• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Prize Comics #11

11 posts in this topic

Book is faded with the worst at the left. Slight rust on staples. Book is structurally a 7.0 or so (maybe 7.5) without the fading. Back cover looks great. What say ye?

PrizeComics11.jpg

6.5 sounds right. Is that a tear upper left corner?

Attractive book!

Yup bindery tear. I didn't mention it cause it was obvious and didn't affect the grade.

R.

Attractive book!

gotta agree that the slight rust and fading probably drop it into the fine range. still, another sweet looking old book............. (thumbs u

Attractive book!

gotta agree that the slight rust and fading probably drop it into the fine range. still, another sweet looking old book............. (thumbs u

Actually Harry I think if the fading was not there the book would be a 7.5 even with the rest and surface wear. I know CGC has given 7.5's on books with rusted staples with no or little migration.

I guess the real question is does the fading drop it from 7.5?

R.

I'd have to say 6.5 sounds a little generous with fading and an overtly rusty staple. 6.0 would be tops by my guess, but I'm not sure that I'm getting an accurate representation of the degree of fading.

I actually adjusted the scan to represent the book as best as i could. It's pretty close.

Also, not arguing with you but I do believe that the book is allowed those staples in higher grade. The rust is not "boat anchor like" as one CGC grader put it to me as...but rather more like a surface type rust...just enough that it can't be wiped off.

I'm reminded of the 7.5 in Nik's last two grading contests, the 8.5 Action #1 and an X men #1 8.0 all with rusted staples.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback as I'm here to learn.

:applause:

R.

The rust on the top staple looks like it's affecting the paper. I think that might ding it for more than just rust. Evidently the rust on the Action 1 is very mild and confined to the staple alone.

I have a 1941 book that's lightly faded and otherwise (IMO) 8.0 and I bought it as a CGC 7.0, so I'd imagine yours might suffer a similar fate.

Still a VERY cool book, and not easy to come by.