• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I did a 2nd painting - The Hulk & villains

35 posts in this topic

After painting the Spider-Man picture about 2 months ago, I found I really enjoyed it and decided to do another painting. I completed this one about 3 weeks ago and it went much faster than the Spider-Man. (Not sure which nephew get's this one. (shrug) ) This one is an acrylic on Gesso Board. I like how smooth it is to illustrate on.

From the onset, I decided I wanted to do a pseudo-picture frame with the Hulk center and some of his (very, very limited) Rogues Gallery around him. I wanted to paint a storm behind the Hulk, probably subconsciously harking to some of the Rampaging Hulk covers? The border was originally to be all yellow but I found I liked the transition better.

It's interesting how many ways you can portray the Hulk in terms of size, etc. I went with what I originally sketched which seems to be more of a 'Ferrigno" size. The face was a challenge due to the painting only being 11" x 14".

I think I enjoyed doing the Rogue's best. It was tough to come up with the 4th & 5th one. The last one added was the Maestro. I wanted all to be only a headshot and somewhat looking at the Hulk. More of a SA DC style I guess. I went with a classic Leader and am pretty happy with the way he turned out. He was probably the easiest to do. My Abomination looked a little better in B&W prior to painting. My take clearly left the "fins/ears" smaller than normal. Wendigo was fun to do and I went with a more "monstrous" approach. Uncanny X-Men #139 probably had an effect on that. Rhino was another easy one to do and slightly different than the Spider-Man one I did. Trying to show the Absorbing Man as metal and reflecting some lightning was a bit of a challenge. At first I was going to do him as stone but I didn't want another "gray" character with Rhino above. I'm not sure if I'm overly happy with Maestro but it is what it is. Maybe I didn't make him "savage" enough.

Well, here it is. Thanks for letting me share this here as this crowd is more "educated" as to who half of these characters are. lol I'm reading the Kirby book right now and it's adding to the "bug" to do more. Tomorrow I should finish the largest picture I've ever done. I'll get a photo of it sometime and share it. In a nutshell, I've painted a Batman scene on my 3 1/2 year old nephew's wall. It's at least 10' X 8'. But I'll share that later.

No flash

100_2890.jpg[/img]

With flash

100_2889.jpg[/img]

After I do these, I look back and wonder where some of the design comes from. I think part of the way I drew Wendigo also harkens to some of the creatures in the '70's remake of Island Of Dr. Moreau. Who knows, maybe I'm just blathering. lol Or maybe Shiverbones or Buffyfan can chime in and concur?

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

The Wendigo is definitely the best part of this painting. As with the other painting another great piece. Careful on the foreshortening again with the arms and I'd still like to see you use larger brushes :baiting:

:foryou:

Nice job!

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to pick up my brush since the last time you posted a painting so you're more than twice as prolific as I am at this point. lol

Overall I really like it. The flip flop fade of the sky & the border works nicely & adds to the dimension. It shows you really liked to do the villains, they have more pep to them. Wendigo is my favorite as well, great texture.

The composition is tricky in a piece like this, The center part works really well, with the Lightning causing dramatic angles which play with the Hulk's pose. Maybe if the heads around the edge were bigger, or some were bigger, it would add to some of the drama of the villains. Something about the placement is just a bit too spacious to be threatening enough for the Hulk or to cement the image together as a whole.

The only other thing I would say is to always paint both feet, or it tends to look like you are hiding one on purpose. I understand the need to make it look more 3D, but maybe if the foot was shown forshortened smaller and up on a rock it would still have the same effect.

I think this is a tricker painting to pull off than the Spidey was, and you did a really nice job with it!

Maybe if you feel like doing one with Scarecrow & t batman we can do a painting trade some time... :baiting: