• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Marketplace article about Pre-Hero Prototypes?

13 posts in this topic

I believe there was an article in one of the early issues of Comic Book Marketplace that focused on Pre-Hero Prototypes.

Does anybody know what issue this was in?

And does anybody have a copy of the article that they could scan and email to me?

Thanks!

Steve

I believe there was an article in one of the early issues of Comic Book Marketplace that focused on Pre-Hero Prototypes.

Does anybody know what issue this was in?

And does anybody have a copy of the article that they could scan and email to me?

Thanks!

Steve

I can tell you its not in issue 43 nor 65. Also, the centerfold of issue #43 shows color photos of issues #22-43 and I didn't see any mention of Pre-Hero Prototypes on any cover except possibly issue 36 (there is a photo of Detective Dan on the cover)

- Darren

The article you seek can be found in CBM #21" Kirby Monsters on the Run! A Guide to the Atlas Monster Comics" by John Townsend.

There was another article on Atlas monsters by Conrad Eschenberg in the second issue of Overstreet's Advanced Collector Quarterly.' 'Prime Pre-Hero Marvel'.'

Bill

The article you seek can be found in CBM #21" Kirby Monsters on the Run! A Guide to the Atlas Monster Comics" by John Townsend.

There was another article on Atlas monsters by Conrad Eschenberg in the second issue of Overstreet's Advanced Collector Quarterly.' 'Prime Pre-Hero Marvel'.'

Bill

Greggy scanned that article in a thread in the OA Forum. It was in response to Steve's earlier posting of the same question there.

Bill

Thanks Bill == I believe the article I am actually looking for is Conrad's article in the OS ACQ! In fact Cryptkeeper's sending me a scan of it. :wishluck:

Thanks for the tip!!!

--Steve

Bill

Thanks Bill == I believe the article I am actually looking for is Conrad's article in the OS ACQ! In fact Cryptkeeper's sending me a scan of it. :wishluck:

Thanks for the tip!!!

--Steve

BIG THANKS to Cryptkeeper for sending me the scan of the Prime Pre-Hero Marvel article from Overstreet Quarterly. It is fantastic, and focuses on stories where Kirby and Ditko collaborated on the art. However, it doesn't address the prototypes. Can anybody shed some light on such an article that focuses on the pre-hero prototypes? :wishluck:

Bill

Thanks for the tip!!!

--Steve

BIG THANKS to Cryptkeeper for sending me the scan of the Prime Pre-Hero Marvel article from Overstreet Quarterly. It is fantastic, and focuses on stories where Kirby and Ditko collaborated on the art. However, it doesn't address the prototypes. Can anybody shed some light on such an article that focuses on the pre-hero prototypes? :wishluck:

Could you post the scan cryptkeeper sent you in this thread?

However, it doesn't address the prototypes. Can anybody shed some light on such an article that focuses on the pre-hero prototypes? :wishluck:

Would it look like this? :whistle::gossip: Alter Ego # 29 and it also suggests that there will be a follow-up article. I was at the author's home on Saturday and the stuff is ready, just Roy isn't finding room for it in the mag ...

P.S.: I don't read the SA nor the OA forum in general so I don't know how long you've been looking for this ...

57436-Proto-Spider.jpg.69634f6a12cb5561122d7c3496c21e51.jpg

Bill

Thanks for the tip!!!

--Steve

I believe you can find early discussions about prototypes from time to time in the letter columns of the first series of CBM and the Overstreet Monthly (that soon followed it). These letters popped up as questions/comments in response to the Guide's then recent listing of prototypes. It then became kind of a competition to see who could find "forgotten prototypes". You can also check out the archives on the L-Kirby and Timely-Altas Yahoo lists for further discusions.

I dont recall a definitive article on the subject until the 2-part piece in the new Alter-Ego. I personally never get tired of talking about this topic!

Bill

I dont recall a definitive article on the subject until the 2-part piece in the new Alter-Ego. I personally never get tired of talking about this topic!

Bill

Bill, do you recall in which issue of AE the second-part was published? It's not #30 and I don't want to start opening all issues to find it.

Bill

Thanks for the tip!!!

--Steve

Could you post the scan cryptkeeper sent you in this thread?

:foryou:

prehero1.jpg

prehero2.jpg

prehero3.jpg

prehero4.jpg

prehero5.jpg