• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars #8 (43 copies in NM/NM+)

Secret Wars #8  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Secret Wars #8

13 posts in this topic

I have a hypothetical question to ask of you guys (and girls):

Let's say you came across a large collection of comics for sale and they were all in short boxes. And let's say in one of those boxes you purchased you happened to find 43 copies of Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars #8 (Spidey's 1st Black Costume). And let's say they were all unread store stock with white, white pages and had been in that box for....oh.....15 to 20 years. And the only thing wrong with them is they had a price marked in pencil at the top left corner of the back cover on each comic. So let's say all of them are in NM/NM+ condition (9.4's, 9.6's, maybe even some 9.8's). And let's say you didn't want to keep all of them and preferred to sell at least part of them.

Would you:

Assuming you are out to make money out of this and get some high grade comics for your own collection....

Why only 2 options?

You spent $x on all the comics.......

Send the best for grading only!

In the meantime, save the rest to sell off raw.

By the time you've sold the raw ones, the graded ones will be back anyway.

The money you make on the raw ones $y is then subtracted from the initial $x - so, when you finally sell the CGC'd ones you dont want, you've effectively paid for the ones you do want.

Just my thoughts.

:)

I already did Option #2. Now, the price of a 9.8 is less than $80... Don't know if it's worth it now to get 9.6s or below... (shrug)

Also, how much are they going to cost you in the first place? Couple that with the $15 in slabbing (or is it more now that the discount is only 10% instead of 20%?) and it may not be a good idea to even slab 9.4s or 9.6s.

I already did Option #2. Now, the price of a 9.8 is less than $80... Don't know if it's worth it now to get 9.6s or below... (shrug)

Also, how much are they going to cost you in the first place? Couple that with the $15 in slabbing (or is it more now that the discount is only 10% instead of 20%?) and it may not be a good idea to even slab 9.4s or 9.6s.

According to GPAnalysis, a 9.8 last went for over $100, 9.6 is about $50 and 9.4 is of the order of $40. Submitting more than 10 at one time should afford more discount on the grading expense.

Its just a case of balancing the books between how much they were bought for, how many need to be graded (and the cost of doing so), how much you'll get for the raw ones and the potential value of the graded items (less the ones you want to keep).

According to GPAnalysis, a 9.8 last went for over $100, 9.6 is about $50 and 9.4 is of the order of $40. Submitting more than 10 at one time should afford more discount on the grading expense.

Its just a case of balancing the books between how much they were bought for, how many need to be graded (and the cost of doing so), how much you'll get for the raw ones and the potential value of the graded items (less the ones you want to keep).

You should check the graph in GPAnalysis and not just look at the last sale. The overall trend is DOWN.

Let's look at the trend for the last six months or so.

For Oct 2007, the average was $106. This was the last month the average was over $100.

For Nov 2007, the average price was $90. (17)

For Dec 2007, the average price was $89. (24)

For Jan 2008, the average price was $89. (23)

For Feb 2008, the average price was $82. (16)

For Mar 2008, the average price was $81. (17)

For April 2008, the average price so far is $98.30 (9)

If it continues a trend back up to the $100 price, that's great. But look closer at the month of April.

$63.00 2008 Apr 02 2:15:00 PM

$82.00 2008 Apr 02 8:17:00 PM

$101.75 2008 Apr 04 6:25:00 PM

$140.00 PS 2008 Apr 10 12:0:00 AM

$149.99 2008 Apr 12 10:7:00 PM

$63.04 2008 Apr 13 8:51:00 AM

$100.00 2008 Apr 13 6:30:00 PM

$70.00 2008 Apr 13 8:36:00 PM

$114.95 2008 Apr 19 5:18:00 PM

Look at the highs and lows. The low is $63. The high is $149.99 (which looks like a BIN.)

The 90 day average for Secret Wars #8 in 9.8 is $86.94

If you're going to put 20+ possible copies of it, you may cause a shift in lower prices as well. (I moved about 80+ copies of SW#8 in 9.8 and 9.6 into the market a couple of years ago.)

Submitting 10 or more doesn't really give you a discount. You need to submit 50 or more to pre-screen which could save some money if you can't pre-screen accurately yourself. Even then, it costs $3 per rejected book which can add to your overall cost. Submitting a lot of books only really saves on the return shipping as it spreads the cost out per book.

One more thing. A lot of collectors won't have a subscription to GPAnalysis or a copy of Overstreet ($30 in 9.2 raw). What they'll have is Wizard. Now Wizard used to be laughably HIGH for certain books and totally out of step with reality.

However, they list SW #8 in 9.8 as currently being worth $85.

IIRC, there was an eBay seller who had a warehouse find of these in 9.8 and sold them all last fall. Pretty much filled the market. Maybe Fantasycomics? I heard they had some of the same find as Showcase New England.

It might be a tough market for 43 more.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been checking out the GPA website and reviewing eBay sales and I'm actually starting to like the 3rd option that rdz30606 brought up. Review all 43 copies closely, pick out the absolute best for grading and sell the rest raw. Now I just have to go through that process.

You may see some raw copies on my "Anything Goes" sales thread later today.

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks for the input guys. I've been checking out the GPA website and reviewing eBay sales and I'm actually starting to like the 3rd option that rdz30606 brought up. Review all 43 copies closely, pick out the absolute best for grading and sell the rest raw. Now I just have to go through that process.

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Mike,

Some good feedback for you on this. I'm glad, of course, that you liked the 3rd option I presented for you. Good luck with it. Let me know how you get on....and I'll look forward to receiving my 10% commission by paypal!!!! :acclaim:

Regards,

Raj

Thanks!

Mike

You might want to look into doing a 9.8 prescreen just to make sure you don't get a 9.6

You might want to look into doing a 9.8 prescreen just to make sure you don't get a 9.6

Will CGC even allow a 9.8 with a price written on the back? (shrug)

I was wondering the same exact thing...and my avatar made me have to chime in at some point. :shy: