• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Marvel Bronze Run?

69 posts in this topic

hey smoking hawk - i love the cramps! Saw them twice!

"'cause I'm a human fly, and I don't know why, I've got 96 tears and 96 eyes..."

Don't ask my how many times I've seen the Cramps. It's way more than twice.

I'd love to chime in on these awful bronze books but I was about 13 at the time many of these came out and my reading sensibilities were not as "refined" as they are now. I actually liked a bunch of that stuff back then. I used to have a full run of Human Fly!

I will take the Night Nurse comics off of your hands. makepoint.gif Howard the Duck was the worst.

How old were you when you read Howard the Duck? How many and which issues did you read?

I read them when they were first coming out. I was 14-15 years old at the time and Howard the Duck was my absolute favorite comic at the time. The first 15 issues by Steve Gerber were very funny and strange. The comic went downhill after Gerber stopped writing the book. The other writers just didn't have a grasp of what to with Howard.

I'll admit, I haven't re-read them since the 70s, so i don't know how well they hold up. I just remember it was a great comic to me at the time. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I don't remember Foolkiller having his own book.

I think it was a late 1980's mini series, it sucked

I'll add Black Goliath to the list

dave h

If we are going with titles from the 80s who could dispute Sonic Disruptors, a maxi-series so bad it didn't even finish its limited run. Thriller was another.And I will admit I thought Alan Moores early Swamp Thing sucked. Took several issues for me to get with the program. If it wasn't for the art I would have stopped reading it after two issues.I owned a store at the time and read every book that came in and I will gladly admit I thought Swamp Thing was a poor imitation of what Gerber tried with Man-thing.

Just like clockwork (and likely because all the GOOD comics were gone), my parents would buy me a few comics a week, and they'd be all Kirby drek, like Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, 2001, Black Panther, Machine Man, Captain America, etc.

Well, I was going to defend the first part of Kirby's run on Cap (the Mad Bomb arc from 193-200), but then I remembered I stopped collecting Cap with 200 and stopped comics altogether for 25 years.

Methinks I shouldn't re-read those issues....

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Well, I was going to defend the first part of Kirby's run on Cap (the Mad Bomb arc from 193-200)

Yeah, as much as I hated that Mad Bomb, Night People, Rollerball, Hitler's Brain, etc. crapola, all I could do was shake my head and wonder what happened. You see, I bought Marvel's Greatest reprints all the time, and one of my favorite stories was the Blastaar/Sandman one from FF 61-63.

I used to open those FF reprints, compare them to the Captain America, and think "the guy who drew THIS, drew THAT??!!"

The problem with Kirby is that when he got a book to run with by himself, he never wrote a good -script. His dialogue and characterization was so one dimentional

it just never hit home. His ideas on the New Gods stuff were fantastic but the scripts were often silly and way too cliche heavy.

Then he started to slip with his ideas as he got into his final years with Marvel -- 2001, Devil D etc --- that was the end of carrer in mainstream books. It's a shame, because he really was the King of comics (well -- comic art, anyway).

This is one of my deepest comic confessions--I love the '76-'77 Kirby Cap run. Even at the time I was aware of just how freakin' bizarre it was and, while it didn't compare with his SA or even his 70's DC work, I just thought it was too cool, especially the Mad Bomb storyline.

As for my vote for worst: Human Fly. I could read almost anything at that time and at least tolerate it. This was just the worst. To this day, I don't think I have ever owned a single issue. Ugggh.

the 70's kirby caps are some of my favorites too, but because it is a freakshow of a book. The issue where cap's eyes get clawed up by a wacked-out beast is just tooo much! Arnim zola....hitler's brain, red skull... and ASSSSS ugly art all combine into one of the least mainstream mainstream books i have ever seen. YEEESH!