• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes the Ebay Auction format can produce....

21 posts in this topic

Chris,

Data can be interpreted many different ways. We do indeed only see 2 bidders s*o & apple bidding above $6,788. However, who is to say that there weren't 50 people with snipes set at $6,500 but whose bids were rejected as too low because of s*o's bid? I'm not saying they were there, but that we don't for sure that no one else aside from those 2 guys were willing to pay 6.5K plus.

Malvin

Chris,

Data can be interpreted many different ways. We do indeed only see 2 bidders s*o & apple bidding above $6,788. However, who is to say that there weren't 50 people with snipes set at $6,500 but whose bids were rejected as too low because of s*o's bid? I'm not saying they were there, but that we don't for sure that no one else aside from those 2 guys were willing to pay 6.5K plus.

Malvin

I guess that's possible, unlikely, but possible.

It would have been more possible had this been, say 1996.

I have not seen a Linsner piece go for this much...or anywhere near this much that I can remember. Although this piece is exceptional.

C

...insane results. :o

It was only 3 guys who went goofy for the piece and only two that were truly deranged and in love with it....but still

C

Winner is Mark McDermott. Odds are it will show up on his website within a few months with an even crazier price tag. Or designated "Trade Only". Either way, more power to him!

I don't think there really are insane prices on original art, since every piece is one of a kind. If you see a piece you really like up for auction, you have to assume you'll never be able to buy it again. Not every purchase is resold trying to make more money.

Not like comics themselves, in which there will always be other auctions.

If that can pull almost $7K..I'd have to say just about any mid '90's Dawn cover would be $10K+....and any Cry For Dawn cover would be $15K+. Move over Alex Ross,Jim Lee,Todd McFarlane...there's another modern artist joining your ranks now that Joe Linsner is starting to open up his vaults!!

I don't think there really are insane prices on original art, since every piece is one of a kind. If you see a piece you really like up for auction, you have to assume you'll never be able to buy it again. Not every purchase is resold trying to make more money.

Comic art has a market, artists who produce more than one piece have their own market. When several pieces sell at a certain level over the course of 18-24 months and then a piece sells for 3-4 times that...it will raise an eyebrow.

Combine that with the fact that Joe Linsner has opened the vaults in the last two years and sold dozens upon dozens of top notch pieces to the point of nearly flooding the market, a sale like this raises even more eyebrows.

C

Comic art has a market, artists who produce more than one piece have their own market. When several pieces sell at a certain level over the course of 18-24 months and then a piece sells for 3-4 times that...it will raise an eyebrow.

Combine that with the fact that Joe Linsner has opened the vaults in the last two years and sold dozens upon dozens of top notch pieces to the point of nearly flooding the market, a sale like this raises even more eyebrows.

C

There is alot of Linsner stuff out there,but from what I have seen,it's a ton of commissions and off the wall type stuff. To me his prime stuff is 1990-1995. I don't recall ever seeing any published Dawn art from that time period on the market.He did so little "published" stuff in the '90's,that there isn't a whole lot to begin with. I could be wrong though about none of that stuff being on the market.I haven't heard of any reports on any of that stuff changing hands. Have you or do you know? thanks! Joey

C

There is alot of Linsner stuff out there,but from what I have seen,it's a ton of commissions and off the wall type stuff. To me his prime stuff is 1990-1995. I don't recall ever seeing any published Dawn art from that time period on the market.He did so little "published" stuff in the '90's,that there isn't a whole lot to begin with. I could be wrong though about none of that stuff being on the market.I haven't heard of any reports on any of that stuff changing hands. Have you or do you know? thanks! Joey

The wall pieces...painted commissions...stuff like that has come out of the woodwork lately. Prices have leveled and lowered a bunch from when people first started trading them.

I have not seen a cover from his original Cry For Dawn series for sale, but I have seen his published litho piece, and some of the covers he did for other titles. There was a period of time there in the mid 90's when he was doing a ton of good girl/bad girl covers for other titles.

Linsner was one of the few guys that created commission paintings, and litho paintings, and calendar painting as nice as his painted covers.

C

The eyes are just horribly drawn..... There goes the big bucks on that OA for sure...

Maybe thats how she really looks.

I never looked at her eyes before !

Me either. But now that it has been mentioned I can't stop. Thanks for ruining that piece for me :baiting:

But I would like to say this about JML. He sure can manipulate a pencil and I admire him for switching over to photoshop. :golfclap: Nowadays that piece would ussually be broken down into three sections (forground, background,skulls) and 'shopped together.