• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 620... disappointing (possible spoilers)

17 posts in this topic

I picked up Bats 620 last night and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I thought Risso's art was just not the right feel for the book, and I thought Azzarello wrote Batman dialog simply out of step with the character. While there is no doubt that his crime noir style works for 100 bullets... it isn't the same for this book...

I know some of the Azzarello fans (chrisco) may disagree... but to me, this book is not nearly as exciting visually or even storywise as Loeb/Lee's Hush run.

I'll give it some more time, and possibly finish out the run, but this was not a good start.

I didn't like this as much as I thought I would. I thought Risso's art was great, and perfect for the Batman. I liked some aspects of Az's story, such as the "pinch me" bit, but overall, his story really didn't reach out and grab me. Maybe this is all set-up: f'rinstance, who was the kid left standing at the end? How hard would it have been to foreshadow his existance? As it is, he just appears from nowhere to serve as a parallel to young Bruce Wayne.

Maybe we'll start to understand next issue. I know I'll be back!

Let's all lynch chrisco!!! I'll give him an atomic wedgie at the next Tysons...

I've yet to read the book...so this punishment may be prematurely determined

Shazbot !!! That nimnul convinced me to order 20 copies and I'm picking them up tomorrow.... mad.gif

But I'm confident Risso's art won't let me down

For what it's worth, I agree totally...thought the dialog was NOT Batman-esque. I too will continue, but someone needs to read some Bat backissues before they continue writing his conversations

True. To me, the thoughts and words attributed to Batman could have been voiced by the lead in any number of crime stories. I never heard Batman's "voice." Batman has obviously been done in a "hard boiled" detective style successfully, so it's not like this approach should be a stretch.

One of the problems with not getting off to a fast start is that it sets you up for disappointing sales for the next few issues... with the departure of loeb/lee, I'm sure orders were somewhat down... now they'll be down even further. It's not that Risso's art isn't good, it just doesn't meet my feel of the book...

And is this story in continuity... what happened to Killer Croc? This is the only problem that I have with DC and Marvel right now... there doesn't always seem to be consistency... I'm not saying it has to be perfect, but major things should be adhered to within the DCU.

I must agree with some of what you guys say. The art was superb, I won't waiver on that. And I felt it is perfectly styled for Batman. As for Azz, he's capable of better. I think Rob hit the nail on the head. As I was reading it, I didn't "hear" Batman's voice either.

But, on the same token (hey, I gotta defend my boys!) Loeb and Azz are two totally different writers. We had 13 issues of the Hush storyline, and only one so far of the new one. Give it time. Azzarello isn't one of the top writers in the business for nothing.

Also, how many people were really impressed with the first issue of Hush (apart form Lee's artwork)???

Now throw your stones! I can take it! sumo.gif

Chris

My comment about the artwork is completely personal preference... I'm just not a huge fan of this style for this book...

I have to say that I was more intrigued by the Hush storyline initially in the first issue than I am with the first issue of this storyline. And, the fact that Lee's artwork was so exciting was good enough to bring me back.

But you're right Chris... I should give it a chance, and I definitely will. But the first issue just underwhelmed me cause I was expecting more... and I guess when I saw Lee's first issue of Bats, I really felt it delivered. Let's see what happens.

Of course if doesn't, we'll be following Darth's suggestion and giving you and atomic wedgie. Be warned.

I must agree with some of what you guys say. The art was superb, I won't waiver on that. And I felt it is perfectly styled for Batman. As for Azz, he's capable of better. I think Rob hit the nail on the head. As I was reading it, I didn't "hear" Batman's voice either.

But, on the same token (hey, I gotta defend my boys!) Loeb and Azz are two totally different writers. We had 13 issues of the Hush storyline, and only one so far of the new one. Give it time. Azzarello isn't one of the top writers in the business for nothing.

Also, how many people were really impressed with the first issue of Hush (apart form Lee's artwork)???

Now throw your stones! I can take it! sumo.gif

Chris

You should refrase that to say "how many people were really impressed with Hush (apart from Lee's artwork)??? " Loeb really blew it IMO

DAM

Loved the art, willing to go with the story, even forgiving the "new" Killer Croc.

Despite a slow start, it's still waaaaay better than "Hush." It's no secret that I considered Hush a big boring waste of time.

I just read it, and I guess I'm out of touch. I thought it sucked. I thought the story was awful and the art was something my three year old could do. Not nearly as bad as this week's Punisher (which is in the running for the coveted title of Worst Mainstream Marvel Art of the Decade), but still quite bad.

I finally just reda it...and I was dsappointed too. I agree with all th ecomments baove. I found the voice over weird and unconvincing: too Grade B noirish for Batman. The artwork wasnt great either. Except for a few cool Batman in shadows panels and of course the girl in bed falling out of her clothes.... Just not an impressive start at all.

but, we'll see....