• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tintin cover breaks a mil?

63 posts in this topic

Krazy Chameleon

(to the tune of Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon")

OA shilling in your eyes all the way

If I listen to your lies would you say

You're so sad, no real conviction

Thrill bidding auctions, not paying no

When you're banned, it's not forever

You come and go

You come and go

Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Chameleon

You come and go

You come and go

Shilling would be easy

If your motives weren't so easily seen

You're green with envy, of me

Didn't hear your twisted words every day

And you used to shill so well I heard you say

Buy some art, and make a million

Stocks going down, so buy some more

Kirby and Romita, the market is strong

Your siren song

Your siren song

Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Chameleon

You come and go

You come and go

Shilling would be easy

If your motives weren't so easily seen

Every shill is a revival (a revival)

I think you're a sad, sad man

Not my rival

Every shill is a revival (a revival)

You're a sad, sad man

Not my rival

You're so sad, no real conviction

Thrill bidding auctions, not paying no

When you're banned, it's not forever

You come and go

You come and go

55724-george.jpg.c86c1a7cf454cb36835a8b5e9c395cd6.jpg

lol

Isn`t it Monday morning in the US now? Why haven`t the Mods booted off Cry Baby Matt yet?

Apparently they're off buying up as much U.S. original art as they can before the euros start flowing over here. doh!

C'mon Mods, get with the program! :baiting::wishluck:

the U.S. market is larger and much more fragmented. There is much more supply of OA, not only of different books, artists and characters, but even within a single character's pantheon as you mentioned.

I'm not so sure? I'm not a student of european strips or european OA at all but it seems to me the european market would have many different strips because of the many different languages. Its not like the US where there is a single block of english speaking people. Now, and especially when this vintage work was being published the world was a bigger place and borders meant a little more... a lot of europeans have some passing familiarity with english now but that wasn't always the case. I would think there would be a decent amount of strips in each language therefore.

I lived in Italy when I was very young and certainly there were a plethora of all kinds of strips around.... I would that OA must be around, at least some of it. I wouldn't be so quick to assume the US market is more fragmented unless you have direct experience in this area.

the U.S. market is larger and much more fragmented. There is much more supply of OA, not only of different books, artists and characters, but even within a single character's pantheon as you mentioned.

I'm not so sure? I'm not a student of european strips or european OA at all but it seems to me the european market would have many different strips because of the many different languages. Its not like the US where there is a single block of english speaking people. Now, and especially when this vintage work was being published the world was a bigger place and borders meant a little more... a lot of europeans have some passing familiarity with english now but that wasn't always the case. I would think there would be a decent amount of strips in each language therefore.

I lived in Italy when I was very young and certainly there were a plethora of all kinds of strips around.... I would that OA must be around, at least some of it. I wouldn't be so quick to assume the US market is more fragmented unless you have direct experience in this area.

Agreed, Deli likes to talk out of his . How one could say the U.S. market is more fragmented is total nonsense. Havent you guys caught on, Deli loves to hear himself talk. Even when he is proven wrong [still waiting for the OA crash] - he still doesnt shut up and pretends he knows whats he's talking about.

And Del,..jealous??? You must be frickin 'kidding me. Jealous of a pompous, poser windbag,..I think not.

Agreed, Deli likes to talk out of his . How one could say the U.S. market is more fragmented is total nonsense. Havent you guys caught on, Deli loves to hear himself talk. Even when he is proven wrong [still waiting for the OA crash] - he still doesnt shut up and pretends he knows whats he's talking about.

And Del,..jealous??? You must be frickin 'kidding me. Jealous of a pompous, poser windbag,..I think not.

Never heard a guy with Gene's kind of means be told he knows nothing about economics, that and he has done well enough to have his own Aston Martin.....not alot of people can say that...and I know you can't.

C

Firstly, you dont know jack sh#t about my financial positiion.

Second, Deli is a total blow-hard [no matter what you say] and for a self proclaimed eco-whiz has been remarkably unsuccesful at predicting the collapse of OA [5 years now].

Third, I wouldnt buy a lame depreciable asset like an Austin.

But the point is,...Delicatessen has said OA would never hit a Million dollars,...and I have taken the opposite bet,....

And guess who was correct,..and guess who was wrong?

Well I agree that being a broker or whatever it is gene does doesn't mean you can see the future. If anything I think it makes you overconfident in your predictive abilities. Bear Stearns anybody?

But whether or not american OA hits a mil anytime soon... who knows. Frankly I think any of the big marvel key SA covers would have a willing buyer at that level already.

Whether or not fine art people ever slum it into comic art is up for debate too.... its an old debate and at this point who cares. Gene's point that american OA is B&W which will be hard for fine art people to accept holds some water to me... but I don't think you need fine art people for certain OA pieces to become worth loads anyways. This board alone has created a huge interest that didn't exist before.

Second, Deli is a total blow-hard [no matter what you say] and for a self proclaimed eco-whiz has been remarkably unsuccesful at predicting the collapse of OA [5 years now].

But the point is,...Delicatessen has said OA would never hit a Million dollars,...and I have taken the opposite bet,....

1)As for your financial situation, I don't want to know. I doubt I would get a straight answer. Thus far it's been alot of talk and no show, frankly. The one time your name was attached to a public sale you whelched.

2)Gene has put his money where his mouth is, actually acquiring :o and showing :o :o :o pieces of art of an extraordinary high caliber for months and years now. He has shown more public faith in the comic art market, by actually putting his money where his mouth is than you have in any of your dozens of incarnations. Gene's got his OA street cred....all we have from you is smoke and shill.

3)Being that you seemingly don't know what an Astin Martin is (Austin hm(shrug) ) tells me that you probably don't have one.

Gene enjoys the artwork for what it is, he doesn't attach some insane need to shill and fluff. It's getting a little sad Matt, seriously.

Regardless, no matter how much screaming and yelling and berating and insulting you do you aren't gonna do much to change the value of those couple of Romita pieces. The market is gonna do what it's gonna do.

Funny thing is I am a huge fan of Comic Art and it's potential economic future, but your approach is so fricken caustic it prevents regular folks from agreeing with you or taking any of your several revived personas seriously.

C

1)As for your financial situation, I don't want to know. I doubt I would get a straight answer. Thus far it's been alot of talk and no show, frankly. The one time your name was attached to a public sale you whelched.

2)Gene has put his money where his mouth is, actually acquiring :o and showing :o :o :o pieces of art of an extraordinary high caliber for months and years now. He has shown more public faith in the comic art market, by actually putting his money where his mouth is than you have in any of your dozens of incarnations. Gene's got his OA street cred....all we have from you is smoke and shill.

3)Being that you seemingly don't know what an Astin Martin is (Austin hm(shrug) ) tells me that you probably don't have one.

Gene enjoys the artwork for what it is, he doesn't attach some insane need to shill and fluff. It's getting a little sad Matt, seriously.

Regardless, no matter how much screaming and yelling and berating and insulting you do you aren't gonna do much to change the value of those couple of Romita pieces. The market is gonna do what it's gonna do.

Funny thing is I am a huge fan of Comic Art and it's potential economic future, but your approach is so fricken caustic it prevents regular folks from agreeing with you or taking any of your several revived personas seriously.

C

I absolutely LOVE when people designate themselves as a fantasy delegate for a particular group fantasy -- its a sign that the person is a major A-hole. Why do you always feel compeled to butt in?,......geez-louise.

It certainly IS getting tiring that YOU wanna be offended by me while I could care less about you.

I absolutely LOVE when people designate themselves as a fantasy delegate for a particular group fantasy -- its a sign that the person is a major A-hole. Why do you always feel compeled to butt in?,......geez-louise.

It certainly IS getting tiring that YOU wanna be offended by me while I could care less about you.

This isn't really germane to the subject at hand, but something compels me nonetheless; Mr Kat, you have zero credibility here. You live in an absurd fairy-land if you think anyone cares one whit about what you have to say. Makes no difference if your message is true, an interesting theory, or just the antics of a sad, mad, rambling, jester who lives to make trouble in our little slice of cyberspace.

Even a fool would realise this. Being no fool, I'm sure you know, and have known for quite some time. Yet you persist. Puzzling.

Enjoy your ban. See you in six months

You post on boards where I am a welcomed and long standing member while you have been banned more times than anyone cares to count. You keep coming back on this list and other lists and getting booted. That should tell you who is butting in and who isn't.

YOU are the one butting in here, not me. YOU are the one that chooses to post the same broken record drivel and resort to insulting guys like Gene when you can't take the heat.

I don't want to be offended by you, but you are really good at this.

Several people I know and respect and are friends of mine have been the subject of your diatribes and insults, or been the subject of your Ebay shenanigans...so while you think I am butting in, I think you keep on sticking your nose in where it isn't welcome and doesn't belong.

BTW :gossip: It's "couldn't care less" (thumbs u

C

Wow what a safe bet. You really live on the edge. Montel needs to fire Sylvia Brown and hire you !!

With inflation one day the avg new car will sell for a million dollars. IF they have cars at that time that is.

Hey last year I predicted Britney Spears would get drunk. Look at me !!

Whoo Hoo I need attention !! Whoo hoo !!

Hey I'm running with scissors !!

anyone

anyone........

hello...................

The article on the auction ("Comic book originals break into art market") seemed to be largely about European buyers of comic art. There's a passing reference to the American market but it's only given a sentence or two.

Because my own interest is largely in American comic artwork -- most collectors buy what they read or read as a child -- I was unaware of the growing European interest in our hobby. When I visit dealer websites in the UK...or go to the UK version of eBay...I'm not finding the elevated prices for European artwork that seem to accompany, say, an original Jim Lee 'Batman' cover or Kirby 'Fantastic Four' cover.

In other words, 'Judge Dread' covers aren't going for thousands of dollars. Is the European collectors' market really getting hot/hot/hot (as the hypemeister in the article implied) or is this very rare, very desirable Tintin piece the exception?

The article on the auction ("Comic book originals break into art market") seemed to be largely about European buyers of comic art. There's a passing reference to the American market but it's only given a sentence or two.

Because my own interest is largely in American comic artwork -- most collectors buy what they read or read as a child -- I was unaware of the growing European interest in our hobby. When I visit dealer websites in the UK...or go to the UK version of eBay...I'm not finding the elevated prices for European artwork that seem to accompany, say, an original Jim Lee 'Batman' cover or Kirby 'Fantastic Four' cover.

In other words, 'Judge Dread' covers aren't going for thousands of dollars. Is the European collectors' market really getting hot/hot/hot (as the hypemeister in the article implied) or is this very rare, very desirable Tintin piece the exception?

It's mainly the Belgo-Franco clear line art that is in very high demand all over Europe and which fetch the high prices.

It's mainly the Belgo-Franco clear line art that is in very high demand all over Europe and which fetch the high prices.

That and Enki Bilal & Hugo Pratt. Bilal's interior pages (OK they are painted in full color) fetch very strong prices. He was the previous recordman with a page of Bleue Sang going over 200k$. Now it seems that Pratt is second runner up with that Corto Maltese cover.

That and Enki Bilal & Hugo Pratt. Bilal's interior pages (OK they are painted in full color) fetch very strong prices. He was the previous recordman with a page of Bleue Sang going over 200k$. Now it seems that Pratt is second runner up with that Corto Maltese cover.

When I was visiting London's Science Museum several years ago, there were a couple of Enki Bilal original pages on display in the main Exhibition Hall - alongside some early Frank Hampson DAN DAREs.

Quite a prestigeous venue for some comic-book artwork examples . . .

And as a quick observation on a previous post . . . I'm not into JUDGE DREDD myself, but I don't have any problem finding deep-pocketed buyers for the real giants of UK comic-art, Frank Hampson and Frank Bellamy (upwards of $4,000 a page), on those ocassions when I need to fund my other purchases.

When I was visiting London's Science Museum a couple of years ago, there were a couple of Enki Bilal original pages on display in the main Exhibition Hall - alongside some early Frank Hampson DAN DAREs.

Quite a prestigeous venue for some comic-book artwork examples . . .

And as a quick observation on a previous post . . . I'm not into JUDGE DREDD myself, but I don't have any problem finding deep-pocketed buyers for the real giants of UK comic-art, Frank Hampson and Frank Bellamy (upwards of $4,000 a page), on those ocassions when I need to fund my other purchases.

Much of the quality European art hasn't needed to go through American dealers or get purchased by American buyers in order to fetch escalated prices. Therefore it stays off the radar screen for those just looking at prices/pieces that go through the American market.

For fans of Herge's Tintin, it was no surprise. Tintin is the most popular comic worldwide. His graphic novels are translated into almost every major language. In years past, several specialty pieces by Herge have fetched a few hundred thousand dollars in auctions held in Europe.

Herge's estate retained about 85% of his work. On occassion the estate will allow a museum exhibition to display his work.

Given the demand for his art, there are also a lot of forgeries in the marketplace. If in doubt of a piece of art, I would suggest contacting the Herge estate where a representative can help authenticate or an item or determine if it's a forgery. They are extremely protective of the Herge legacy and are very accommodating.

I speak from first hand experience since, unfortunately, I own a forged watercolor.

That is a story for another time.

For those of you not familiar with Herge's work, pick up a graphic novel. The smaller compilations sold at Barnes & Noble don't do the art justice. You can probably find the larger oversized editions in used bookstores or ebay. They are well written with incredible art. His style looks deceptively simple when in fact the line detail is amazing. Herge often used National Geographic for photo reference while researching the countries from which his stories are based.

Herge remains one of my favorite all time writers / artists.

Off topic ...

Spielberg optioned the movie rights for Tintin years ago ... the rumor was he was planning on casting Gweneth Paltrow as Tintin because of her androgynous short spiky hair.

Titinologist.org is for fans worldwide. I am a member but rarely post. It's for all things Tintin but not really a forum for original art.

Cheers!

N.