• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nightmare Story about First Cover pickup

11 posts in this topic

I thought I'd share a nightmare story with you about my first cover purchase. I bought this Ant #3 Cover from the artist, Mario Gully, at Megacon in Orlando. We spoke for about an hour (real cool guy) and he gave me a great deal on this cover, which boasts a beautiful spawn pic. Gully told me that he is one of two artists that McFarlane has allowed to draw Spwan other than himself.

Anyways, Gully was real sad to let this piece go and I promised him I would not re-sell it and once framed I would send him a pic. I took the cover (with a signed Ant 3 by Gully) to a new frame shop near my house. They laid the cover out on a table so that a camera on the ceiling above could take a picture for measuring purposes. Unfortuneately, I did not know at the time that an air-conditioning vent was right next to the camera. As it was laying there, water dripped from the vent onto the cover (hence the ink run towards the top). We were all stunned. The framing guy was freaking out. They picked up the framing costs and paid me what I had paid for the artwork, but I feel horrible.

Any words of advice as to how I break this to Gully?

070.jpg

That's a tough situation, but I'm sure he'll understand.

Just next time, I'd go to a different framing shop. That kind of mistake is inexcusable. What if it had been a much more expensive piece? Even if they reimbursed you your money, that "one of a kind" piece of art would be scarred forever.

They paid for the frame AND the cost of the art?

That's more than you're going to get from most businesses these days.

When I get a piece framed, I won't even leave the piece with them until they are ready to put it in. Most places will only cover you for loss or damage to your artwork for a fraction of what it's worth.

And for what it's worth - I'm pretty sure a lot more than two artists have been allowed to draw Spawn. (Angel Medina and Ashley Wood come to mind immediately.) Maybe he meant he's only one of two artists who Todd has let draw Spawn in their comic?

They paid for the frame AND the cost of the art?

That's more than you're going to get from most businesses these days.

When I get a piece framed, I won't even leave the piece with them until they are ready to put it in. Most places will only cover you for loss or damage to your artwork for a fraction of what it's worth.

And for what it's worth - I'm pretty sure a lot more than two artists have been allowed to draw Spawn. (Angel Medina and Ashley Wood come to mind immediately.) Maybe he meant he's only one of two artists who Todd has let draw Spawn in their comic?

You are right. That is what he meant. I was surprised they didnt put up a fight over the cost of what I paid for the artwork.

Since the piece was basicly free at this point send a pic to a Paper restoration company. If they can fix it use the money from the art to have the piece repaired/restored.

Since the piece was basicly free at this point send a pic to a Paper restoration company. If they can fix it use the money from the art to have the piece repaired/restored.

I will do that. Does anyone know the name/contact info for a paper restoration company that may be able to remove the bleeding ink?

That is a rough story but there are ways to fix it. Either take it to a paper restorer, or give it back to the artist and he can paint in some opaque white over the clouded area. Whoever does the white out, it will look acceptable and will add to the history of the artwork.

therestorationlab.com near Boston has been very good to deal with. The woman there used to restore artwork at the Louvre, and has been doing comics for decades. Impeccable credentials, and a very friendly person. Tell her "Mike with the forged AF15 cover" sent you.

therestorationlab.com near Boston has been very good to deal with. The woman there used to restore artwork at the Louvre, and has been doing comics for decades. Impeccable credentials, and a very friendly person. Tell her "Mike with the forged AF15 cover" sent you.

I will do that - thanks Mike

Its horrible when art is damaged like that but it could have been much worse. I've had art lost in shipment insurance paid the bill but its gone forever. You got them to pick up the tab and got art for free and they framed it !