• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Best RAW Silver Age Book

110 posts in this topic

I like the Neal Adams Batman Hardcover I just got. I think he re-did a lot of his artwork specifically for the book, and it looks much better!
foreheadslap.gif I should read my copy! frown.gif

When you read it, compare your original copies to the art in the hardcover, and let me know if it's been changed. I'm pretty sure it has been, but I don't have anything to compare it to. smile.gif

I have some raw non-keys that would be slightly sharper than this, but I choose this one because it's a key, and a very tough book. I may have a couple of "better" keys, but I already have this one scanned in from when I posted it in the grading forum. Plus, it's a great cover. thumbsup2.gif

thor165.jpg

I've often wondered if this is a MH2 issue. Anyone? Believe it or not, I have a copy of this that is essentially perfect and the dealer who sold it to me was atypically unimpressed with it, so I've had this nagging doubt since them.

I'm not surprised at all....

There were millions upon millions of comics sold in the 60s and 70s. Sure.....the majority were well-handled or thrown away but due to sheer volume of comics sold, there are many that were not and no doubt survived in great condition. In my opinion, CGC has seen a mere fraction of those comics......

Jim

Wow. I'm impressed. I don't know what's stranger. The fact that there is some great raw high grade still available, or that it's not in slabs yet

Please tell me you're kidding. I don't understand why CGC collectors can not understand the shear numbers involved here. And the role of demographics and the start of the hobby. There are THOUSANDS, if not 10's of 1000's of collections of books with much HG Silver and Bronze that no one in the collecting community knows about. These collections started in the 60's and 70's and are owned by people who were then in their teens and 20's. They are out there, and these collectors feel no need to slab their books because they have no intention of selling them until old age, illnes, or economic necessity force them to. Does that mean every book in their collection is a 9.4, no. But they will be generally better preserved than much of what you see on ebay and there will be gems galore on the market in the next 20 years. I am willing to bet the next 2-3 years alone will see the higher grades increase by 10-fold in the CGC census. Any takers?

I am new here but I too believe that there are plenty of high gade material out there waiting to be slab or never will. I've stumbled on 3-4 large collection since the early nineties full of high grade books. By the way thanks for posting the scan of Subby #8 here's another better scan of marvel Super-Heroes #1. Just another sample from my collection figured I would show a square bound book this time. I purchased these and about a hundred more in simliar condition ranging from Early Fantastic Four to Tomb of Dracula all from an original owner collection just a few years ago. laugh.gif

Please tell me you're kidding. I don't understand why CGC collectors can not understand the shear numbers involved here. And the role of demographics and the start of the hobby. There are THOUSANDS, if not 10's of 1000's of collections of books with much HG Silver and Bronze that no one in the collecting community knows about. These collections started in the 60's and 70's and are owned by people who were then in their teens and 20's. They are out there, and these collectors feel no need to slab their books because they have no intention of selling them until old age, illnes, or economic necessity force them to. Does that mean every book in their collection is a 9.4, no. But they will be generally better preserved than much of what you see on ebay and there will be gems galore on the market in the next 20 years. I am willing to bet the next 2-3 years alone will see the higher grades increase by 10-fold in the CGC census. Any takers?

Oh, I'll take this bet in a NY minute. No way the census will go up 10-fold, or even 5-fold, for high grade books, unless you're including modern (and maybe Bronze). Why? Some reasons:

- If the census were to go up say 3x in terms of high grade Silver (that's the category we're focusing on, right?) in the next couple of years, the remaining owners of high grade copies would be further disincentivized to submit their copies, IMO.

- The vast majority of copies of any Silver Age book were read over and over; I'd estimate the % of existing copies of a given SA book that are actually in high grade (VF or better) has got to be less than 5%.

- Many of the collectors you refer to (I was one of them, essentially; kept 3k pre-1980 books stowed away in boxes for 15+ years without looking at 'em) probably haven't even heard of mylar, so their non-slabbed books are slogging along in ancient polybags, dropping at least slightly in grade over time, especially if they don't have backing boards.

- The standards for 'high grade' keep going up... the collectors you refer to may indeed think they have huge troves of high grade books, but many are in for a shock when they discover that the NM of 1985 is the VF- of today.

Not saying there's no substance to your claim, but I do think you're overstating things pretty considerably. No way the number of high grade SA books in the census is going to increase by 1000% in 2-3 years, IMO.

That may be... but 10x in 3-4 years? That's some serious hyperbole. Further, I'm of the opinion that the submissions will slow down over time, not only because the most likely candidates for slabbing will in many instances already be slabbed, but because if you're the proud owner of a high grade copy of ASM 14, and there are 150 high grade copies already in the census, what's your motivation to slab yours? (Unless you're ready to sell, of course.)

And let's not forget that, as time goes on, the census numbers stray further and further from reality; *some* % of the books listed as being slabbed are re-subs. No way to really calculate this, but I believe this % could grow over time, not diminish. The changing nature of grading, and the up-and-down nature of CGC's grading in particular, lend themselves to people re-submitting books over time. The motivation for those people to acknowledge that the book in question is a re-sub is simply not there. If you're shooting for a higher grade upon re-submitting (and everyone is, let's face it), are you really going to send in the label with the "VF+ 8.5" on it, even though CGC guarantees that the graders won't see this?