• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JUST BACK FROM IRON MAN PREMIERE

86 posts in this topic

I've just got home from the movie. I think it's too early for me to critique it on any kind of scale but if anyone wants to know anything specific just ask - Ill type any spoilers in white text and give warning.

Nice to see the whole cast and crew turn up to a UK premiere though :golfclap:

I've just got home from the movie. I think it's too early for me to critique it on any kind of scale but if anyone wants to know anything specific just ask - Ill type any spoilers in white text and give warning.

:popcorn:

Give us a rating, one thru ten.

:popcorn:

Give us a rating, one thru ten.

Please...and what the cheesiness factor is from 0 to 10 ( I hope it's 0).

Regarding the rating out of ten. its hard as I dont want to dissapoint anyone. What Id say is its not as bad as Deredevil but sadly nowhere near as strong (hero movie wise) as Synger's X-Men or Raimi's Spiderman.

Action fans will be SORELY dissapointed, those who have never really read Iron man will be happy to spend the hours getting to know Stark and wallow in a skewed origin story.

As a big fan of the character already I was a bit short changed

SLIGHT SPOILER WARNING BELOW

The biggest thing for me was the fact that Iron man proper only gets two outings.

wow. Can't we just watch some action w/o damn origin for god sakes. No one ould care if they never told us how he became Iron Man. You think books start out with mess like this. No. they don't start with, this is _______ he is married to _______ his son is a photographer. He is a spy on a mission. UGH/. rantrant

"Action fans will be SORELY dissapointed"

This is not good. :(

I dont mind a lack of blockbuster action if the characters and story are strong - but the thing about this for me was it was neither one nor the other.

But if you look at the spoiler you'll see what I mean by lack of action.

Regards cheesiness factor -= its not at all. There ARE some misplaced slapstick moments (testing jetpacks and crashing into walls etc) and some awful but obligatory will they wont they moments with pepper. Paltrow is TERRIBLE but Downey Jr is career best.

Other people who will be dissapointed will be fans of other characters (good or bad).

wow. Can't we just watch some action w/o damn origin for god sakes. No one ould care if they never told us how he became Iron Man. You think books start out with mess like this. No. they don't start with, this is _______ he is married to _______ his son is a photographer. He is a spy on a mission. UGH/. rantrant

you should DEFINATELY not go see this movie. ;-) It is exactly what you have just said - take that as you may. I often think directors add hours of origin to appease fan backlash - when they are exactly the ones who dont need it.

So this is not on the level of Spiderman 1 or 2, and not quite as bad as Daredevil. Would this be on the Eric Bana Hulk level type of movie?

Thanks to Downey Jr's excellent performance it is more satisfying than HULK. He needs every inch of his charisma to get us through hours of needless origin.

The scenes that do have action are excellent - the suits are excellent and the ending....will be controversial. But it's not something thats going to live long in the memory or have kids flooding to buy action figures, but it's a passable experience.

P.S. I was joined this evening by two collegues who have never picked up a comic and they really enjoyed it.

You see, you expect the average person to know about IM's history. But,amazing as it sounds, most folks dont know Tony Stark from Tony Sprano.

Imagine it :yeahok:

"I was joined this evening by two collegues who have never picked up a comic and they really enjoyed it. "

This is good. (thumbs u

Yes - they didnt mind at all being hand held through the origin and key support characters origins like obidiah, jim, pepper and a touching on S.H.I.E.L.D. It was all new to them.

Basically if they had called this IRON MAN part 1 and promised a quick follow up ala Kill Bill it would have been perfectly acceptable as it leaves us perfectly poised for a real film.

Great cameo from Stan Lee as ever!

also Terrence Howard revealed in his speech that their will be a sequel.

So this is not on the level of Spiderman 1 or 2, and not quite as bad as Daredevil. Would this be on the Eric Bana Hulk level type of movie?

Thanks to Downey Jr's excellent performance it is more satisfying than HULK. He needs every inch of his charisma to get us through hours of needless origin.

The scenes that do have action are excellent - the suits are excellent and the ending....will be controversial. But it's not something thats going to live long in the memory or have kids flooding to buy action figures, but it's a passable experience.

P.S. I was joined this evening by two collegues who have never picked up a comic and they really enjoyed it.

Who says Daredevil is bad?

I have that movie in my top 5 of best comic movies ever made!

I dont get how any comic fan didnt enjoy that movie, I just shake my head.

I may be to optismistic but I think IM is going to be f ing awesome.

Just the action scenes in the trailer are enough to make me believe that no comic movie to date will even come close to making their character and action scenes look so real.

Just the action scenes in the trailer are enough to make me believe that no comic movie to date will even come close to making their character and action scenes look so real.

Yes the action thats there is phenomenal. I really loved the inside of the helmet shots and termninator style POV shots;

Yes the action thats there is phenomenal. I really loved the inside of the helmet shots and termninator style POV shots;

Thats good to hear!