• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT #1

90 posts in this topic

The words “second printing/ June 1984" would give it away a little. I think it might have been in a bit better condition if it had not been posted to me in an open Mylar sleeve inside a padded envelope. When I opened the parcel the book was half way out of the sleeve. This look right for inside cover?

img310a.jpg

The words “second printing/ June 1984" would give it away a little.

You would think so, but sometimes people miss those "little" details. :insane:

As far as the scan posted below, I say (thumbs u

I will say though, that a common forgery trick is to take 2nd printings and to bleach out the printing information so that the front inside cover looks like a 1st printing.

But if you have the ad for the Gobbledygooks on the back cover then you should be fine.

I own three TMNT #1 First Prints now, which I am pretty proud of. Ninja Turtles was the first superhero characters I got into as a little kid. I'd like to get a full run of the title because it seems like an overall high quality book.

Anyone have any reviews as to the quality of the series?

I bought a VF copy of a 2nd print #1, which I just had to read before getting it signed by Kevin Eastman. I rather enjoyed the first issue of the series and it was just great getting to actually read the book that started it all for the TMNT.

Plus, it's extra geeky for me since my name is Raphael

Anyone have any reviews as to the quality of the series?

I posted this a while back but I think it helps

If you ever decide to do a run, you gotta make it issues 1-11, plus the 4 micro-issues. Those 15 issues really sum up what the TMNT are all about, and feature some great art/stories by the masters themselves, Eastman & Laird. This was the time before they blew up into pop culture, with their Saturday morning smash and ensuing toyline. Back when they were all red, drank beer, and cursed every now and again. Back when they didn't mind gutting somebody and getting a little bloody theirselves. After this, roughly '87, they basically handed the reins off to other artists to try their hand at TMNT stories, though they still had alot of input into the stories (they had to focus on the toyline, cartoon, movie, etc.). The Return to New York storyline in issues 19-21 was a great storyline as well. And the last 11 issues of Volume 1 (called CIty at War), which lasted from issues #50-61, was another good story, and featured for the last time, Kevin & Pete drawing and inking together. Overall all of volume 1 is very good, and with it only lasting 61 issues, would be an easy, affordable run to make. Featuring story and art by a variety of artists including Steve Bissete, Zulli, and many more its definately a good read.

That's a pretty good review...

I should just add that the current series is also really kick-... Laird's doing it, but it's kind of on hiatus now and only coming out 3-ish times a year and sold straight from the website. Free downloads from wowio, however... and the Tales series comes out right on time and is GREAT with a couple of hit-and-miss issues every now and then.

Overall, the quality of the current series (and Tales) is much higher than the entirety of volume 1. :)

I agree the current volume is pretty good but I don't think I'd go so far as to say thats it surpasses volume 1 in quailty. I guess it really depends on your feeling on the artwork as the current volume is drawn strictly by Jim Lawson, whereas volume 1 not only featured Eastman and Laird, but other fantantasic artists as well. I like Lawson's work, but I like others more so I'd give the nod to Volume 1.

As far as "Tales of the TMNT" goes, I LOVE it. Great stories, great art, and it comes out monthly. The perfect combination!!

Link for the website?

Here's where to buy the books from Mirage

Where to buy the books

Where you can download for free (after account setup)

wowio

you're definitely right about the quality and depth (breadth?) of the artists represented in Vol. 1... While I am a fan of Lawson's (and he was SUPER nice when I met him at HeroesCon this year), it's the fact that the current volume has that singular vision for the story... I like that Laird has put the book on hold until HE can get it out!

PeterLairdTurtleHeadThumb.jpg

Yea, Lawson is a super cool guy to meet and talk to (met him at NYCC). And you're right that it is kinda neat that the entire volume 4 has had a singular vision (though that vision has been a bit cooky at times)

6.5s and 7.0s can be had around $750 or so. Nothing lower grade than that has sold has sold in a long time. 7.5 are in the $850 or so range (though there was a crazy high sale of $1250 from a Best offer recently).

A number of ungraded books have sold in the $500-$600 range but you have be certain you're getting a 1st print.

Wow! I hadn't realized this book was already at that price level :o Is this a new trend or have they been rising slow and steady? My guess is at this rate, I'll probably want to pursue one at the lower end of mid grade to plain ol' low grade (as befits my collecting MO ;) )

Yea, they've been steadily rising over the last few years. You're best best is probaby to try to land a nice 6.0 or so. With the all black front/back covers, when you get less than that, they for the most part don't present as well. Good luck!

I see there's a new 9.4 W up on the clink with a bid straight in at $4,750 on an asking of $5,400.

But with 20 9.4's out there, is this a sustainable price level???

Doubt it. The last CLink auction had a 9.4 W sell for $3950, and it only sold that high cuz I bid it up that high ( I had considered not even bidding).

That book you're talking about orginally had a $6000 price tag on it. He must have recently dropped the price. I'm betting he might be wishing he had accepted the $4700.

I see there's a new 9.4 W up on the clink with a bid straight in at $4,750 on an asking of $5,400.

Doubt it. The last CLink auction had a 9.4 W sell for $3950, and it only sold that high cuz I bid it up that high ( I had considered not even bidding).

That book you're talking about orginally had a $6000 price tag on it. He must have recently dropped the price. I'm betting he might be wishing he had accepted the $4700.

Or worse still, he had a freind shill bid it, next bid is a keeper doh!

Thats a big difference between $3950, and $4700... heck, in the $3,000-3,500 bracket I'd jump a W pager.

Thats a big difference between $3950, and $4700... heck, in the $3,000-3,500 bracket I'd jump a W pager.

Exactly. Thats the range I was hoping for and in last second bidding I figured what the heck, and bid it up a bit. But yea, after that sale, I don't really see how someone would willinginly pay $4800+ for the book. But I guess you never know.

Exactly. Thats the range I was hoping for and in last second bidding I figured what the heck, and bid it up a bit. But yea, after that sale, I don't really see how someone would willinginly pay $4800+ for the book. But I guess you never know.

There's always someone who comes along with no pricing info and pays a silly rpice for a book, and we're all left wondering.

We see it happening all the time.

But with 20 9.4's out there, it's not like the seller can rely on one of those random buyers to popple along. There'll be another 9.4 or two up for sale long before he gets his inflated asking price.

But if the guy is stubborn, well there's little we can can do then.