• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frontrunning on comiclink?

38 posts in this topic

Either way, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with it. If a seller lists a book for $300 and Josh wants to buy it for $300 who cares?

Maybe because you're competing against the owners of the site after it's publicly listed? We yell about Heritage doing it all the time. If they want to do so, that's fine but set up a system that allows them first dibs before it shows up publicly...

Jim

my experience has been that nobody at comiclink even looks at the site unless someone asks a question, so no, I dont think Josh or any of the other guys are grabbing listings out from under their customers.

I think people are going suspect that ComicLink snags books from under their customers until they start placing a "sale pending" on the listing when somebody pops for the BIN price. The way it works now is that you have no idea if you got the book or if somebody else popped for the BIN price too. I've heard the explanation that the seller has to confirm the sale before it's listed as "sale pending." But that's no reason why buyers should be kept in the dark. So maybe there's another reason it works that way.

Go hit the BIN on a book listed a year or two ago that's still on the site. Odds are it's already been sold, and thus the reason for the seller to verify it.

On the flip side, you could always bid the BIN price and then hit the BIN button afterwards.

hm

Either way, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with it. If a seller lists a book for $300 and Josh wants to buy it for $300 who cares?

Maybe because you're competing against the owners of the site after it's publicly listed? We yell about Heritage doing it all the time. If they want to do so, that's fine but set up a system that allows them first dibs before it shows up publicly...

Jim

Seems to be an apples and oranges comparison Jim. On Heritage, it is assumed (strongly and most likely accurate) that the house is bidding on books to drive up the price.

On CLink (or any other fixed price site) the price is there and is open game for all to compete on. Clink isnt driving up the price on the books on their site.

On CLink (or any other fixed price site) the price is there and is open game for all to compete on. Clink isnt driving up the price on the books on their site.

Unfortunately, this doesn't hold for the C-link auctions.

Seems to be an apples and oranges comparison Jim. On Heritage, it is assumed (strongly and most likely accurate) that the house is bidding on books to drive up the price.

It is an accurate comparison to an extent. They have the capability to void BINs if they want an issue despite seeing the item after it's be "bought". That's not right in my opinion if such activity is going on. That's why I mentioned they should put a system in place where they can have first dibs before the issue goes public...

I, and others, have had BINs posted almost immediately after the item appeared denied. That's not cool. They need a better system so a potential buyer isn't wasting their time and money waiting for a confirmation that's not forthcoming. It would also ease some of the speculation that the system isn't working as advertised...

Jim

what books is Josh buying? Anyone have any idea? that would point toward the truth of the assertions of impropriety.

What impropriety are you referring to? You list a book on Clink, Clink buys it for your asking price...everyone's happy, right? (shrug)

It is an accurate comparison to an extent. They have the capability to void BINs if they want an issue despite seeing the item after it's be "bought". That's not right in my opinion if such activity is going on. That's why I mentioned they should put a system in place where they can have first dibs before the issue goes public...

Jim

but if the seller accepts the BIN, then comic link cannot "void" it, you get an immediate auto response that the order is confirmed...naturally, if the seller of the books takes a while to respond, then yes, I suspect that comiclink could "insert" their BIN as a priority, but surely those opportunities are fewer and farther between (shrug) most everyone I know lists books at prices that give them room to negoatiate....

but if the seller accepts the BIN, then comic link cannot "void" it, you get an immediate auto response that the order is confirmed...naturally, if the seller of the books takes a while to respond, then yes, I suspect that comiclink could "insert" their BIN as a priority, but surely those opportunities are fewer and farther between (shrug) most everyone I know lists books at prices that give them room to negoatiate....

Do you usually get quick confirmation e-mails? Mine are usually half a day or longer...but then again most all my buys have been on the weekends.

I once had one I waited a couple days for...

Jim

Do you usually get quick confirmation e-mails? Mine are usually half a day or longer...but then again most all my buys have been on the weekends.

Jim

good point... I have sold a few books on comiclink, and I have typically responded to offers and BIN's within minutes of them being placed, only because I am online 10+ hours a day and my computer "alerts" me when a new email has come in (offer email).... as a buyer, a few times I have gotten almost immediate responses ...but, you are correct, most of the time, it is hours, or half days, or days, or sometimes my offers never get responded to (that 5 day auto decline)...

Jim

Accurate scenario:

Someone hits the BIN at midnite.

I've been asleep for an hour.

The next morning at work I check my email.

10 hours from the BIN being hit it is accepted, and that's pretty close to 1/2 a day.

Maybe I need a crapberry that wakes me in the middle of the night to respond to a bid or BIN... hm

There is a use case or condition that can occur, as I've experienced, where there is a conflict as to who the buyer is. The guys at CL are aware of it, although I don't think they've done anything to date to address the "glitch".

I've personally been declared the "winner" of a book and I got called to say that technically someone else was the winner.

I've also received no response...at the very least a "decline" would at least the bidder know the status...because you don't know if the bid was low or the seller was just not checking.

...most of the time, it is hours, or half days, or days, or sometimes my offers never get responded to (that 5 day auto decline)...

I love it when the seller has "auto decline" if not within x% of asking price...and it's something like 90% and the asking price is 40% higher than it should be...and I put in fair bids that get declined and then walk away from the book...a few days later they rush to lower it...and I look on going "too late, sucka!"

I agree with what Brent said here. I do business with comiclink and no problems with them. Terb is a great and accommodating. The thing as everyone points out is if you click on the buy now you have to wait for sometime if it really is yours and maybe someone clicked it first than you.

It's frustrating as a buyer. I tried buying a PC book at the listed price before and only to find out a day later that it was sold. who bought it? whether comiclink or someone else, who knows?

I would prefer it being transparent, as soon as i click the buy it now, the book should be placed as sale pending and I don't know the analogy needing the seller to accepting the buy it now price. Heck, he placed it there. Does he need to know my character background or anything else?

I agree 100% that if a book is BIN'd it needs to show up so immediately. If comiclink does buy a book I don't care as it's a free market but If I were to get there before them I'd like to know it.

R.

It could also be a case where a want list customer receives priority.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

They need to figure out a system where the comic doesn't go public then. Say a 12 hour grace period where they or a wantlist member have first dibs...no bites after this time, it rolls onto the site and is free game...

Jim

Has anybody brought this ComicLilnk's attention? Clearly there are many of us who are frustrated with the way CL handles BINs. Perhaps a few calls from regular buyers can help them see the light.

Next time I talk with them, I will voice my opinion.

Please do the same!