• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annuals

10 posts in this topic

hard to answer, I almost want to answer yes, but this is pure speculation.

From a comics standpoint, annuals tend to be less desired (in general) because they are normally not part of the regular storyline, and have different artists and writers, so yes, if from the same year, a hot artist was working on the regular title and that OA was going nuts, buying the art from the annual would be cheaper, with good reason - it's not as desirable!

On the other hand, like the Uncanny X-men, if Art Adams did some art on the annuals, those will be way more expensive than the regular book.

Malvin

From a comics standpoint, annuals tend to be less desired (in general) because they are normally not part of the regular storyline, and have different artists and writers, so yes, if from the same year, a hot artist was working on the regular title and that OA was going nuts, buying the art from the annual would be cheaper, with good reason - it's not as desirable!

On the other hand, like the Uncanny X-men, if Art Adams did some art on the annuals, those will be way more expensive than the regular book.

Malvin

So you're saying "Yes, No and Maybe"?

Got it! (thumbs u

Malvin

So you're saying "Yes, No and Maybe"?

Got it! (thumbs u

Like many complicated issues, the true answer is always it depends! :grin:

Hi,

Wondering if purchasing art work from Annuals should be less expensive?

Not necessarily. Depends on the Annual, artist, storyline (is it a classic?), featured villain(s), etc.

When I think of some of the classic Silver Age annuals, shoot, I'd love to see pages from ASM Annual 1 (think of those dynamite DItko splashes! :luhv: Or Annual 2, with pages featuring Spidey AND Dr. Strange! :whatthe: BIG BUCKS!), or for example one of our boardies recently posted some pages from FF Annual 3 with loads of guest stars on it. DD Annual 1 also featured more villains than you could shake a stick at! Pages from Annuals like that would command a premium.

BUT -- there was a period (for Marvel at least) where the Annuals were almost like tryout books for new or developing artists. There's lots of issues with less than memorable villains drawn by artists who were not top-level talents and containing stories that had little to do with ongoing continuity or were part of not-so-popular mega crossovers. zzz Pages from those would likely go for less, as you reason in your post.

And of course occasionally you'd have a superstar doing a stint on an annual. I think of Frank Miller doing the Spidey Annuals (14 and 15 I believe?). Art Adams did superb X-Men work, etc.

With art there's no general rule that applies to all art. Well, other than supply and demand.

My 2c

I agree with what's been said here overall.

I think however if you are talking about early Marvel Annuals the prices would not be less but equal or as stated sometimes more.

I consider the Marvel Annuals I'm referring to are from 1962-1967.

By the way here's a early Annual page for you. Millie the Model Annual #1 1962, this book ties with S.T. Annual #1 as the 1st Marvel Annual (not counting 1940's Annuals of course). Sorry about the poor scan.

Yeah I know it's Romance!!! :luhv: But try finding one!!!!

milliethemodelann1pg18.jpg

By the way here's a early Annual page for you. Millie the Model Annual #1 1962, this book ties with S.T. Annual #1 as the 1st Marvel Annual (not counting 1940's Annuals of course). Sorry about the poor scan.

Yeah I know it's Romance!!! :luhv: But try finding one!!!!

milliethemodelann1pg18.jpg

(worship) (worship)

Millie Annual 1! :luhv:

Seriously, that book is tougher to find than ST Annual 1. Tough, tough, tough! And to have a page of OA? Yowza!!! :whatthe:

In general, for vintage Marvel art, I'd speculate that art for Annuals and Giant Sized issues is less expensive than the art from regular titles. There are many collectors that collect ar from the main title, but don't go after the art from the Annuals or Giant Sized issues. They don't consider it part of the main storyline.

Now, that assumes there isn't something special about the Annual like the artist of the story...

You can see this by looking at some of your major titles...

A Bill Sienkiewicz page from the Dracula story in X-Men #159 would likely go for more than a page from the Dracula story in X-Men Annual #6. Likewise a Brent Anderson page from X-Men #144 would probably be more desirable (and expensive) than a comparable page from X-Men Annual #5.

Romita/Heck pages from Amazing Spider-man Annual #3 pages typically circulate on the market while pages from the regular Amazing Spider-man title rarely do. That's because there are less collectors looking for Annual pages than pages from the regular title.

I think you'd see similar trends with FF, Hulk, Iron Man, and other pages. But the difference in price probably isn't as pronounced with one title as it is with others.

With Giant Sized issues (aside from key issues like G.S. X-Men #1), there is typically an even larger gap. Ross Andru Giant Size pages from Spider-man go for far less than corresponding pages from the regular title.

But if the art is great, some people don't care if it came from an Annual or regular title.