• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to an unconfirmed Paypal address

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am sure this has been probably been covered before but I have a big book (over $1000) that I need to ship to an unconfirmed Paypal address (meaning no Paypal protection against charge backs, etc). I asked the person to have a confirmed address but he is using a friend's paypal account because he is from out of the country. I guess everythings sounds the up and up but I am a little worried about the possibility of being charged back. I was going to ship with tracking, signature, and full insurance. Is there anything else I can do to protect myself. Thank you.

Don't do it. Only you can lose. Fraud can easily be done this way. Propose that you can only send to a verified address, so send it to his friend if that's the case and have his friend send it to him. On my listings I typically put that I will only send to PayPal verified addresses only if they are paying that way. This way you are also covered in that they have violated the terms and conditions of the listing and you can cancel their bid/win.

Its a mistake to ship. If its a small/cheap item take a chance but you could be out the book and the $$$$. The buyer may be legit but he may have spotted your auction as a big book without the standard auction terms 'only ship to confirmed address'. If he really wants it sent to unconfirmed address have him pay by money order or cheque.

Don't do it. Only you can lose. Fraud can easily be done this way. Propose that you can only send to a verified address, so send it to his friend if that's the case and have his friend send it to him. On my listings I typically put that I will only send to PayPal verified addresses only if they are paying that way. This way you are also covered in that they have violated the terms and conditions of the listing and you can cancel their bid/win.

I cannot agree more. Do something else. Confirmed address / money order / anything but some middle-man arrangement.

Hi,

I am sure this has been probably been covered before but I have a big book (over $1000) that I need to ship to an unconfirmed Paypal address (meaning no Paypal protection against charge backs, etc). I asked the person to have a confirmed address but he is using a friend's paypal account because he is from out of the country. I guess everythings sounds the up and up but I am a little worried about the possibility of being charged back. I was going to ship with tracking, signature, and full insurance. Is there anything else I can do to protect myself. Thank you.

This is weird... It is true that the buyer, being foreign, probably doesn't have a confirmed paypal address. Outside Canada, the US and a 2 or 3 other countries, paypal does not confirm addresses at all. I use paypal almost daily, have been a verified seller for over 7 years, have various credit cards and a bank account on file with them and spend nearly $10.000 a year with them, but my address is still unconfirmed :(

But if this buyer is using a friend's paypal account to pay you why did he pick someone who also doesn't have a confirmed address...

And if this friend is a foreign buyer as well, why go through him in the first place ?

Doesn't ad up...

I just signed up free Extended Paypal Seller Protection for powersellers. Sounds like I can ship to unconfirmed address if I have tracking, signature, and insurance. Anybody know for sure. Again, I heard EBay was trying to work on fake chargebacks.
There was something but it has to be the address on the PP account. Not just some other random address.

The buyer is in the Phillipines. He says he is using a friend's account (email address) and shipping to another friend's address and that person will be bringing the book to him in person when she visits in the Phillipines in the next week. I am trying to get him to confirm his friend's shipping address so I can ship to him and he can ship to the other friend. I hope this all true but I am getting worried which is why I want to get some other's opinions and experience. Thank you.

I think that just mean's the buyer is who he say's he is.

As far as the tracking, your going to have to mail it Express mail to get that, and that might be costly.

If it was me, I would thank him for his time, but say no thanks. Or, have him mail you a money order and then ship it. Your leaving yourself open to too much.

The buyer is in the Phillipines. He says he is using a friend's account (email address) and shipping to another friend's address and that person will be bringing the book to him in person when she visits in the Phillipines in the next week. I am trying to get him to confirm his friend's shipping address so I can ship to him and he can ship to the other friend. I hope this all true but I am getting worried which is why I want to get some other's opinions and experience. Thank you.

This sounds fishy. He even is trying to put the screws on you by saying it has to get to her in the next week.

before you ship, take out the balance in your paypal account and deposit it in your bank account. Once the funds transfer, call your bank and tell them your information was compromised and that you'll need a new account number. Then shut close down your paypal account. No charge back, but pain in the hass to do.

Dont do it..

Whoops hit the submit before i finished.

I wouldn't do it.

Paypal will NOT cover you if they say they didnt get it even with insurance and/or delivery confrimation.You MUST ship to a confirmed address to be covered,period.Tell them to pay money order or sell it to a second chance bidder.If he wants it that bad I'm sure he can firgure a way to get you payment by other means.

Only send to a unconfirmed address if your okay with losing out on the $$ and with a $1000 at stake this is a big NO.

I just signed up free Extended Paypal Seller Protection for powersellers. Sounds like I can ship to unconfirmed address if I have tracking, signature, and insurance. Anybody know for sure. Again, I heard EBay was trying to work on fake chargebacks.

:applause: You should be covered then.