• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Honest to Goodness Ditko Dr. Strange page at auction...

22 posts in this topic

I don't remember the last time a real live Ditko/Ditko Strange Tales Dr. Strange page went up for public auction.....

Clink's gonna auction one...

He's not in costume, but using his powers, and Dormammu and Mordo are on the page....I like it.

C

That is a nice page.

Add a little Clea or maybe some Doc in costume and you've got it all.

As it is not too shabby.

C

I don't remember the last time a real live Ditko/Ditko Strange Tales Dr. Strange page went up for public auction.....

He's not in costume, but using his powers, and Dormammu and Mordo are on the page....I like it.

C

Hi Chris,

That is a sweet page. However, it doesn't look like it was inked by Ditko. I know he had a few associates who often inked some of his work, particularly the Doc Strange work -- do you know anything about this particular issue?

--Steve

It's Ditko inks according to info at comics.org:

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=19108

I think the inks look nice and tight, although I couldn't say whether I think it is Ditko or someone else. It could very well have been a ghost job. The second panel does look a little like Chic Stone to me. (shrug)

Regardless, it's a great page, and I don't think whoever did or didn't ink it will affect the hammer price.

C

Hi Chris,

That is a sweet page. However, it doesn't look like it was inked by Ditko. I know he had a few associates who often inked some of his work, particularly the Doc Strange work -- do you know anything about this particular issue?

--Steve

I don't know much about that particular issue, except for the credits in the book and online. When I saw that close up of Doc's face in panel 2 it seemed to say Ditko to me.

Also, they were never shy about noting when he was inked by someone else in other issues of Strange Tales. But I guess anything is possible.

Chris

The splash page credits Ditko as being the sole artist. Looks like Ditko pencils and inks to me.

Some of the earlier stories had been inked by george Roussos (Geo Bell), but he usually shared credits with Ditko.

I'm not saying the page is diminished or potentially flawed if (and this is a big "IF") someone other than Ditko inked it. I'm just asking.

There are stories and rumors that Ditko had help inking some of his Dr. Strange work (outside of the Bell issues) and it often was uncredited so I am wondering if this might be one of the issues.

To me, this is gorgeous page. But the inks and some of the lines (not all) look a little heavier than a lot of 100% Ditko work I've seen. That's why I'm asking.

--Steve

I'm not saying the page is diminished or potentially flawed if (and this is a big "IF") someone other than Ditko inked it. I'm just asking.

There are stories and rumors that Ditko had help inking some of his Dr. Strange work (outside of the Bell issues) and it often was uncredited so I am wondering if this might be one of the issues.

To me, this is gorgeous page. But the inks and some of the lines (not all) look a little heavier than a lot of 100% Ditko work I've seen. That's why I'm asking.

--Steve

There is the possibility of 'in-house' corrections to consider (for last minute changes by a staff-artist after the finished pages had been delivered) . . . but looks like Ditko pencils and inks to me.

--Steve

There is the possibility of 'in-house' corrections to consider (for last minute changes by a staff-artist after the finished pages had been delivered) . . . but looks like Ditko pencils and inks to me.

In the end it doesn't matter how it looks to me -- Ditko is credited with pencils and inks, and any speculation that he might or might not have been assisted is only that -- speculation. (shrug)

Bottom line: Sweet Page, and a rarity at public auction as Chris originally noted. I'd love to have it! (thumbs u