• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Best RAW Silver Age Book

110 posts in this topic

I have some raw non-keys that would be slightly sharper than this, but I choose this one because it's a key, and a very tough book. I may have a couple of "better" keys, but I already have this one scanned in from when I posted it in the grading forum. Plus, it's a great cover. thumbsup2.gif

thor165.jpg

Very nice book, but it dovetails nicely with something that has been bothering me for quite some time....

Why is Warlock so key?

When I first encountered him in FF 66/67, I thought that they were some of the least interesting issues ever.

Not trying to be a hater, just trying to understand what the deal is. Did he become popular when I went on hiatus (late 70's to late 90's)?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan (who is also surprised that there are young whipper-snappers that have no idea who the Falcon is)

Let's try to create a little more traffic in this forum...

Post a scan of the absolute best condition raw S.A. book you own. Anything from 1956 to 1969 will do. Whether it guides at $12.00 or $20 000.00, let's see it.

Do you really mean that there are NM books that are still not slabbed ?! 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

Very nice book, but it dovetails nicely with something that has been bothering me for quite some time....

Why is Warlock so key?

When I first encountered him in FF 66/67, I thought that they were some of the least interesting issues ever.

Not trying to be a hater, just trying to understand what the deal is. Did he become popular when I went on hiatus (late 70's to late 90's)?

Exactly.... As far as I can tell (since I was three when it was on newsstands), interest in the character started with Jim Starlin's mid 70s run (Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-15) and was boosted in the past 10-12 years as Warlock started to take a central role in the many cosmic storylines Marvel has churned out. Personally, I collect the character first and foremost because of the Starlin connection. Secondarily, I'm just a fan of marvel's cosmic characters.

One of my fav covers and at that point the most expensive book I had ever bought...

Still in doubt if I should send it to CGC or not confused-smiley-013.gif

largeFF57.jpg

My favorite single issue ever!!! cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Chris

And the reason we started our 'relationship' blush.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Mine is the Marvel tales #2 that Andrew sold me...(if you still have the scan please post Andrew tongue.gif

MT2.jpg

Believe this may be the nicest Silver Age book I own. Zonker's OFFICIAL grade: Nearly-Minty!

297732-jla17.JPG

...and probably my best condition key. Zonker's OFFICIAL grade: Very, Very Fine-ish!

297734-jla21.JPG

That's sad..disgust.gif

He looks really cool. confused-smiley-013.gif

Do you know his origin?

The Falcon was actually created by the Red Skull using the Cosmic Cube. When the Skull first had the Cube he put Cap on an island where he met the Falcon who was also (unbeknownst to Cap) placed there by the Red Skull. Captain America trained the Falcon because he needed his help to defeat a group of five individuals that were terrorizing the natives of the island.

It wasn't until several years later, when the Red Skull in another battle with Cap made the Falcon betray Captain America against his will and told Cap he created him. When the Falcon got over the Red Skull's manipulation he remembered and told Cap his real name and that he had been a common criminal prior to becoming the Falcon. He went to trial for his crimes and although he was found guilty, the judge pardoned him because of all the good things he did since turning into the Falcon.

His wings were given to him by the Black Panther and it's what gives him the ability to fly/glide. He has no ability to fly without them. He is not Luke Cage's brother nor is he related to anyone mentioned earlier. grin.gif

Currently, he's fighting the good fight as an Avenger.

All knowing ninanina.