• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK # 1 Sid's Luncheonette copy - well-loved - POLL

HULK # 1  

132 members have voted

1. 1. HULK # 1

37 posts in this topic

Here's my Hulk 1. it has it's problems and there are two things you may not be able to see.

there is an approx 4 inch spine split starting at the bottom. then the split continues into a 4 inch lateral tear across the BC. the rest is what you see.

what do you think??

javits042.jpg

javits043.jpg

It just needs a little tape :devil:

This brings up a very good point.

what happens to the grade if I put a piece of tape on the lateral tear?? i know it won't be resto, but does it reduce the grade further typically, and if the book is already low grade, does it matter.

because quite frankly, handling it makes me think the chances of that tear getting worse are significant.

what if matt nelson put a piece of archival tape on it - would it then be restored, and if so, does that make any sense??

I think at 2.0 and lower, tape isn't going to affect the grade in any way. Without the two big tears, I was looking at this book as a 3.0. With the tears, however, I think you're looking at around a 1.8-2.0. I kind of agree with you too--I think it would be a good idea to get some tape on those tears to keep it from getting worse. :shrug:

I think at 2.0 and lower, tape isn't going to affect the grade in any way. Without the two big tears, I was looking at this book as a 3.0. With the tears, however, I think you're looking at around a 1.8-2.0. I kind of agree with you too--I think it would be a good idea to get some tape on those tears to keep it from getting worse. :shrug:

Instead of tape use a spot or two of paper glue. If all your looking to do is keep the tear from getting worse glue would show less work than tape.

Just my opinion.

I disagree. There is never any reason to add tape to a comic book. And, although some may feel that it won't impact the technical grade, it will definitely affect the appearance of the book. :sumo:

2.0 btw . . . :grin:

I disagree. There is never any reason to add tape to a comic book. And, although some may feel that it won't impact the technical grade, it will definitely affect the appearance of the book. :sumo:

never use tape! maybe a good candidate for a resto? regardless awesome grail 2.0 (worship)

The book is nicer than a 2.0 and just shy of a 3.0.

These dark issue covers show wear much more than a light book. If not for the spine split/tear you'd have a 3.0

I agree with comicdey. If you're going to keep it just put it in a mylar. If you're going to read it then maybe a drop of archival glue to stop the damage. Archival tape WILL get a purple label whereas regular tape won't but reg tape will damage the paper. Not sure what glue will do...maybe talk to CGC, Tracey or Matt about it.

R.

It's not a mint book....and in that grade, conservation with archival tape or other methods would be appropriate if you want to read it on occasion.

I do not for the life of me understand why minor conservation type restoration affects the value on an otherwise lower grade book.

High grade, sure....but VG or below......come on collectors....it's a reader any way you look at it. In this case, a major key reader, but still not a NM book.

never use tape! maybe a good candidate for a resto? regardless awesome grail 2.0 (worship)

Fine, fine, I'll stand down on the tape. But I still think some fashion of conservation would benefit the book if he's going to keep it as a reading copy. If it's getting slabbed and never touched again, then leaving it be would work fine.