• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, which do you buy, PS3 or Xbox 360?

94 posts in this topic

If you're going to get a PS3, just get the newest one. Don't bother with the older 60GB models. Even though the 60GB model is better for backwards compatibility, the current price of a new one makes it not worth it. And the latest generation ones run cooler.

I found an online store that still has some brand new 60GB models in stock, but they are going for $749.99. At that price, you might as well get the newest one for $400 and if you still want to play PS2 games, buy a slim PS2 also and you'll still save money.

Another thing to think about, Sony is releasing a new 80GB bundle this summer that will include Metal Gear Solid 4 and a second DualShock wireless controller for $499. That's really only worth waiting for if you're a Metal Gear fan, otherwise just pick up the current 80GB model and buy the extra controllers at your leisure since the price difference is not much.

I waffled a lot on this very question but last week picked up the PS3 rather than the 360.

I had no need to worry about backwards compatibility so I got the 40 gig version.

All told the biggest factor for me was spec to $ value. The PS functions as a blu ray and has built in wireless. The wireless alone on the 360 would be an extra c note. Both consoles have exclusives but the only reason I was still debating the 360 was for Halo 3. I can survive without 1 game I'm sure. Looking forward to what they're going to be putting out the rest of this year and next.

This is the first time since 94 that I've taken a Sony product into my house. (that i'm aware of, anyway.)

Blew thru 'Army of Two' over the weekend, fun game but the perspective is irritating and Resident Evil in blu ray looked great. Going to start Elder Scrolls Oblivion tonite I think.

How many games does PS3 actually have out now??

Good ones?: 0

zzz

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction

Unchartered: Drake's Fortune

Unreal Tournament III

Elder Scrolls IV

Call of Duty 4

Devil May Cry 4

Folklore

Motorstorm

Burnout Paradise

Warhawk

Honestly Joe, if none of these are "good" in your eyes, you aren't a gamer, plain and simple. All these titles have for the most part been universally praised by gamers and critics alike and are all worthwhile titles to purchase.

zzz

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction

Unchartered: Drake's Fortune

Unreal Tournament III

Elder Scrolls IV

Call of Duty 4

Devil May Cry 4

Folklore

Motorstorm

Burnout Paradise

Warhawk

Honestly Joe, if none of these are "good" in your eyes, you aren't a gamer, plain and simple. All these titles have for the most part been universally praised by gamers and critics alike and are all worthwhile titles to purchase.

he doesn't like modern games.

just SA games.

lol I love what I consider to be the golden age of gaming and so many great games out at that time but let's be realistic. The PS3 has decent titles, the 360 has decent titles, the Wii has decent titles, hell even the PSP is getting great titles, I'd think we are hitting another plateau for great gaming until congress sticks it's nose where it doesn't belong and regulates titles with any mention of violence or *gasp* nudity.

But they don't have the developer support because the PS3 isn't selling squat compared to other systems. The old Gameboy Advance outsold it in 2007, as did the PS2. lol

No it didn't, the GBA sold just over half of what the PS3 did in 2007. It outsold the PS3 in 2006 but that's fairly obvious why, hell even GameCube outsold it, If you really wanted to deliver some bad news, the PSP outsold the PS3 well over a million units in 07. The PS2 is the biggest selling system available, of course it'll continue to do well with it's massive library and low price and it will likely continue to do so for a few more years.

If you want to get technical, the DS outsold every system including the Wii by a massive margin.

Actually, after reading about all of the hardware problems with the 360, I'm not quite sure why ANYONE would take a chance on the 360. 30%+ failure?!? Even with the "recent" changes, it still sounds like there are issues. Apparently treating their hardware testing like their software testing (it's good enough until SP1) was a dangerous and expensive decision. Yeah, they have a three year warranty, so what? I'm not that desperate to get a system where I have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a dud.

And whomever said they are turning a profit on this, get real. No freaking way with these replacement costs. I believe at a minimum I read that they have suffered over 1.5 billion dollars because of this....to hear the geek replies that the users are mistreating the machines is ludicrous. Poor engineering and testing. Case closed.

These things should work like appliances--turn it on and play. Leave it to MS to make gaming even more difficult than it needs to be. I know these systems are getting more complicated, hence the reason why a better QA testing program would've helped tremendously.

Yeah the Wii may be a slightly ramped Gamecube, but the family and I are enjoying it (yes the entire family)...so that makes it cool in my book!

I've gone through 4 360's in about a year, but I still prefer the Xbox to the PS3.

While it was frustrating, they gave me a couple new games, a new controller, and 4 months of free Xbox live. Overall the downtime added up to about 45 days

I also have a PS3 and enjoy the games quite a bit. Time Crisis 4, Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, Resistance Fall of Man etc. are all VERY good games. Blu-ray support is also nice. Never had even a slight problem with the hardware. Zero crashes or freezes.

Overall I have about 25-30 Xbox 360 games (plus about 15 Xbox MKTplace games) and 7 or 8 PS3 games (With 2 Sony MKTplace games)

Online MKTplace is no contest. Microsoft is about 5 times better, with countless more downloads and expansions, plus HD movies and TV shows. However I am also looking forward to "HOME" and I enjoy a free online experience.

If you can, get both. Both sides have their good and bad. I also expect the PS3 will have big improvements this year with many more solid exclusives.

Honestly Joe, if none of these are "good" in your eyes, you aren't a gamer, plain and simple.

It was a joke post, mostly due to me finding the PS3 sports games rushed and with fewer features than even the PS2 versions. :censored:

I say neither... buy a DS for $100 and change. All you have to do to turn it on or off is flip the lid. No wires, no mess, cheap, fun, you can play it for 20 minutes and put it down.... best solution for an adult that doesn't have days on end to play games anymore.

zzz

GAMESPOT Scores

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 9.0 (Rehash of old Xbox Game)

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction 7.5

Unchartered: Drake's Fortune 8.0

Unreal Tournament III 8.5 (Coming to 360)

Folklore 7.0

Motorstorm 7.9

Warhawk 8.5

(took out the games which are available on 360)

"for the most part been universally praised by gamers and critics alike and are all worthwhile titles to purchase." :screwy:

360 Exclusives

Halo 3 9.5

Gears of War 9.6

Forza 2 9.2

Puzzle Quest 9.0

Bioshock 9.0

Perfect Dark Zero 9.0

Mass Effect 8.5

Not to mention the better rated multiplat games on the 360.

zzz

GAMESPOT Scores

Folklore 7.0

Motorstorm 7.9

Warhawk 8.5

"for the most part been universally praised by gamers and critics alike and are all worthwhile titles to purchase." :screwy:

360 Exclusives

Halo 3 9.5

Gears of War 9.6

Forza 2 9.2

Puzzle Quest 9.0

Bioshock 9.0

Perfect Dark Zero 9.0

Mass Effect 8.5

Ah, so you're one of those guys who lets reviewers tell him what to like. :screwy:

People take the numerical scores WAY too seriously. I read the reviews just to see what the pros and cons are and to make sure that the game isn't "broken" in any way.

Just looking at the above scores makes me laugh. Perfect Dark Zero better than Mass Effect? lol Halo 3 a 9.5? lollollol

zzz

GAMESPOT Scores

Folklore 7.0

Motorstorm 7.9

Warhawk 8.5

360 Exclusives

Halo 3 9.5

Gears of War 9.6

Forza 2 9.2

Puzzle Quest 9.0

Bioshock 9.0

Perfect Dark Zero 9.0

Mass Effect 8.5

Ah, so you're one of those guys who lets reviewers tell him what to like. :screwy:

People take the numerical scores WAY too seriously. I read the reviews just to see what the pros and cons are and to make sure that the game isn't "broken" in any way.

Just looking at the above scores makes me laugh. Perfect Dark Zero better than Mass Effect? lol Halo 3 a 9.5? lollollol

Ditto, scores mean nothing, playing the game however, can say allot.

Speaking of reviews, this guy is hilarious and anybody into games should check out his video reviews. There's a new one every Wednesday.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation

And here's his console rundown;

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1383-Zero-Punctuation-Console-Rundown

zzz

GAMESPOT Scores

Folklore 7.0

Motorstorm 7.9

Warhawk 8.5

360 Exclusives

Halo 3 9.5

Gears of War 9.6

Forza 2 9.2

Puzzle Quest 9.0

Bioshock 9.0

Perfect Dark Zero 9.0

Mass Effect 8.5

Tooshay. Was a member of System Wars board at gamespot before I came here. Still got a little fight in me :P Also, I was proving the point about what michigan said about cricitally acclaimed or something. Showing him his wrong thats all

I say neither... buy a DS for $100 and change. All you have to do to turn it on or off is flip the lid. No wires, no mess, cheap, fun, you can play it for 20 minutes and put it down.... best solution for an adult that doesn't have days on end to play games anymore.

I have more PS2/PS3/360 games than I'll ever be able to finish(100+ easily), and I'm buying more almost weekly. It's a little irrational, but I still prefer consoles to hand-helds. I like checking out the newest games on my HDTV and surround sound and I don't mind having a large game library. You never know when you might be in the mood to play a certain game and I get a kick out of owning a ton of them. And I do feel like I'm getting a heck of a lot more from a $60 game than I would from a $60 pile of new comics.