrong as eBay gives buyers 7 days from the date the listing ended to pay up before you can issue a NPB.

But then why would one bid on an auction if there is that stipulation. Thats like saying, "I don't care what the seller stipulates." "Screw him." Maybe I need to sell quickly for a reason.

And as for the 3 day rule, I rarely have issues getting money in 3 days or less. Unless the seller contacted me, I have never had trouble waiting if there was communication. It is more of a little note to either get communication from the buyer or quick payment.

And I give much more rope to board members than I do with eBay buyers. Unless they are a repeat customer.

But then why would one bid on an auction if there is that stipulation. Thats like saying, "I don't care what the seller stipulates." "Screw him." Maybe I need to sell quickly for a reason.

This is something you can't enforce when you use eBay...if you sell it in a less controlled environment (like the for sale section here) you can dictate your own rules.

But you sold it on eBay and it's their world and you just live in it (shrug)

Ebay allows 72 hours for first contact to be made, and then another 4 days for payment to be completed. But from experience I know that a lot of buyers who do not pay in the first 72 hours more often than not end up causing you problems. Not all of them, but it's one of the signs.

Here's my 2c : Send the buyer notification that they are required to send payment by the 72-hour deadline as laid out in your listing. If you do not, then you will report them as a NPB 4 days immediately following. In this respect, you still fall within eBay's rules while still reminding them of the guidelines laid out in your listing. Sale price of the item should not factor into this discussion whether a profit is made or not as this is simply an issue of following through with a transaction. :shrug:

Knowing that I didn't receive anything close to GPA for a this book. Would it be proper etiquette to adhere to this hard deadline (and refuse payment) even if he pays by...let's say tomorrow.

As others have said, ebay does allow the 7 days for the payment. But, in any case, I don't see how enforcing it so strictly would serve you well --- Wouldn't it be much better to get this buyer's payment after a total of 5 or 6 days, rather than incur the added expense/delay/hassle of re-listing and trying it again?

No offense, but I sort of view your 3-day payment requirement as more of a seller preference than an (enforcable) requirement. It's like the policy at my LCS of no credit cards for purchases of less than $20. They have the rule for a reason, but I have known them to bend it when someone doesn't have the cash on them.

This is something you can't enforce when you use eBay...if you sell it in a less controlled environment (like the for sale section here) you can dictate your own rules.

But you sold it on eBay and it's their world and you just live in it (shrug)

Ebay allows 72 hours for first contact to be made, and then another 4 days for payment to be completed. But from experience I know that a lot of buyers who do not pay in the first 72 hours more often than not end up causing you problems. Not all of them, but it's one of the signs.

you're right. I have noticed when you haven't heard or rec'd payment from a seller in 3 days, 90% of the time there's an issue. Well, it will be 72 hrs tonight. and yet no communication from the other party. (shrug)

Im more agitated that I wanted a quick,smooth sale, so I can pay off a grail...rather than being greedy because I'm selling it for far less than gpa (I've bitten the dust on many a book in my short time here). I'm getting my grail for far less than gpa as well, so it actually works out. That's why I said its not really the point. Even if i were getting it at more than gpa, not hearing anything from the buyer worries me.

"A bird in the hand... :blahblah: "

btw, thanks for the input guys!

As others have said, ebay does allow the 7 days for the payment. But, in any case, I don't see how enforcing it so strictly would serve you well --- Wouldn't it be much better to get this buyer's payment after a total of 5 or 6 days, rather than incur the added expense/delay/hassle of re-listing and trying it again?

No offense, but I sort of view your 3-day payment requirement as more of a seller preference than an (enforcable) requirement. It's like the policy at my LCS of no credit cards for purchases of less than $20. They have the rule for a reason, but I have known them to bend it when someone doesn't have the cash on them.

Like I said its not really there to really be "enforced per se"... just more to get transactions moving. Or at least to let me hear from a seller. If you talk to anyone I've dealt with...I'm more than willing to work with them.

(thumbs u

I have noticed when you haven't heard or rec'd payment from a seller in 3 days, 90% of the time there's an issue.

For new bidders, the probablity is higher, but I routinely take a week or so to pay for my purchases but I usually have a long history with the seller.

Had the book surpassed GPA....would we be having this discussion?

Of course not. But I already acknowledged that. If I got more than GPA of course I would be more patient. But that's beside the point of my question.

No, thats the entire crux of your aqrgument.

If you got more for the book, then you have admittedly said you would ignore your own rule.

But, because you got hammered on a book, you want to automatically go with the hard and fast rule.

Cant have it both ways.

I'll admit not getting replies to emails is irritating...but it happens all the time...I have successful transactions whereby the buyers refuse to reply to any emails and the payments come along (always with Paypal)...if a buyer is going to send check or money order (if seller allows it) then I feel communication is absolutely necessary...hey some people just don't like to email... (shrug)

I have a consulting engineer I work with and is very good but he just pretty much refuses to reply to emails (says he has an aversion to typing)...kinda funny but it annoys the hell out of me... :frustrated:

Good luck with your transaction... :wishluck:

Thanks for your opinions guys. I just wanted to field opinions on what some of you thought about this.

It was just a thought. I am very accommodating and just get irritated when people don't do business the way I do or just outright ignore you.

Prompt, smooth and good communication. Especially on eBay, where I've dealt with some unethical people. I shouldn't let that affect me from doing whats right.

Thanks again.

(worship)