• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK # 1 Sid's Luncheonette copy - well-loved - POLL

HULK # 1  

132 members have voted

1. 1. HULK # 1

37 posts in this topic

Burntboy; Nice Hulk book.

As everyone has stated I wouldn't tape this book either. However,

I don't know what you paid for it and surely it's not our business, but if you paid close to guide for it, I think this would be a great candidate to have professionally restored!!!

(Yeah I know about all the nay-sayers out there, but there are some good candidates for restoration and i think your book probably fits the bill).

If restored to a VF for example (which is 10,000 currently), you could figure probably at 40% of that (if resold as restored) for a VF restored copy ($4000.00).

I'm not sure what the restoration would cost but I'd guess about $500.00 to 750.00 (make a few calls). So if you paid guide (approx. $1500.00) for this book , had the restoration done ($500.00+) sold it for $4000.00 you would have made $2000.00 profit (approx.) and could then turn around and purchase a VG unrestored copy for $2000.00.

what do you think about that??? hm

Added: Actually your book is probably not a 2.5 (my example above), so you probably paid $1000.00 or maybe even less (GD in Overstreet is $1000.00) which would make your profit margin even more. I'd make a couple of calls!!!

Harry actually bought this book off the rack. He has a collection called the Syd's Luncheonette collection (where he bought his books as a kid) that he has kept all these years. I think he sold the mid60's onwards a couple of years ago (I bought and owned his JIM #89 CGC 8.5 for a while).

(thumbs u

So does that mean he has no intention of ever selling it because of nostalgic reasons???

Uh, no - take a look at the EBay sales forum - Harry's got about 10 posts going over there to promo his upcoming sales at the Javitts :grin:

I'm glad that my queries generated some responses.

i was seriously wondering about the "magic" tape vs. Archival tape issue. not sure that i understand the difference and why one would be "Blue" and one "Plod"......seems very inconsistent to me.

and yes, i paid exactly 12 cents for that book 45+ years ago. not sure how it got so beat up as many of my books remained in newstand condition. i don't even think i liked the first 6 issues of the Hulk.

in any event, i'll talk to Matt Nelson about the book again. he felt taping the tear and maybe a little squeezing would be about right, when i asked about a full resto at last years national in NYC.

surprisingly, the other 5 issues of the Hulk's first solo book, didn't fare that much better- all around 3.5 - 6.0. it still amazes me that they all got banged up as opposed to most of my collection. i've always thought my nephews were at fault for them and all my Marvel annuals being beat up while i was in the service............... (shrug)

not sure how it got so beat up as many of my books remained in newstand condition. (shrug)

Harry,

My experience over the years with my collection, was not what I did to my books, but what others did to it . . . it was invariably my college dorm roomates that took many of my books from NM down to VG - either through excessive abuse or beer bottle stains :censored: They all laughed if I told them to be careful or gentle with the books. :(

-d

Divad is right....

I picked up a sweet group of GA and SA books from an antique store while in college including JLA 2 in VF, my B&B 34 that I still have, Showcase 30, LL 15.

I had a few laying out on the floor after I first got them and I was grading them....my girlfriend at the time dropped something sharp on the JLA #2 and punctured through the cover........ouch.

I'm glad that my queries generated some responses.

i was seriously wondering about the "magic" tape vs. Archival tape issue. not sure that i understand the difference and why one would be "Blue" and one "Plod"......seems very inconsistent to me. )

Hey Harry, Not to over simplify it, but here is a quick breakdown as I know it ,sorry if I am going over things you already know.

Magic tape (common household tape) uses adhesives that are bad for the book, and are very hard to remove.

Archival safe tape(pre made self binding adhesives applied through pressure) ,again it can be removed but sometimes with difficulty and many times needs solvents to do so.

Lastly japan/rice paper(common tear seal method) is the best way to mend a tear seal, it is applied using a wheat paste type glue and can be removed very safely,hence why it is used primarily in resto jobs.

CGC labels the application of household type tapes as amature because of the tape itself. Not how well it was applied. Even if applied poorly, japan /rice paper application will still receive a Pro designation because of the materials used.

This is all very misleading because many think the A or P on the label designates the quality of work done, when in reality it has every thing to do with the materials used.

So why then does a book with a dot or 2 of sharpie on the spine get a plod?.. the sharpie is not archival. I suppose because it comes down to the argument household tape was meant to enhance the book, but is easy to see. Dots of CT with a sharpie were also meant to enhance the book, but was done with the intent to deceive. So if you wrote your name, or just made a big black line over the previous dots of CT it you would get a downgraded blue label where it once was purple.

As I understand it anyways.

Regarding your Hulk book, I dont see why you should not have a thin stip of japan/rice paper applied to the interior cover and mend the tear to prevent future damage, and if you do sell it down the road it would be fairly easy to remove it without dis assembly or solvents. While glueing it in spots does work, it can break many times and you are left with the same problem as before.

Yes it would be considered restored, but on the most minor level..dare I even mention the word "conserved" around here?

:shy:

Regarding your Hulk book, I dont see why you should not have a thin stip of japan/rice paper applied to mend the tear and prevent future damage, and if you sell it down the road it would be fairly easy to remove it without dis assembly or solvents.

Yes it would be considered restored, but on the most minor level..dare I even mention the words conserved around here?

:shy:

The best suggestion to date. :sumo:

It just needs a little tape :devil:

This brings up a very good point.

what happens to the grade if I put a piece of tape on the lateral tear?? i know it won't be resto, but does it reduce the grade further typically, and if the book is already low grade, does it matter.

because quite frankly, handling it makes me think the chances of that tear getting worse are significant.

what if matt nelson put a piece of archival tape on it - would it then be restored, and if so, does that make any sense??

Archival tape sounds like a good idea.From a logical standpoint...I know,I know ,logic doesn't apply to comic grading....if tape is allowed in VG...A professional tear seal to the spine and back cover should INCREASE the value and create a much more solid specimen.Resto on apparent VG or less doesn't bother me AT ALL.That's a nice low grade copy.Is it fo' sale?GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u