• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a classic case of SCS?

45 posts in this topic

It looks like there was damage there to begin with, and it's been exacerbated by some SCS.

Kind of like you already have a dent in your car, then some doofus in the parking lot dings it in the same place.

Hey, I don't know where you're getting your information but I have never exacerbated. (tsk)

:signfunny:

Never? . . . :whistle:

It looks like there was damage there to begin with, and it's been exacerbated by some SCS.

Kind of like you already have a dent in your car, then some doofus in the parking lot dings it in the same place.

Hey, I don't know where you're getting your information but I have never exacerbated. (tsk)
Makes you go blind.

I thought it was hair on your palms . . . (shrug)

Just called for the grader notes...

Wear top of spine

Abrasion top of front and back covers

Lite corner crease top bc

Sounds like there was wear there when the book was submitted.....who knows how much though.

I can't believe I missed this post. Sorry to you, Doc and Z-Man for what must have seemed to you, like I was ignoring your posts. Just didn't notice.

Actually, I havn't received the book yet. It's an eBay win. I didn't notice the spot on top until after I won with a best offer. doh!

I'm glad to hear that there was abrasion on the top before grading. Although, i'd have to see CGC's scan to determine the extent of the abrasion.

Thank guys (thumbs u

I'll take the minority opinion on this one. The book looks like a solid 9.4 to me from the scan. The right edge and spine have no discernable defects and, rather than SCS, the area in question at the top appears to be a small bit of ruffling of the overhang, the kind that could be smoothed out relatively easily with one's thumb if the book weren't entombed. Without it, perhaps the book would be a NM+?

(shrug)

I'll take the minority opinion on this one. The book looks like a solid 9.4 to me from the scan. The right edge and spine have no discernable defects and, rather than SCS, the area in question at the top appears to be a small bit of ruffling of the overhang, the kind that could be smoothed out relatively easily with one's thumb if the book weren't entombed. Without it, perhaps the book would be a NM+?

(shrug)

:cloud9:

Yes, thats clear as day,

Until the comics community starts making some noise this won't get fixed.

But it very much needs to. Maybe we can get Scoop or CBG to do an article about this...

Nah.....that will never happen.

Yes, thats clear as day,

But it very much needs to. Maybe we can get Scoop or CBG to do an article about this...

The facts are that books are better kept raw than slabbed, but at the same time, there is an absolute need for third party grading and expert restoration checks on high dollar books. Hence the conundrum. If I were buying slabbed books to keep, I would crack them out, and pray that they arrived to me without damage. As it is, I don't buy slabs unless they are ridiculously underpriced, and I only slab to sell.

Exactly , DIV. It's common sense that this happens .They must know , and have got to be frantically looking into a solution ! It can't be that hard to figure it out ? (shrug)

Yes, that's clear as day,

The facts are that books are better kept raw than slabbed, but at the same time, there is an absolute need for third party grading and expert restoration checks on high dollar books. Hence the conundrum. If I were buying slabbed books to keep, I would crack them out, and pray that they arrived to me without damage. As it is, I don't buy slabs unless they are ridiculously underpriced, and I only slab to sell.

CGC has talked about this quite a bit. If anyone can come up with a better system to prevent SCS they will be happy to use it. They have spent lots of $$ developing a system to protect comics. I have to ask, how many books get posted WITHOUT scs. Not many...I think it is safe to say that the positives out weigh the negatives. Again (and this is straight from Steve Borock) if anyone can come up with a better system they will use it!

I am still coming up with one. I am a firm believer that packaging makes a world of difference. Packing peanuts absorb shock better than just plain bubble wrap and cardboard. It's all about transfer of inertia. Simple science folks. Styrofoam peanuts seem to deflect impact forces on a tangent (not directly) while anything else seems to transfer forces directly.

R.

As a matter of fact , after looking at it once more , after I just posted , Why do they even need to have that variance - ie. where the plastic forms that irregularity at the corners ?.....

doh!doh!doh!

CGC has talked about this quite a bit. If anyone can come up with a better system to prevent SCS they will be happy to use it. They have spent lots of $$ developing a system to protect comics. I have to ask, how many books get posted WITHOUT scs. Not many...I think it is safe to say that the positives out weigh the negatives. Again (and this is straight from Steve Borock) if anyone can come up with a better system they will use it!

Exactly when did you start working for CGC's PR department?

Just a comment about SCS - I have never received a book straight from CGC with SCS. It's when I have purchased slabs on the open market that I have unfortunately observed this. Perhaps it's more the fault of mishandling by the "shaker" than that of the "shakee" :grin: