• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT #1

90 posts in this topic

I was looking through the registry just before, and strayed across the TMNT titles. Looking at the top registry set, the guy had a 9.6 white pages sitting in the #1 slot. So I thought, lets have a look at the census numbers here.

And boy what I saw surprised me. Not the 5 copies sitting in 9.6, but the overall count of 206 books slabbed.

For a book that supposedly had a 300 print run, hitting a 60% slabbing rate is just crazy. The odd's of those 300 books distributed across the world almost 3 decades ago, making it in some shape, belonging to collectors who know of, and participate in CGC is just astounding.

My immediate reaction is, is there a really good counterfeit issue produced back in the day, that CGC isn't picking up on. Or as a rule, these books were bought by the most annal of collectors.

Really, 207 (I have a copy) known out of the 300....and that's slabbed copies people.

It just seems to baffle belief.

Man, I'd love to snag one of those 9.6 #1's but unfortunately I don't have a spare 12K sitting around for it :tonofbricks:

But I am looking to upgrade to a 9.0 soon...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=24285

:baiting:

:cloud9:

You're right, you're right.... I need to get back on focus

It's the #1 that hits the roof price wise, and I've always gone for the combo, love, read the books, and get a bit of the art. They are mutuals.

Plus you can pick up #2 up for ok money even for 9.6's.

Live it all.

Man, I'd love to snag one of those 9.6 #1's but unfortunately I don't have a spare 12K sitting around for it :tonofbricks:

But I am looking to upgrade to a 9.0 soon...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=24285

:baiting:

:cloud9:

You're right, you're right.... I need to get back on focus

It's the #1 that hits the roof price wise, and I've always gone for the combo, love, read the books, and get a bit of the art. They are mutuals.

Plus you can pick up #2 up for ok money even for 9.6's.

Live it all.

Well, as you can see by my art collection, I think along the same lines as you. (thumbs u

And without a doubt its the #1 that hits the roof, mainly in that higher grade. Once you hit 9.0, things really start to take off, going from roughly 2k, to around 4k for 9.4, to above 10k for the 9.6 (and those prices are all on good days)

Issues #2 and below can all be had for a mere fraction of those numbers, even in 9.8. (though finding those books in 9.8 can be a bit challenging).

you sold a 9.8 #3 for $1k? Good on you, I would sell in a heartbeat at that price. Double cover or no that's a relatively easy book to find in high grade

I think that price is pretty insane also, but those double cover collectors can get pretty :screwy: (a 9.0 sold in January for $90)

But I've seen crazier things such as the variant #3 in 9.0 sell for $999, then a month later a 9.4 sells for $600, followed by a 9.2 selling for $400, all of this within the first 3 months of this year...

Still a very cool book though

I see it this way, if the highest graded is 9.8, then a double cover (both 9.8) would be the best example of the 1st print of the highest graded copy of the biggest independent title of all time's 3rd issue (even with 50,000 copies printed).

Works for me! (thumbs u

you sold a 9.8 #3 for $1k? Good on you, I would sell in a heartbeat at that price. Double cover or no that's a relatively easy book to find in high grade

I think that price is pretty insane also, but those double cover collectors can get pretty :screwy: (a 9.0 sold in January for $90)

But I've seen crazier things such as the variant #3 in 9.0 sell for $999, then a month later a 9.4 sells for $600, followed by a 9.2 selling for $400, all of this within the first 3 months of this year...

I am not a fan of that variant... I used to own one and it looks like . I think its more of a printer error than a legit variant. Frankly it looks much inferior to the regular #3

I am not a fan of that variant... I used to own one and it looks like . I think its more of a printer error than a legit variant. Frankly it looks much inferior to the regular #3

I kinda agree with that, what with all the blue toning that dropped out during that advance printing...I'd still like to snag a copy though, for completeness sake!

I was talking to someone recently about "comic investments" and how we typically don't "get it." lol Sure enough though, we did talk about which titles we felt were really going to take off a few years/decades from now and TMNT was top of the list for the Copper Age books.

I'm always amused when I tell people how the Turtles originated from a comic book--they usually just remember the Saturday morning cartoon and thought the Archie comics came from that. Mirage what?-) Considering how thoroughly TMNT has permeated our culture, I can't help but see interest in this rising.

I have a 3rd printing of the #1, and 2nd printing of the #2 issue. As with all keys, I'll just be happy to pick up a low-to-mid grade copy of #1 down the road. Perhaps I'll pursue a run (even if it's just a short run, i.e. 1-10) of this title, but we'll see how my nostalgia factor is doing :grin:

I was talking to someone recently about "comic investments" and how we typically don't "get it." lol Sure enough though, we did talk about which titles we felt were really going to take off a few years/decades from now and TMNT was top of the list for the Copper Age books.

I'm always amused when I tell people how the Turtles originated from a comic book--they usually just remember the Saturday morning cartoon and thought the Archie comics came from that. Mirage what?-) Considering how thoroughly TMNT has permeated our culture, I can't help but see interest in this rising.

I have a 3rd printing of the #1, and 2nd printing of the #2 issue. As with all keys, I'll just be happy to pick up a low-to-mid grade copy of #1 down the road. Perhaps I'll pursue a run (even if it's just a short run, i.e. 1-10) of this title, but we'll see how my nostalgia factor is doing :grin:

I definately agree with all that you just said (though I may be a bit biased :insane:)

If you ever decide to do a run, you gotta make it issues 1-11, plus the 4 micro-issues. Those 15 issues really sum up what the TMNT are all about, and feature some great art/stories by the masters themselves, Eastman & Laird. This was the time before they blew up into pop culture, with their Saturday morning smash and ensuing toyline. Back when they were all red, drank beer, and cursed every now and again. Back when they didn't mind gutting somebody and getting a little bloody theirselves. After this, roughly '87, they basically handed the reins off to other artists to try their hand at TMNT stories, though they still had alot of input into the stories. The Return to New York storyline in issues 19-21 was a great storyline as well. And the last 11 issues of Volume 1 (called CIty at War), which lasted from issues #50-61, was another good story, and featured for the last time, Kevin & Pete drawing and inking together. Overall all of volume 1 is very good, and with it only lasting 61 issues, would be an easy, affordable run to make.