• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about FALSE first appearances (ie., Wolverine)

92 posts in this topic

A cameo appearence is a low profile appearence by a famous person. Find me a definition that refutes that.

A cameo appearance as it pertains to comic books has been defined, and is available online for those who want to search for it.

You don't seem to understand that a "cameo appearance" as you define it, pertains to a KNOWN ACTOR/CELEBRITY in the PERFORMING ARTS, none of which is applicable in comic books.

From Wiki:

A cameo role or cameo appearance (often shortened to just cameo) is a brief appearance of a known person in a work of the performing arts, such as plays, films, video games[1] and television. Such a role need not be filled by an actor: short appearances by film directors, politicians, athletes, musicians, and other celebrities are common. These roles are generally small, and most of them non-speaking. The director Alfred Hitchcock enjoyed inserting himself, often as a passive by-stander, in scenes of his films.

In fact, even if you take out the part where the actual celebrity//known person has to actually be performing the role, even the loosest definition of a "cameo appearance" would have to involve a real person, like when the artist draws himself, or insert a President or sports star. It's not a real "cameo appearance", but at least it's close.

Now, a "comic book cameo appearance" is a totally different animal, as it is not part of the performing arts, does not showcase real people, and usually involves totally fictitious creations and characters.

And here's another monkey wrench to be thrown into it. Can you have a cameo of someone NOT YET KNOWN to the general public? Who knew wolverine was going to be anything big when people first saw the last page of Hulk 180?

(For the record... I'm thinking no. :gossip: )

And here's another monkey wrench to be thrown into it. Can you have a cameo of someone NOT YET KNOWN to the general public? Who knew wolverine was going to be anything big when people first saw the last page of Hulk 180?

(For the record... I'm thinking no. :gossip: )

Exactly. It was not a cameo. It was a full appearance that continued in #181. MJ was cameo'd on #42. One panel shot but she was talked about and known about before that.

R.

I prefer conan 24 over 23 for first red sonja.

Except that there's really no argument there. She appears quite a bit in 23 on several pages.

There is no way 24 is the first Red Sonja. First cover appearance, yes.

In regards to Hulk #180 it is no longer considered a cameo, but a brief first appearance. It should have been considered this years ago as the language used in explaining these types of appearances was incorrect. You can't have a cameo appearance of an unknown character.

In regards to Hulk #181 it is no longer considered a cameo, but a brief first appearance. It should have been considered this years ago as the language used in explaining these types of appearances was incorrect. You can't have a cameo appearance of an unknown character.

I SECOND!!!

In regards to Hulk #181 it is no longer considered a cameo, but a brief first appearance. It should have been considered this years ago as the language used in explaining these types of appearances was incorrect. You can't have a cameo appearance of an unknown character.

Thank you.

You can't have a cameo appearance of an unknown character.

You cannot have a cameo appearance of any fictional character, or any character in a comic book. doh!

So maybe we should call it a "guest appearance" then? But really, when Superman appears briefly for a few panels in a Batman story, such an appearance is not all that far removed from, say, the Three Stooges appearing for a few frames of film in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I agree that it's broadening the accepted useage of the word "cameo" slightly, but it still makes sense, especially since we all seem to understand what it means in this context...

No, I think it should accurately portray the appearance, like "One-panel appearance", "Limited Appearance", "Guest Appearance", etc.

Using the performing arts "cameo" term has no place in comics, unless it's for Superman, dressed as a janitor, making a one-panel appearance in Green Lantern.

No, I think it should accurately portray the appearance, like "One-panel appearance", "Limited Appearance", "Guest Appearance", etc.

They should label them "1st Appearance" and "1st Full Appearance". Any other noticeable appearances should just be labeled "Appearance"...

Jim

I agree with this entirely. The goal should be consistency. It's like Amazing Spider-Man 42. This, to me, is the 1st appearance of Mary Jane. Now she's mentioned alot in speech prior to the issue. But in this issue she first appears. BUT she first appears in the last panel. BUT it's one of the greatest panels of all time-- "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot."

She actually does appear in #25 and #38. Her face is hidden with her scarf and waving hand in #25 and you see her from the back in #38.

p.s. "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot." is the greatest panel of all time.

Iron Man 55 first brief Thanos.."Cameo"?....BIG BUCKS!!!

Logans Run#6 First full Thanos.. A whole back up story!!! little itty bitty bucks.

Consistency would be nice.

Iron Man 55 first brief Thanos.."Cameo"?....BIG BUCKS!!!

Logans Run#6 First full Thanos.. A whole back up story!!! little itty bitty bucks.

Consistency would be nice.

Especially since I OWN ABOUT 20 HIGH GRADE ISSUES OF lOGANS RUN 6 :sumo:

Dang it!!! :frustrated:

I am pretty sure this is an accurate listing of Thanos appearances:

Iron Man #55 - Feburary 1973

Captain Marvel #25 - March 1973

Captain Marvel #26 - May 1973

Captain Marvel #27 - July 1973

Captain Marvel #28 - September 1973

Captain Marvel #29 - November 1973

Daredevil #105 - November 1973

Marvel Feature #12 - November 1973

Avengers #118 - December 1973

Captain Marvel #30 - January 1974

Daredevil #107 - January 1974

Captain Marvel #31 - March 1974

Captain Marvel #32 - May 1974

Captain Marvel #33 - July 1974

Avengers #125 - July 1974

Warlock #9 - October 1974

Warlock #10 - December 1974

Warlock #11 - February 1975

Warlock #15 - November 1976

Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2 - 1977

Avengers Annual #7 - 1977

Logan's Run #6 - June 1977

In my opinion, I do not think LR #6 applies to be 1st full appearance.

--Sean who thinks Thanos rocks :headbang: (Sorry, Cal, but not really.)

I am pretty sure this is an accurate listing of Thanos appearances:

Iron Man #55 - Feburary 1973

Captain Marvel #25 - March 1973

Captain Marvel #26 - May 1973

Captain Marvel #27 - July 1973

Captain Marvel #28 - September 1973

Captain Marvel #29 - November 1973

Daredevil #105 - November 1973

Marvel Feature #12 - November 1973

Avengers #118 - December 1973

Captain Marvel #30 - January 1974

Daredevil #107 - January 1974

Captain Marvel #31 - March 1974

Captain Marvel #32 - May 1974

Captain Marvel #33 - July 1974

Avengers #125 - July 1974

Warlock #9 - October 1974

Warlock #10 - December 1974

Warlock #11 - February 1975

Warlock #15 - November 1976

Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2 - 1977

Avengers Annual #7 - 1977

Logan's Run #6 - June 1977

In my opinion, I do not think LR #6 applies to be 1st full appearance.

--Sean who thinks Thanos rocks :headbang: (Sorry, Cal, but not really.)

Thanks!! You are right on your list.

But Overstreet lists Logans Run 6 as first Thanos (shrug)

Exactly. (thumbs u