• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*spoon* UPS...

61 posts in this topic

Bought my first Church comic recently and it arrived today! Opened up the package delivered by UPS and this is what I found:

westerncomics7.jpg

One crack on the front, two large cracks on the back, and a crack on the bottom right of the slab. The impact point is half way down the slab on the right side. The side of the slab was completely broken, dislodged and twisted halfway up the side. After reseating it I noticed a crease on the inner well as well...

The box looks like something heavy was placed on top and there's a tear that goes from the side to halfway across the back.

To say I'm pissed is an understatement. I've contacted the seller to see what can be done. It was insured...

Jim

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but UPS normally holds senders to their packing standards before paying a claim on damage.

If you've never read the UPS packing standards, you should. Brief summary (from memory so don't eviscerate me if I am not quire right): 1" of a solid packing material on all sides - packing peanuts or air bags don't count. Must be able to survive a 4 foot drop.

I had something shipped to me by UPS in the thickest, stiffest mailing tube I had ever seen. But there was only an end-cap in one side. The side without the end-cap was crushed and the rules state all mailing tubes have to have two endcaps. The shipper could not get through a damage claim.

And, of course, I hope I am wrong and you can nail them for every penny they ever made.... :grin:

The only time you can get UPS to pay up on a claim is when the sender is a HUGE client, and spends lots of $$$. Then it's no problem, but personal shipments are impossible.

On that note, does UPS even insure personal packages? Or is it DHL that stopped?

We ship UPS every day. The seller has to file a claim. If the seller decides to have the product shipped back to him, he must keep it at least 10 days for UPS to come and inspect. If the seller tells you to hold on to the item and files a claim, you have to hold on to the item for 10 days. I know UPS usually doesnt come to inspect if the items are under $100.00. They usually just pay the seller. If the item is worth more than $100 (in which i think in this case it is) UPS will come to inspect. They will come to your house to inspect it or if you mailed it back to the seller they will go there to inspect.

Jeff

me!! :o I'd be way pissed off, too! Pursue the insurance, the worst thing UPS can say is no. Long ago when I was in college, I took a seasonal job with USPS handling packages. It is :screwy: at how those packages get tossed! Your package has to be able to withstand anywhere from 4 to 7 feet of being dropped and tossed. I've heard other horror stories about UPS.

Best of luck to you (thumbs u

We ship UPS every day. The seller has to file a claim. If the seller decides to have the product shipped back to him, he must keep it at least 10 days for UPS to come and inspect. If the seller tells you to hold on to the item and files a claim, you have to hold on to the item for 10 days. I know UPS usually doesnt come to inspect if the items are under $100.00. They usually just pay the seller. If the item is worth more than $100 (in which i think in this case it is) UPS will come to inspect. They will come to your house to inspect it or if you mailed it back to the seller they will go there to inspect.

I guess I need to keep all packing materials?

Jim

I recently shipped a large Gigantor figure via ups, very well padded & protected...it was received in apparently *speared* condition, with holes on either side of the box. Poor T28 had one arm ripped completely off.

Fortunately it wasn't particularly valuable, and the buyer was cool about it and was able to pop the arm back in. Thank god it wasn't the AF15 I had recently sent out...

I recently shipped a large Gigantor figure via ups, very well padded & protected...it was received in apparently *speared* condition, with holes on either side of the box. Poor T28 had one arm ripped completely off.

Fortunately it wasn't particularly valuable, and the buyer was cool about it and was able to pop the arm back in. Thank god it wasn't the AF15 I had recently sent out...

Gigantor. :cloud9: Now I'm gonna have that song in my head all day.

Bigger then big

Stronger than strong.

That sucks Jim. What is your opinion on the books current grade now?

Don't know...will have to get it out of the slab to know for sure. The right edge of the comic was "snaked" before I reset the slab. Wouldn't surprise me if it was damaged there...

Jim