• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about FALSE first appearances (ie., Wolverine)

92 posts in this topic

I love the cover to Hulk 181, but never, for the life of me, have I been able to understand why it more valuable than 180.

Wolverine first appeared in 180, so why is 181 so much more? I understand 180 might have just been a cameo, but it was his FIRST appearance.

Same thing with Avengers 195 and 196 with Taskmaster.

I hope someone can shed some light about this...

I would imagine it has to do a little with who is showcased on the cover. You see Wolvie on 181 as well as Taskmaster on 196

1) It's a last-panel cameo

2) No cover appearance

3) People used to actually READ comics.

I don't know how to respond to your point #3, but the first two points are lost on me. The character first appeared in issue 180.. albeit a last-panel cameo, that's where he debuted.

I guess it's just one of those things I'll never quite get.

Like others have stated I my self prefer a full cover app over a tiny little nothing shot....

If it makes you feel better think of it is aa first cover app rather than the latter

Nothing is worse than Gambit's first appearance which is called a "cameo" even though he appears for multiple pages.

At least no on is calling Iron Man 55 a cameo appearance of Thanos since he isn't on the cover.

Like others have stated I my self prefer a full cover app over a tiny little nothing shot....

If it makes you feel better think of it is aa first cover app rather than the latter

Yup,

I would much rather own an FF 49 as opposed to a 48

Whatever you want to call Wolverines appearence in the last panel of 180,it doesn't fit the true definition of a cameo.

A cameo appearence is a drop in by an established star or hero.

The simplest thing is to say Hulk 180 and FF 48 are the first appearences of the characters while Hulk 181 and FF 49 are the first stories they are featured in.

Punisher first appears in Spidey 129. Since he is already an established character,his last panel appearence in 134 rightfully is called a cameo. His second full appearence is 135.

It annoys me that people treat the first appearences of Galactus and Wolverine differently,even though they are almost identical. Galactus is said to first appear in FF 48,while Wolvirine gets 181 as his. I'm really not sure which is correct,I just wish they would be consistant

Whatever you want to call Wolverines appearence in the last panel of 180,it doesn't fit the true definition of a cameo.

The simplest thing is to say Hulk 180 and FF 48 are the first appearences of the characters while Hulk 181 and FF 49 are the first stories they are featured in.

Punisher first appears in Spidey 129. Since he is already an established character,his last panel appearence in 134 rightfully is called a cameo. His second full appearence is 135.

It annoys me that people treat the first appearences of Galactus and Wolverine differently,even though they are almost identical. Galactus is said to first appear in FF 48,while Wolvirine gets 181 as his. I'm really not sure which is correct,I just wish they would be consistant

I agree with this entirely. The goal should be consistency. It's like Amazing Spider-Man 42. This, to me, is the 1st appearance of Mary Jane. Now she's mentioned alot in speech prior to the issue. But in this issue she first appears. BUT she first appears in the last panel. BUT it's one of the greatest panels of all time-- "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot."

I have a feeling we'll never see this issue resolved, because regardless how you feel about it, we already have an established "key" based on these appearances. Hulk 181 is established.

I think that's exactly what some people find confusing: some first appearances of characters in ongoing storylines (as opposed to appearances in house ads, etc.) are keys (FF48), and some are not (Hulk 180). I think it's perfectly okay to say that Wolverine's first appearance is in the last panel of Hulk 180 (I mean, he is there)...but that doesn't (and never will) make it the more desirable book...

Uh oh, it looks like ArnoldT is back in the house. doh!

Just for your info Shad, movie cameos and comic book cameos are not synonymous, and there are definitions for each online if you look.

The term "cameo" also has several different definitions and usages apart from these, and is certainly not reserved for movies ONLY.

um, yes but isn't 48 also the first FULL appearance of the Silver Surfer? I think SS is more important than Galactus, especially in the silver age.

A cameo appearence is a low profile appearence by a famous person. Find me a definition that refutes that.

As Wolvies last panel appearence is neither low profile,nor by a famous person it isn't a cameo appearence.

Perhaps the word "cameo"has other meanings,but the phrase 'cameo appearence" means just that.

um, yes but isn't 48 also the first FULL appearance of the Silver Surfer? I think SS is more important than Galactus, especially in the silver age. [/quote

But thats not the point. Galactus appears in one panel,but it's considered his first appearence. Leave Norrin out of this,his appearence is not germaine to the conversation.