• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

golden age reprints

18 posts in this topic

Hi ,

I research reprints of golden age stories with the timely super heroes .

I dont 't want stories with Namor , Human Torch or Captain America.

I know marvel masterworks golden age , the marvel TPB golden age vol 1 and 2 , marvel super -heroes (1974).

Do you see another comics ?

Thank you and sorry for my english .

There was a long run of reprints...can't remember the name of the publisher (Allen Light or something like that) but apparantly they were well done. Just do a search on Ebay.com using the word "reprint" and look in the Golden age section. There are tons for sale. Also, some publishers reprinted earlier works during the 40's and 50's and it is cheaper to find the reprints than the originals.

R.

There was a long run of reprints...can't remember the name of the publisher (Allen Light or something like that) but apparantly they were well done. Just do a search on Ebay.com using the word "reprint" and look in the Golden age section. There are tons for sale. Also, some publishers reprinted earlier works during the 40's and 50's and it is cheaper to find the reprints than the originals.

R.

IIRC, the Alan Light reprints did not cover Timely books? Also, weren't they only in B&W? Not much help I am, ain't I?

Marvel Superheroes also had Golden Age Timely reprints. Can't remember whether it was just the Big 3. Giant Size Master of Kung Fu reprinted some the 1950's Yellow Claw stories.

R.

IIRC, the Alan Light reprints did not cover Timely books? Also, weren't they only in B&W? Not much help I am, ain't I?

I had a MARVEL MYSTERY #4 Alan Light reprint. Every one I've ever seen had a black and white interior, and looked like a xerox.

R.

I had a MARVEL MYSTERY #4 Alan Light reprint. Every one I've ever seen had a black and white interior, and looked like a xerox.

Yes, they most definitely did include the Timely books! (thumbs u

They were called the Flashback books and I just checked my pile of 6 books and they are all Timely books in HG condition.

Let's see now....I've got a Subby #1, Torch #1 & #5, Cap #2, Marvel Mystery #4, and a Young Allies #1. They all have the full colour covers except for the Torch #5 which is in B&W.

No idea as to their value since this is one of the very few reprint series that OS does not bother to list in his price guide. No idea why OS would not have these listed? (shrug)

Similarly, I also have some cardboard cover books reprinting some of the very earliest Barks Donald Duck stories. No idea who the publisher is on this one, although I just love books with cardboard covers. They always remind me of the early books from the 30's.

Again, no idea on the value of these books although they must be way tougher than the Alan Light books which you do tend to see in the marketplace.

Thank you Metarog and Lou Fine .

But these stories are with the Big Three .

I research stories with the other Timely super heroes.

What is OS ?

He is referring to The Overstreet Price Guide, I believe.

There are also reprints of All Winners 1, All Select 1 and USA 1. Nice to have all 32 reprint editions if you can find them (the last ad I had from 1974 listed that number). The Timely issues sell better than the others. I have seen them go for 20-40 dollars. They also made a 200+ page special edition with the Black Condor and a Captain Marvel Special Edition from Whiz. The Black Condor edition had one color story in the interior and 16 or so black and white stories. Still xerox quality or photo offset.

bb

I saw that one of the links listed 38 flashback editions and 3 special editions. He must have added a few more after 1974.

I won a batch of 16 of these from Heritage a while back, including :

Silver Streak Comics #1, Uncle Sam Quarterly #1, Police Comics #1, Plastic Man #1, Plastic Man #2, Pep Comics #1, Pep Comics #17, Special Comics #1, Air Fighters Comics #2, Doll Man Quarterly #1, Daredevil Battles Hitler #1, Military Comics #1, Blackhawk #9, Hit Comics #1, Silver Streak Comics #6, U.S.A. Comics #1.