• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Thor Art by Mark D.....a bit high?

9 posts in this topic

Thor pages on Splashpage

I'm sure Mark Hays was going along with what the artist wanted, Mark is a good guy, but over a grand for a panel page!?!?! If this were regular superheroes in costume that would be one thing, but most of the images seem to be Asgardian related. I think these prices are a bit agressive for a new penciler. Comments?

Hey Guys,

I'll answer this from the horse's mouth :) A lot of factors affect how dealers like myself come up with our pricing for the artists that we represent.

I know that some of you all haven't heard of Marko Djurdjevic before as he's only been illustrating covers for Marvel for a little over a year now. In that first year, Marko drew 82 covers for Marvel, and has become one of Marvel's go to guys for cover work. Thor Iss 7 is Marko's first time to ever draw an entire issue of a comic on full size 11 X 17" comic art boards, and to be inked by another artist.

While Marko may work on some interior assignments down the road, he is essentially a cover artist, and this could be one of two issues to ever be drawn at full size and inked.

Another factor many comic readers don't realize is that while Marko just started drawing comic books, he is a world renowned concept artist from videogame circles. His fanbase from concept art is currently probably still bigger than his comic fanbase.

We've been selling Marko's cover work steadily over the past year, and in many old school collector's minds, it has had two things going against it, smaller non-standard size, and they are not inked. This is the opportunity for someone who prefers inks, and full size art boards to have what they want.

I'm not comparing Marko to Jim Lee, and don't like to compare artists to each other, but remember that Jim has almost 20 years worth of interior pages out there that people can collect if they want a page.

One last minor factor that people also don't think about is that artists who live in other countries are taking it on the chin with the dollar being as low as it is to the Euro right now.

Ultimately I price the art in a range that the specifc artist is comfortable with. Not sure that this helps anyone, but at least you know the whole situation.

Mark Hay

Splash Page Comic Art

www.splashpageart.com

My philosophy has always been - artists can charge whatever they want for their work. After all, it is their blood, sweat and tears. Unfortunately, if its too rich for my blood, I just walk away. Complaining doesn't really do any good!

Malvin