• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how much does overspray bother you on a high grade slab?

So how much does oversray bother you on a high grade slab in 9.4 or greater shape?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. So how much does oversray bother you on a high grade slab in 9.4 or greater shape?

28 posts in this topic

I just bought some really nice late 70's Batman comics in CGC 9.8 and they all look great but I noticed one of them had a small trace of red spray paint dots on the back cover. Now I know this is considered a manufacturing defect, and therefore it still qualifies as a 9.8, but it is still weird seeing spray paint on the back of a supposedly perfect comic.

So how much does oversray bother you on a high grade slab in 9.4 or greater?

It depends on how heavy it is. If really pronounced, it would bug me. If minor, it is no big deal. [/quote

mine was very light and small, a grouping of tiny red dots about the size of a dime on the back cover. the weird thing is I cannot even see red paint on the side of he comic. almost like the paint came from the spraying of another comic beside it ??

do you think the fact it was on the BACK cover instead of the front is the reason it still got a 9.8? Does CGC judge overspray more harshly if it is on the front rather than back cover?

Over spray in my opinion should not be on a 9.8 book. My opinion differs from CGC on this

and some other things (a reason why during the grading contest I didn't grade higher), but

that's alright.

There are a few issues that are famous for over-spray. If it is on the back, and it's not too bad as

to bother me then I can generally get a good price on the book. On the front it would bother me

more.

A hell of a lot especially on white covers.

Your right, I have to get rid of this POS

asm4194001.jpg

Looks more like blood from prying it from the hands of the previous owner hm

It looks distracting but not as much as some of the I see selling with the top half of the book all purple or ripped off thats passed off as a manufacturing issue rather that too ugly to sell.

I don't mind it so much, particularly if the colour is unobtrusive to the cover colours. Though the back page degree of leeching is always checked.

But it's completely untenable on 9.6 and above books, regardless.

On a 9.2 or below, as long as it's unobtrusive...

On a 9.4, I'm conflicted and probably wouldn't buy it.

On a 9.6, 9.8+, there is no freaking way that any overspray should be on these issues.

If I may appear strangely ill-informed for someone who's collected comics on and off since the early 80s... what exactly is the reason for the spray paint? I've never actually known exactly what it's for :blush:

Distribution code.

If I may appear strangely ill-informed for someone who's collected comics on and off since the early 80s... what exactly is the reason for the spray paint? I've never actually known exactly what it's for :blush:

Distribution code.

OK... but... I need more!

What is it? Spray this pile red for the East coast, spray that pile green so we know they're for Canada...

Something like that? (shrug)

Distribution code.

OK... but... I need more!

What is it? Spray this pile red for the East coast, spray that pile green so we know they're for Canada...

Something like that? (shrug)

You want more????:o

Seriously, that's about it. Colours meant sections of the U.S. and Canada. Not sure, but sometimes the spray would mean that the book was a return. The spray (as you know) was pretty haphazardly done, and on certain books (most noticeably the 1971 25 cent giants) the spray would go down the entire spine and be way too intrusive.

At some point in the early to mid '80s some whiz at the printers decided to print on the colour code on the page edge, thus eliminating any more defaced books like that ASM 41. :P