• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Silver Age batman with weird defect

17 posts in this topic

Received a batch of books this morning, including this Batman #198.

Now the book looks pretty solid front and back cover...

bat198front.jpg

But the spine is almost completely gone :o

bat198spine.jpg

Because of the nature of this squarebound book both FC and BC are still firmly attached, so are all the pages, staples etc... It's just like someone took a knife and peeled away the spine.

Everybody ever seen something similar ? And what kind of grade does this book get (shrug)

Good lord!, that is some selective rat chewing! Maybe a mouse liked the way the glue tasted?

I have no idea what caused that other then what you said about someone carving it up. :eek: As far as how to grade it.. VG?

Was it listed in the auction that way?

Good lord!, that is some selective rat chewing! Maybe a mouse liked the way the glue tasted?

I have no idea what caused that other then what you said about someone carving it up. :eek: As far as how to grade it.. VG?

Was it listed in the auction that way?

It's weird alright... rest of the book is higher grade than most of my Silver Age collection :whistle:

I bought it from a dealer, no pic just a grade. Bought it as a g/vg for $5.00.

Got the shock of my life when I opened the package today and thought he had sent me the wrong book, then I saw the left side and then I flipped it over and saw the spine lol

I think that's probably right (thumbs u And, if it was in a stack that's probably the only part that was accessible to the little vermin.

I think a G/VG seems like a fair grade (shrug)

Naw ! , There's no evidence of any rat chewing there . They leave fairly distinctive marks.

More like it was in the middle of a stack and the spine received brushing up to it by something at sometime.

If your really curious , take out a mag. lens. BH

It's contact damage - the book was stored spine down in a stack and came into contact briefly with some moisture and dried. When the stack was pulled away it literally tore the surface of the spine off. :grin:

Stored spine down ? :o :o......Now nobody , even your grandmother would do that !.......... :grin:...BH.................................. :grin:

It's contact damage - the book was stored spine down in a stack and came into contact briefly with some moisture and dried. When the stack was pulled away it literally tore the surface of the spine off. :grin:

Huh....that's a new one... hm

Looks like a VF disregarding the spine...

I dunno...maybe could grade as high as a 6.0....? (shrug)

HELLO IT'S MISSING THE COMPLETE SPINE :makepoint:

POOR/GOOD 2.0/3.0

Are you sure?

Looks more like the "surface" is pulled off and there's a "fuzzy" binding left.

If the spine was completely gone, the book would fall apart. I don't get a sense that is what's happening here.....

Yes , you are correct ! Could grade as high as 4-5 , but don't count on it........Bh

Huh....that's a new one... hm

Looks like a VF disregarding the spine...

I dunno...maybe could grade as high as a 6.0....? (shrug)

HELLO IT'S MISSING THE COMPLETE SPINE :makepoint:

POOR/GOOD 2.0/3.0

Are you sure?

Looks more like the "surface" is pulled off and there's a "fuzzy" binding left.

If the spine was completely gone, the book would fall apart. I don't get a sense that is what's happening here.....

Thanks everyone for the opinions...it is indeed a weird book to grade.

The spine-binding in still there, just looks like someone "skinned" it..

Anyway I thought I'd put it up as I've never ever seen a book like this before, I'm keeping it, pretty cover and very readable :)

Yeah , it received a good skinnin , that's all.... :grin:....BH

Thanks everyone for the opinions...it is indeed a weird book to grade.

The spine-binding in still there, just looks like someone "skinned" it..

Anyway I thought I'd put it up as I've never ever seen a book like this before, I'm keeping it, pretty cover and very readable :)