• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Up With All the HG 1950s SA?

104 posts in this topic

This is seeming to cause you a lot of stress. Maybe we can persuade Mr. Toth to withdraw and then burn his books. hm

hm

I just wish Heritage would release his collection in dribs and drabs, rather than all at once. Of course, myself being a big proponent of the "selling a big run simultaneously generates more interest and higher prices than selling in small pieces" theory, I totally understand what they`re doing and agree that they`re advising him to do the right thing.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. :(

This is seeming to cause you a lot of stress. Maybe we can persuade Mr. Toth to withdraw and then burn his books. hm

hm

I just wish Heritage would release his collection in dribs and drabs, rather than all at once. Of course, myself being a big proponent of the "selling a big run simultaneously generates more interest and higher prices than selling in small pieces" theory, I totally understand what they`re doing and agree that they`re advising him to do the right thing.

is this "all" his collection? from the bio, seemed like there should be more books to come.

hm

is this "all" his collection? from the bio, seemed like there should be more books to come.

I was wondering the same thing.

The breadth and configuration of the auction books does not give an impression of a "part one" offering so maybe any follow-up will be books other than SA DC?

tth2 made the point that collectors may well pass on books they might otherwise have been interested in because of focusing on highest priorities. This might keep bidder numbers down on some books but not necessarily the bid amounts. I believe this set of books is now so hyped that the frenzy will be so fierce as to put Jaws in a swimming pool of learners to shame!

It may be that future collections will emerge to a less desperate market or even that these books will come up for sale again in a more moderate atmosphere.

Once a few of the more dedicated bidders get their books it may be easier next time. An example of this would be the Action #285 in CGC 9.4 last year, sellling for over $3000. That sale could not produce a follow-up of comparable amount, as several more 9.4 copies came to market, because the moment of fever had passed.

This is why I decided to sell off my HG GL #7 (9.2) and earlier Flashes (two were tied for top census in 9.0) last year. Watching the high prices and new additions in the same or higher grades to the census were all I needed to see that there would be a number of new books/collections coming up for sale soon. Unlike SA Marvels or even BA Adams DCs, the market for early SA DCs is just too small to hold up insane prices on non-key books unfortunately.

I am willing to bet that the same thing happens to GA books in the future as new collections come onto the market with the masses of boomers retiring in the next decade or so. Regardless of what the GA collectors say, how many $100,000+ books can be absorbed at the same time if it is some of the high $$$ collectors (or their estates) selling off their own collections?

This is why I decided to sell off my HG GL #7 (9.2) and earlier Flashes (two were tied for top census in 9.0) last year. Watching the high prices and new additions in the same or higher grades to the census were all I needed to see that there would be a number of new books/collections coming up for sale soon. Unlike SA Marvels or even BA Adams DCs, the market for early SA DCs is just too small to hold up insane prices on non-key books unfortunately.

I am willing to bet that the same thing happens to GA books in the future as new collections come onto the market with the masses of boomers retiring in the next decade or so. Regardless of what the GA collectors say, how many $100,000+ books can be absorbed at the same time if it is some of the high $$$ collectors (or their estates) selling off their own collections?

There is another school of thought regarding the high grade D.C. market....the gradual bolstering of it's ranks by SA Marvel collectors .I believe some of this will occur.I myself am interested in some of those items although I am not a completeist.There are several copies of all the main titles that I would like to own or shall we say...rent.There may be more accomadation of a brief market saturation than may have been previously assumed.I was a Marvel zombie,yet I can't deny the appeal of a GL 8,a Action 241,a Superman 106,a JLA 16,a Flash 110 or 125,a Detective 298,a Batman 121,a Hawkman 4, and that is just the tip of the iceburg.Granted,I'm a blue collar guy and not much of a serious threat but there are many more like me.From the standpoint of a Marvel guy...many of the SA D.C.'s still seem very CHEAP in comparison and apparantly a LOT more scarce.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

hm

My understanding is that there are thousands of books in the collection, but most of the top census-type copies are in this auction. But I could be wrong about this.

Once a few of the more dedicated bidders get their books it may be easier next time. An example of this would be the Action #285 in CGC 9.4 last year, sellling for over $3000. That sale could not produce a follow-up of comparable amount, as several more 9.4 copies came to market, because the moment of fever had passed.

Well, I think it`s important to keep some perspective on that particular book. Even with 4 9.4 copies out there now (which is a LOT for an early SA DC), Action 285 is still selling for over 5X Guide in 9.4. I don`t know many Marvels that can still achieve that multiple in 9.4. The initial price paid for the Action 285 was just outlandish, particularly given there was already another 9.4 copy on the market at the time, so it`s not surprising that the price has plunged since then. But I don`t interpret the drop in prices as indicative of lessened demand, more a reversion to reality. In fact, I have to say I`ve been really impressed with how well the 9.4 prices of Action 285 have held up in light of the "deluge" (in DC terms) of NM or better copies that have surfaced since then.

Regardless of what the GA collectors say, how many $100,000+ books can be absorbed at the same time if it is some of the high $$$ collectors (or their estates) selling off their own collections?

But it is not the high $$$ collectors who are selling. Most of the great GA books that are being sold, and which might be sold in the future, tend to come from old school collectors who`ve had the books for 15+ years, and for the most part they are not the guys who have been splashing out $100K+ recently.

The question is whether the new wave of high $$$ collectors will be able to continue absorbing all the material as the old school guys, or their estates, continue to release prime books into the market. I think they can and will.

Well, I think it`s important to keep some perspective on that particular book. Even with 4 9.4 copies out there now (which is a LOT for an early SA DC), Action 285 is still selling for over 5X Guide in 9.4. I don`t know many Marvels that can still achieve that multiple in 9.4. The initial price paid for the Action 285 was just outlandish, particularly given there was already another 9.4 copy on the market at the time, so it`s not surprising that the price has plunged since then. But I don`t interpret the drop in prices as indicative of lessened demand, more a reversion to reality. In fact, I have to say I`ve been really impressed with how well the 9.4 prices of Action 285 have held up in light of the "deluge" (in DC terms) of NM or better copies that have surfaced since then.

All very true. I didn't mean to imply a lessening of demand; rather to say that after the initial sale the remaining collectors after an Action 285 in CGC 9.4 have not been prepared to compete to such a high price.

My overall point was that some of the potentially extrememly high prices about to be realized in these auctions may not be repeated in future for books of similar grades.

The classic dilemma for all collectors is in trying to second guess what will happen. There are times when I have bought a book, then soon after seen a better copy or similar copy at a cheaper price. I have also passed on books and then really regretted that decision.

We seem to get punished for many our comic book buying decisions!

I suppose the question many of us are wondering is just how many more "Roth" collections are there waiting to be unleashed? We can't assume anything, but it may be that the first few such collections coming to market will fare better than later ones.

I'm pretty sure I could handle the "punishment" you'll be getting for your collection. :shy:

All very true. I didn't mean to imply a lessening of demand; rather to say that after the initial sale the remaining collectors after an Action 285 in CGC 9.4 have not been prepared to compete to such a high price.

My overall point was that some of the potentially extrememly high prices about to be realized in these auctions may not be repeated in future for books of similar grades.

The classic dilemma for all collectors is in trying to second guess what will happen. There are times when I have bought a book, then soon after seen a better copy or similar copy at a cheaper price. I have also passed on books and then really regretted that decision.

Agood case in point is GL # 8 CGC 9.0.....an auction closed a few years ago at around $ 1500.A second similar copy came to auction and I didn't bid, as I expected a similar result which was beyond my means.It closed for $ 500.I would probably have gone double that.It always pays to bid if you really want the item...you never know.GOD BLESS...

Does anyone know if the Registry owner "trintrek" is the same guy consigning these Toth books? I saw a recent addition to the registry (owner TrinTrek) and many of the books listed are the same ones at Heritage...

This will be an interesting auction to watch. Unfortunately for me, many of my previously "highest graded" 9.2/9.4 SA DCs are now 2nd highest. I might just sit this one out...

Does anyone know if the Registry owner "trintrek" is the same guy consigning these Toth books? I saw a recent addition to the registry (owner TrinTrek) and many of the books listed are the same ones at Heritage...

This will be an interesting auction to watch. Unfortunately for me, many of my previously "highest graded" 9.2/9.4 SA DCs are now 2nd highest. I might just sit this one out...

The auction may actually increase the value of your books anyway.I still believe the SA D.C.'s are approaching what is called the "tipping point"....that mercurial point in which a fad is born.GOD BLESS...

Others here have speculated that is the case. Or it might be Heritage registering everything for him.

but if we all sit it out, they will go for a song!!!!! aaarrrggghhhhh no way out. no way out. no way out.

i always thought you were leo bloom.

no. but I sometimes wear a cardboard belt! so I could be Max too!

The auction may actually increase the value of your books anyway.I still believe the SA D.C.'s are approaching what is called the "tipping point"....that mercurial point in which a fad is born.GOD BLESS...

If so its about freaking time. DCs have always slingshotted after Marvels shoot up, but not yet this time around... yet. The big money might have been waiting for 9.4s, and finally, here they come.

but if we all sit it out, they will go for a song!!!!! aaarrrggghhhhh no way out. no way out. no way out.

i always thought you were leo bloom.

no. but I sometimes wear a cardboard belt! so I could be Max too!

lol "Bialystock und Bloom! Bialystock und Bloom!" (the movie...)